My dr, says I need to reduce my stress levels

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Beadlady, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

What things do you do to lower your stress levels?
  2. stick2013

stick2013 Member

Reducing stress is hard, as there is stress from everywhere. I have to eliminate really big stresses, or I become physically and emotionally sick....Other than that, I suggest that you try and develop healthy coping skills to deal with the stress. Stress gets to us, because we don't have healthy coping strategies...

Coping skills....

Bubble bath
    Light candles
    Deep breathing exercises, and focus on your breath
    Visualize a serene place
    Go to a serene place
    Lavender is calming
    Listen to soothing music
    Call a friend
    Volunteer for an hour
    Buy pretty flowers

Be in the moment and take in everything that is around you. See it, feel it, touch it, taste it, hear it. Be mindful of your surroundings....

Stress sucks, but we don't have to let it get to us......
  3. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

I learned in counseling to start putting myself first, if you are not well, you can't take care of others.

bubble baths, my pets, saying "first things first" if I get flustered.

ridding myself of negative people, though I live with one who first thing in the morning is complaining about whats on the news and newspaper.

tending to my own needs, such as staying warm, buying myself new clothes if I need them, and yes, saying no when I can.

Accepting help.

I am in chair yoga right now and it helps with the flexibility and sleep.

Going to the doctor if I need to.

I am not perfect with the "no" thing, but I do try. My motivation is if I get angry enough, I will do something about it.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Is the worst thing for us. Learning to let go of it can be difficult. I go back to the Serenity Prayer. First, identify what is in your power to control. For those things, simplify. Do not worry about what you cannot control.

Find time every day to sit quietly. At first, your mind will race but if you practice sitting quietly, eventually, you will be able to just be. That is the heart of meditation. Meditation is a state of nothingness.

Second, find things for which you feel gratitude. Some find it helpful to make a gratitude journal. When one feels gratitude, it is impossible to be stressed. Instead, it makes one feel blessed.

How many things in our lives do we do, not because we want to or because they give us pleasure, but because we feel we should or we feel guilty if we don't? Do we put off pleasures because we feel we must do our "shoulds" before we earn the right to enjoy ourselves?

Most of us here have been through hell and we have earned the right to the happiest, most stress-free lives we can achieve. Give yourself permission to live your life fully and enjoy it.

Love, Mikie
  5. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

A couple of thing that I find help:

Get some gentle exercise every day. This time of year, that means my rebounder.
    Spin wool into yarn on a hand spindle. It is very relaxing, as long as you don't get obsessive about how 'good' the yarn it.
  6. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

Thanks for your replies.

I am trying to be more aware of what things really bug me the most.

I have been taking time for just me every night--either on the computer or reading. Sometimes I wake up early but can't go back to sleep, so I lay in bed and read.

Very soon I'm going to sit down with hubby and tell him "HE" has to start doing more around here every day.

I was going to hire a teenager to help with house hold chores, but my hours have just been cut again so thats not going to be happening.