My dog murdered a squirrel

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by woofmom, May 27, 2006.

1. woofmom

woofmom New Member

I know that's the way nature works but, it still breaks my heart.
  2. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

I know it is upsetting, but I'm not sure that dogs can commit murder.

Here is a dictionary definition of the word - murder:

unlawful premeditated killing of a human being [syn: homicide, slaying]

v 1: kill intentionally and with premeditation

I don't mean to belittle your feelings or offend you in any way. How does your dog feel about possums and armadillos? I've got a critter tearing up my yard and I wouldn't mind putting out a contract on it. LOL

This is all in jest....I'm only trying to lighten the mood.

Lolalee

3. libra55

libra55 New Member

Some breeds (mine in particular; Pembroke Welsh Corgis) have a high predatory index by nature. Corgis are actually bred to herd cattle on the farm and also to flush out and kill rodents and vermin. That is their heritage.

My own two have had a field day with mice, squirrels and rabbits in our back yard. It upsets my kids terribly and I find myself getting teary eyed too.

I guess they are just doing their job....

Michelle
  4. woofmom

woofmom New Member

It was premeditated. He stalks them every day. I'm the one who had to bury it. He only digs when he feels like it. I guess he's getting even cause they throw pine cones at him. That's what I get for owning a full blooded squirrel bully.
  5. suz9601

suz9601 Member

You're right on w/the Corgis. I have a Corgi too and he has had his share of rabbitts and birds..Birds seem to be his thing..It always bothers me, but then I realize that it is in their nature to get rid of them ..

Take care,
    Suz
    [This Message was Edited on 05/27/2006]
  6. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

You poor thing. I admire you for burying the squirrel. I don't know what I would have done, but I'm squeamish and a big chicken when it comes to things like that.

Were the squirrels actually throwing pine cones at him? I'd say they were provoking your dog and if it went to animal court, your dog would get off with a self-defense plea.(smile)

Those squirrels are pesky little critters. We have lots of them. I'll tell you, they really risk their lives when I catch them in my kitchen garden. I wouldn't kill one, of course, too squeamish, remember. But I do confess I keep little stones nearby to throw in their direction (not to hit them) to scare them off. They are pretty clever, though. As soon as they see me go back in the house, they come out again.

Lolalee

7. Marta608

Marta608 Member

.... but I'd forgive the little guy. After all, haven't you felt like letting something have it a time or two?

Seriously, it may discourage other squirrels from coming around, eating your flower bulbs and digging holes. Years ago my dad had flocks of noisy crows around their house. He shot one and stung it up high in a tree. No more crows...... :>(

Marta
  8. libra55

libra55 New Member

One of mine ate a bird once too. I didn't know til he coughed up feathers and little bones.

Ugh.

Michelle
  9. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I've got one two. She's a cereal killer.

You wouldn't know it by looking at her but I guess Dahmer's neighbors thought he was just an average guy.

She's the sweetest little boston terrier but she's done in a few birds, mice, and even the cutest little chipmunk. I frequently find out after the fact when she chokes on a feather (and that's the gentle description).

My kids have been begging for hampsters. You can imagine my hesitation.

Sofi
  10. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

I feel like an ol' school marm today...."cereal" killer...you mean like "Captain Crunch". Hon, I think you meant "serial" killer. Oh the fun we have with our fibro bloopers.

Hope you have a funny bone and don't get offended.

Bless you,

Lolalee
  11. carebelle

carebelle New Member

Poor Poor squirrel
    My parents had the most beautiful black squirrels in their back yard .That's the only place I ever saw black ones.When I'd sun bath they would throw nuts at me in the yard.they lived in ohio but my Dad said that the squirrels came from somewhere else.I just cant remember where.
    sorry about the murder,I hope you dug deep so they dont dig it up and leave it on your porch.
  12. elliespad

elliespad Member

Can I send my cat to your house for the weekend?
  13. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

Ya - that would be the fibro. hee hee.

Actually, cereal is more appropriate as she is eating them for breakfast. :)

Sofi
  14. woofmom

woofmom New Member

Sorry but Woof doesn't like cats either. When he was a puppy a neighbors cat would come on our porch and slap the drool out of him. He's never forgotten it. Also I thought dogs were supposed to be protective. Woof is a jealous fool. I can't even pet our concrete dog. Woof gets so mad that he shakes. He's like a red neck on steriods.
  15. Empower

Empower New Member

Oh, I am sorry. I know how you feel

My golden killed a chipmunk, a bird, and also a baby bunny. The baby bunny upset me the most. And she brought it to the door for me.

I screamed really loud!

I too had a hard time not being mad at my dog, but my husband told me to get over it
  16. elliespad

elliespad Member

Yes, I gathered that he wouldn't like cats, that's why I asked if I could send me cat for the weekend. Oh, I know I'm gonna get blasted for that.
  17. doxielover70

doxielover70 New Member

Just last week. Freaked me out. The squirrels here like to tease the dogs. The same dog that killed the rat just killed another lizard. I hate when they do that. But doxies were meant to kill vermin too. I still feel bad when something gets killed.
  18. woofmom

woofmom New Member

I think PETA has a contract out on my dog.
  19. Scapper

Scapper New Member

It ***is** upsetting to visually experience that. I've had it happen and I was freaked for a while.

Not to sound insensitive, BUT I have an overabundant population of squirrels here and they destroy my garden -- I'd love to borrow your dog for a few days (lol!!!) -- I sound so cruel but I can't help it -- I hate these rodents.

scapper

20. woofmom

woofmom New Member

In our neighborhood he is known as Woof the Enforcer. I'd love for him to go help you but, he won't go. He'd worry to much about the squirrels and lizards taking over our yard. Besides that, he couldn't stand the thought of me having fun without him.