My dog just died

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kdeenak, Apr 11, 2006.

1. kdeenak

kdeenak New Member

My mom called me about 45 min. ago and said my dachschund that we had since 1995 was dead. My mom came home from work and called him, but he wouldn't come. She went to see what was wrong and found him dead. He wasn't breathing and was cold.

She said this morning before she went to work he acted like he was feeling fine, he ate and everything.

Today it was weird because out of the blue he crossed my mind and I felt like something was wrong. When she called I thought again about him, and it was like I wasn't surprised. I was fine until a little while ago, I guess it finally hit me that he is gone. My husband had to leave to go volunteer at a charity clinic so I am all alone and am just so sad.

I feel guilty because I left home a few years ago and I left him with my mom. He was "my dog" but my mom loved him and he was a lot of company to her. I always felt sort of like I abandoned him. It's silly, huh?

I guess I just needed to talk to someone. I am trying not to cry, but it is hard. It is real hard that my mom is having to bury him by herself. I feel bad about that, but I have no transportation to get there, and it is an 1 1/2 hours away. I feel like I have let everyone down.

Deena
  2. Katee32

Katee32 New Member

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your dog.

Hugs

Kate
  3. wildflowers2

wildflowers2 New Member

I am sorry for the loss of your pet..

soft hugs

wildflowers
  4. skierchik

skierchik New Member

I am so sorry your dog passed. Please don't feel guilty about it. You didn't abandon him. Your mom needed him and you knew that. That was very unselfish on your part. Moving is very stressful for an older dog and it was probably best for him too. And please have a good cry about it; don't hold it in. It will relieve a lot of stress and you'll feel better.

I have a chow named Ming, so I know how strong the love for a pet can be. Click on my profile and you can see him.

Again, I am sorry for your loss!

Hugs to you,

skierchik
  5. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

We've got a sheltie named cosmo.I know he is getting old.It's something you don't even want to think of.Condolences,Linda
  6. kdeenak

kdeenak New Member

I just feel so guilty. I am afraid he thought I abandoned him. He was my baby. I feel like I should have been there when it happened.
  7. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

....that's all that matters. He didn't feel abandoned. It's natural for you to be sad and if you need to cry then go ahead.

You could have a little remembrance yourself if that would help.
    Take Care
    Kathy.
  8. kimfibro

kimfibro New Member

i agree with skierchik in that DO have a few good cries. it is natural and okay.

and, yes, your mother needed the dog as well. considering the age you certainly did the right thing. i'm sure deep down you know that but today you should be able to grieve whenever and about whatever.

ya know, every time we get a puppy or a kitten we open our homes and hearts up. i'm sure your pet has had a healthy, spoiled rotten life and for THAT you can crack a smile as well. i've got 2 cats right now; they are getting a bit up there in age too. they don't mind it -- they are loved and spoiled.

my condolences again to you and your family...

9. KittyCat

KittyCat New Member

I am very sorry that you lost your dog. My heart was so broken when my dog had to be put down when I was a child. He was my 'buddy.' He'd gotten hit by a car, and never really recovered. We could tell he was in a lot of pain and probably wouldn't recover. I hope you will feel better soon. Don't feel guilty. I'm sure your dog had a nice home and was cared for.
  10. Jo29

Jo29 New Member

I am so sorry to hear that your dog died. I know your Mother is upset also. Just remember that he was a companion for your Mother and you were thinking of her too.

I am sure he loved your Mother also and felt at home there.

I will be thinking of you.

Jodi
  11. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

I am so sorry for what you are going through. It is a painful thing to lose a pet.

When I left home my cocker spaniel stayed behind with my parents. He was happy there and didn't need to be moved at his age. I went to my parents' home about once a week and we were always so happy to see each other. He would recognize my car and be right there waiting for me.

When I was eight months pregnant my parents came over and went shopping and out to have lunch with me. We'd spent the day together just having fun. As they were about to leave to go home, Daddy told me he had something to tell me. He told me that my dog had passed away that morning. I was so upset that my BP shot sky high. I was placed in the hospital and labor was induced to save my unborn baby.

That was 26 years ago this month. I still love that little dog. My baby was born healthy and she is expecting her first baby in September.

Reading your story brought these memories back to me. It's okay to cry. I'm sure he did not feel abandoned. He was with your mom and I'm sure he felt like he was still right at home. Go ahead and cry. In the future you will be able to remember him with a smile just like I do my dog today.

