My Dr. said "Enough's Enough"

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CanBrit, Jul 6, 2008.

1. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

Some of you may have read of my troubles recently at work as well as when I was injured by falling snow and ice from a building.

The accident made my FM so much worse and my injured shoulder was causing difficulty in my commute to work (1 hour each way).

My Dr. gave work a letter recommending telework (work from home), but all they did was move me to an office that would allow me to take the bus to and from work from our village.

Well that didn't work either, so now he's written me off work. He said that either I get telework or I don't work at all.

I must admit I'm a little relieved along with scared. Disability insurance doesn't kick in for 13 weeks and it can take so much longer to start with. In Canada, we do have a government sick benefit that I have applied for which will help a little until the disability comes in.

I've worked since I was 14 until now, 52, with the exception of kids and going back to college in my 30's. I'm not sure I know how not to work.

Thank God my husband is off for the summer (he's a teacher). His being home makes it a little easier. I really do need to learn to relax, and maybe now I'll have the time to do some things that will help me, like Aquafit.

Strange times.......

Love to all

2. Honora88

Honora88 Member

It takes some time getting used to but it allows a lot of time to grow and reflect and really rest. I used to be a workaholic before I got sick
  3. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I really appreciate your comments. I know it's going to be a big adjustment. Part of me feels like I'm slipping into a depression. We are lucky to have a lovely property in the country and I enjoy listening to the birds or just sitting on the deck, yet I feel like I'm going into mourning if that makes any sense.

It just feels so weird. I can't say my pain's any better but it's sure not worse and a little easier to handle. My shoulder from the injury is acting up again and I'm hoping I can get another cortisone shot.

Thanks again..

4. padre

padre New Member

This is a great opportunity for you.

There are many losses with chronic illness and thus there is a good deal of grief associated with it. We lose self-image, identity, our work environment, regularly seeing our friends, and often some of our income.

Grief brings with it denial, anger, and depression. My wife is a teacher and when she is busy I feel more isolated.

The suggestion about starting anew is a good one. This is a chance to reinvent yourself based on your limitations. Your limitations may, in fact, be a gift.

An ancient story tells about Jacob wrestling with an angel. He hangs in there, ends up blessed and with a new identity. His new identity is far greater than his former one.

Learning to live with long term illness can do the same thing.
  5. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

Some good points for me. I've survived my first week and a half and it's gone by pretty quickly. I've actually made about 30 jars of jam!

My husband and I do enjoy being together but we also do our own stuff at the same time. He said the other day that he likes me at home. I've never been a housewife before. I'd like to be a really good one!

Thanks again for the uplift.