My dog has cancer

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Greenbean7, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

My "old" dog, Aster, has cancer.

Aster will be 11 in May. She is a black lab and we have had her since she was 6 weeks old. She is my DH's dog, but as she's aged she has become more my dog than his. We are both a little slow and prefer to stay inside and keep warm.

The cancer is in her spine at the base of her tail and the tumor is about as big as a tangerine. It has already spread into her spine and there is nothing that can be done other than just keeping her comfortable.

It will probably affect her bowel control first, before it affects her walking.

So far she doesn't seem to be in any pain and I am pampering her as much as possible. When I woke up and my pillow was on the floor I reached down to pick it up and found Aster's had laid her head on it. Rather than wake her I just spent the rest of the night without my pillow.

Just needed to tell someone who would understand and not just tell me she is "just a dog". You all know how I am about my fuzzy kids. The pic in my profile is of her and Rey. Rey is watching a dog on Animal Planet and Aster is looking out the window. It's not a good pic of her, but, trust me, she is beautiful.

Thanks for listening,

2. sisland

sisland New Member

Sorry to hear about Aster! If your like me you want them to live forever! I Lost my Little dog last september from a seizure disorder,,,,So Sad! I Will keep you and Aster in My Daily Prayers,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,S
  3. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

I'm so sorry. If only they could be with us forever.

4. paulmack

paulmack New Member

So sorry to hear about Aster,i hope her pains aren't too bad.Yeh,they do become part of the family,
  5. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Thank you all so much. I knew you would understand.

Paul - the pic on your profile would make a wonderful jigsaw puzzle!

6. paulmack

paulmack New Member

It certainly would,but it would be quite difficult I think with all the trees & green background.We could call it the Scottish Hogwarts Express Jigsaw,lol.That's the train used in one of the Harry Potter films being filmed on Glenfinnan Viaduct in the Scottish Highlands.
  7. gnanny

gnanny New Member

How sad. A familiar story these days. Everyone in my family has lost a loved family pet to cancer. Seems to me to be just about an epidemic. There has to be a common denominator. Could be breeding but I suspect it is the pet food we buy.

My last two dogs had cancerous tumors. I cannot bear the thought of losing another pet, too painful. If someday I decided to try again I would feed my pet only organic food.

I am so sorry for your time of sadness.
    take care, stephanie
  8. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Thank you.

My kids are now fed Flint River Ranch. It is expensive, but worth it.

When we got Aster we fed her Purina Pro Plan which is what our trainer recommended.

When we got Rey three years ago and went back to the same trainer she said she no longer recommended Purina Pro Plan because she had lost several dogs to cancer.

She did a lot of research and found that Flint River was one of the best ones (at least commerical food, homemade is better if you have the time and energy).

So we have fed the Flint River ever since we got Rey. He went from mom and homemade food to Flint River. Of course we may not know for years how he eventually does on it, but I really think it is good. It is made with all human grade ingredients and baked, it looks like broken cookies instead of extruded into kibble.

9. gnanny

gnanny New Member

As suggested by our vet.

Now I tell anyone who will listen to avoid supermarket pet foods.
    It just cant be co-incidental that everyone I know has lost a furry family member to cancer.

My heart goes out to you.
  10. elliespad

elliespad Member

I feel so bad for you and Aster. I know how much we love our pets. I just lost my beautiful Shar Pei Ellie in October. Ellie and I shared a bond that was very special, so I know how you feel about your Aster. I will pray that God would give you many more happy times with her. Take lots of pictures, and look at this window of time as a gift. I thank God for our companion animals who bring us so much joy and love. .
  11. Lynna62

Lynna62 New Member

So sorry about your dog. I lost one to cancer, he was my constant companion when I first got sick. It was terrible to lose him and I swore I would not go through owning another pet.....I made it a whole 5 weeks before I got another boxer puppy.

He is not a replacement for the dog I lost but it certainly helped me to take my mind off of my loss and it helped to have another "bed buddy". I will be thinking of you and your hubby and Aster too.

12. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

I'm so sorry to read this...

Thinking of you all~Alicia
  13. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Looks like Aster is a beautiful, special dog. I'm very sorry to hear she has cancer. If she's 11, I'll bet she's had a rich, happy life with you. I'm very attached to my dog and know how incredible a companion dogs can be.
  14. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

about your dog. I know how they become part of the family. We have 2 dogs and I can't imagine being without them, they make life worthwhile, along with all my other pets of course.

I hope you are able to keep Aster comfortable for a good while and spend quality time with her.
  15. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

My heart goes out to you & your pup. I an so sorry. Sounds like you have had many beautiful years together.

I really feel for you... such a hard thing to go thru.

Big Love Hugs going out to you & the family!
  16. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I am so sorry, I KNOW how much you love both of your dogs and how much they mean to you.

Just know that in the grand scheme of things, Aster is meant to be with you and you are meant to be her wonderful caretaker.

May you both enjoy many more hours cuddled up together...

Nancy B
  17. JLH

JLH New Member

I am so sorry to hear about your dog. This is terrible news and I know it really hurts. Your pets really do become a part of your family. I know ours has.

18. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Lost my dog to cancer 18 months ago. It is so sad and I pray for you too. God Bless, Annie Cromwell
  19. kriket

kriket New Member

I am sorry to hear about your beloved dog. We had a black lab when I was growing up that developed cancer. He jumped out of the back of the truck while we were going down the road and broke his leg. He had to have a pin put into his leg. He formed cancer around that bone that had broken. The vet. told us that a lot of times an animal will form cancer around an injured area especially when they have a pin.

Spend as much time with your Aster as you can. They are just like family, I don't care what anyone says.

20. ckball

ckball New Member

I am so sorry to hear your news. Just enjoy the time you have left with him. I don't know what I would do without my 2 girls.

I lost my 15 yo cat last year, I had him since he was 6 weeks old. I still miss. Hang in there and you know you have friends here-Carla