My doggy's sick :(

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by elliespad, Apr 3, 2007.

1. elliespad

elliespad Member

My Shar Pei has been loosing weight and not acting quite right. Brought her to the vet today, she is in Kidney Failure. I figured.

Just went through Kidney and Liver Failure with her mother, my beloved Ellie, (hence our home is elliespad). Anyway, we lost Ellie in October, and now her daughter Mitie Me is sick too. I am heartsick. It was a very painful and stressful time for me, the weeks leading up to her death. It was so physicially demanding providing Hospice care and I am devestated thinking I have to go through this again. It is not a nice way to go.

There are a few possible causes. One, of course, is she had a couple cans of Iams food back in February. I buy it very sporadically, only because it is available in a grocery store. Her main food is not on the recall list, so far.

The other possibility is Amyloidosis, which is a Shar pei curse, which causes kidney failure. Unique to the breed.

The other possibility is, that same exposure which poisoned them both last year, my neighbor put down Scotts Turf Builder II. Both dogs got REALLY sick that day, the older dog, a LOT worse. I knew Mitie ME was sickened too, but she was younger and healthier, and it may finally be manifesting as illness.

FYI: Scotts Turf Builder II contains Herbicides and IRON. DEADLY.

My heart is so sad.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/03/2007]
  2. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I am so sorry you're going through this....

Nancy B
  3. joyfully

joyfully New Member

I'm so sorry to hear about your other doggie being sick now.

So IRON is deadly to dogs????

My son's schnauzer insists upon long walks several times a day. I worry about weed n' feed in people's front lawns.

She gets into everything. It is so scary with all this dog food poisoning.

4. paulmack

paulmack New Member

So sorry to hear about Mitie Me,must be heart-wrenching watching her suffer.
    Try to take extra good care of yourself over the next few weeks.Regards,Paul.
  5. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I'm so sorry. You know how I am about dogs and I assume every other dog parent feels the same. My prayers are with you.

(I put puppy in the title because they're all "puppies" to me!)

Stop and smell the puppies!
  6. sisland

sisland New Member

Wow~~~So sorry to Hear about your fur baby!,,,,,The Landlord where i live sprays the weeds all around the apartment complex with some kind of Chemical,, all summer long,,,,,,,We Hate it! it's so dangerous for the pets!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,So i try really Hard to keep the weeds pulled,,,,,,,,Hope she gets better!,,,,,,s
    [This Message was Edited on 04/04/2007]
  7. elliespad

elliespad Member

I'm guessing she might get a few months. Don't know. Very sad.
  8. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I have had to say goodbye to many wonderful dogs and it is absolutely heartbreaking every time.

It is a testament to what truly great creatures they are that we are willing to endure this pain in order to live with and care for them.

I'm so very sorry that you have to go through this but it is obvious that your little friend could not be in better hands.

In Peace,

9. dononagin

dononagin New Member

I'm so sorry... we lost our cat to the bad pet food.. I know how your feeling. Hugs...
  10. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I`m so sorry to hear your beloved pet is sick. I hope somehow, someway she can get better. I too have lost many wonderful animals and it is so hard. I`m sending up prayers for your and your furbay today.

Take care,
  11. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

So sorry for you and your little one. I pray she will recover. Thought I had the same going on with a cat who was on IAMS but her kidney function tests are great, it is some unknown reason she is not eating much. Pain maybe.

Thinking of you.

Love Annie C