((((((((((Hugs and Love)))))))))

Linda
  12. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

Ohh, so sorry to hear about your little dog.

My kitty is so dear to me. I adopted him three years ago but prior to that I lost my best furry friend, Hobbes and then my first rescue cat, Lassie within the same year.

Lassie was somewhere around 21 and completely senile when she had to be put to sleep. Hobbes was my baby - had him since he was a kitten. He got really sick when he was 12 - I used to be a vet tech, so I nursed him at home, gave him IV fluids, force feeding, to no avail.

When he died, what helped me was to make a memory book of my favorite pictures of him. I had him cremated - and I found a website on line when I was buying an urn for his ashes that made mourning jewelry. I bought a silver pendant that I put a little bit of his ashes into - so that I could have a little bit of him with me wherever I went.

Many people have commented on what a pretty pendant it is, but have no idea that it's a little mini-urn.

Maybe it's weird, but it really comforted me.

Don't feel guilty for not being there. It sounds like he went very peacefully and quickly. The best way to go as far as I'm concerned.

My Mom ended up "keeping" my first cat too - she always used to complain when I was in high school that as soon as I had my own place, kitty was coming with me.

Well, when I graduated from college and got my first apartment, I told her I was ready to take Wimby andher reply was "Oh no you're not, she's my kitty now." LOL

Unconditional love on this earth is rare. Our pets are one of the few sources of it.

Hugs,
    Madame Curie
  13. kdeenak

kdeenak New Member

You all are such special people. You really are. Bless you all. I don't know how I would have gotten through this night without you. I felt so sad and guilty, but I know now that it is okay, he loved my mom and me. He was such a good dog. He died peacefully I think, so at least he didn't suffer.

I was home alone and depressed and didn't want to talk to anyone. However, after your posts I decided to call my mom to make sure she was okay. She had just buried him and we cried on the phone together and talked quite a while.

Thanks again for all your caring words. It helps a lot to know you all care.

Hugs,

Deena

P.S.-I love hearing all your pets stories, and seeing pictures. They make me smile and remind me of Benny, my beloved dachschund who is in heaven now.[This Message was Edited on 04/11/2006]
  14. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

So sorry.

I know the pain of losing a pet.

Mine are part of the family, it is very painful to lose them.

In sympathy,

Claudia
  15. mlp1954

mlp1954 New Member

Just think if you hadn't had him, all the love you would have missed. It is so hard losing a doggie. As the days and weeks go by, maybe even months, it gets easier and the good times will prevail. Your little doxie was so lucky to have so many people love him so much. So many doggies dont have that. You are special for loving him that much and for caring so much about him. I have three doggies now, look at my profile, they are the happiness of my life. We lost our Boston Terrier last July 7th, and so many doggies before that. We have had doggies since we got married 31 years ago. So much love over so many years. And so many tears when they pass. It is not fair they dont get to live longer. When you feel up to it go to the rainbowbridge.com and add your baby to it. It is all about lost pets. A gentle hug to you. I betcha one of my babies is up there greeting yours. Now they can run and play. Hugs. Pattie
  16. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I am so very sorry. Losing our beloved pets can be harder than grieving for humans. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Love, Mikie
  17. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

You gave your Mom a wonderful gift, companionship over the past years, don't feel guilty about that.....

Sorry for your loss of a very important family member. We know it is not easy.

Fondly, June
  18. kriket

kriket New Member

I am so sorry about your dog. They really are like family members. I have 7 and dread the day something happens to any of them. I will be thinking about you.
  19. Ritaritis

Ritaritis New Member

We had him put to sleep. He had a tumor in his mouth and it got so bad it pushed his teeth out. The vet said he had cancer all through him and he was suffering. I miss him greeting me every morning.I feel bad because we had him chained and he didn't go free to much. But I think He knew we loved him and that is all a animal really needs.That and food! Don't blame yourself I am sure your mom took good care of him. It is not at all silly. Everyone who has gotten attached to a animal would feel the same. You aren't alone.
  20. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

That your dog died suddenly like that. I lost two cats from sudden death like that, one in 2001 and the other in 1998. We buried them under the deck in the yard.

It was really hard for me and I still miss them to this day.

You didn't let him down, he had a good home.

Big hugs,
    Faye