my dogs are barking

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by massmike, Jul 5, 2003.

1. massmike

massmike New Member

Hi all,

My left heel and arch are killing me. Do many of you have that? If so what is the best way to deal with it, do I need to get special sneakers or shoes??

Sorry this is short but fatigued and in pain.

Thanks.
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

When my feet used to hurt I would soak them in Epson Salts and a small bottle of Peroxide. It always helped.

Since I have been taking magnesium, I do not have my feet hurt anymore.

Shalom, Shirl
  3. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

Understand totally.

You can freeze a 2 liter bottle filled with water, then roll it gently back and forth on the floor while sitting.

Dr. Scholl's has pads you can put in your shoes with the bottom of the heel "scooped out".

Or ask doc to refer you to a podiatrist and have orthotics made especially for you.
  4. Jen F

Jen F New Member

I don't remember if I ever had this problem, not on my feet much these days and my memory isn't good.

but, i also agree with the soak Shirl suggested, I use that for all sorts of aches and pains. God bless epsom salts.

And I agree with the inserts for your shoes, at least until you can get orthotics if necessary.

Somebody will probably know what exercises might help the foot and arch.

Hope you feel better soon.

Jen F
  5. fibrodoll

fibrodoll New Member

I am on my feet all day. I try to find shoes with somee build in support, also some cushioning. I also use inserts with arch support.

Shoes don't have to be expensive, I just got a pair on clearence from payless. They are working so far and I only paid 10 dollars.

I have been wondering for those who soak, how much epsom salts do you use? Valley
  6. franners

franners New Member

I keep changing my shoes... I never wear the same shoe two days in a row, sounds corky I know but it does help. I think it is because we don't wear down the support in the shoes..
  7. Suzan

Suzan New Member

Which I understand to mean shortening of the muscles in your foot. Try stretching out your foot, by sitting on the floor, and using a towel on the ball of your foot, grab the ends of the towel and pull your toes toward you. You can do this as often as you can throughout the day. I have found relief in as little as two weeks of this therapy. Now I routinely stretch, and haven't had this recur for years.If you don't get relief after 2 weeks, then you should see a doctor.
  8. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I saw a foot doctor about my foot pain and what he said really surprised me!
    He said that athletic shoes have been the best thing ever invented for increasing his business! He told me that feet are meant to WORK to support you, and when you wear shoes that do the job for you, your feet become deconditioned, just like the rest of you does when you never exercise. He told me to go barefoot as much as possible and to wear as little shoe as I could stand. That was fine with me, since I love flip-flops in the hot Florida climate.
    Also, magnesium has helped me too. I do range of motion and stretching exercises for my feet every other day before I get on my treadmill, and the only place I wear my athletic shoes now is on the treadmill.
    Klutzo
  9. Jen F

Jen F New Member

In a full bath, you should use more than 1 cup of epsom salts for proper effect. I frequently use 2 - 4 cups.

For a foot bath, I'm not sure, but I would think at least 1/3 cup and maybe even a full cup.

maybe shirl would know.

jen F
  10. nancyneptune

nancyneptune New Member

about plantar fascitis. You probably are working on a heel spur too. I would get to the podiatrist quickly. The only thing that fixes it is rest. Then you can get orthotics if it isn't too far progressed. I let mine go for years.
    I ended up needing surgery to remove the spur, and the pain is still there.!
    I worked standing up all my life so It doomed me and my job. I had to quit because of it. Plase get it taken care of. N
  11. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I use about a half a cup of Epson Salts in about a gallon and a half of hot water in a foot tub or plastic container.

It truly helps. I can even wear my high heels again. No foot problems at all anymore.

Mine had started with a bone spur on my heel, then both feet started aching and swelling in the mornings really bad.

Those gel foot pads are really good too. My husband uses them in his work boots, he is running up three flights of metal stairs all the time at work. Very hard on the feet and ankles.

Shalom, Shirl