My Drs. appointment went well today

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by karen55, Nov 15, 2002.

1. karen55

karen55 New Member

I'm feeling a little overwhelmed right now. He was very open to things I had to say. That is one thing I like about this doctor, he LISTENS, and does not rush you to get to the next patient. There is usually a wait in his office, but you know that when it's YOUR turn, he will be with you until everything's covered. He told me he hates to even stereo-type any patient with having fibromyalgia because so many people just give up once they are formally diagnosed with it. I told him he should know by now, I was not the type to give up on anything, I am fighting *whatever* it is that's wrong with me every step of the way, and I told him some things I had decided on my own to try, and mentioned this "wonderful message board I stumbled across while searching the internet for info, where the people are very supportive and I'm learning things I need to know".
    Anyway, first the meds issue; I saw the nurse first and she asked if he was giving me enough meds to last between appointments and I told her, honestly no, I had been without some of them since last weekend. Then I told her I wanted to try something different for pain, that I'd been having to double the 5/500 Lortabs, since I needed more than just the one per dose on bad days, of which there have been quite a few lately, and I was concerned about the acetaminaphen and my liver. I asked about Vicoprofen, and she told me she thought I'd be better off with 10/500 Lortab, because the ibuprofen would do a number on my stomach. So, at this point that's what I'm using for pain, along with my Soma in the mornings, the Elavil and Zanaflex at night, and then after discussing all these with the Dr., I brought up the Bextra. I brought the article I printed that was posted here earlier today. Since I've never had any type of reaction to it, he suggested I go back to the 10mg per day dose (he had raised it to 20mg 6 weeks ago, and I quit taking it 3 weeks ago) because it would help with inflamation, so I agreed to give it another try.
    Then I brought up my thumbs, I told him I had been researching that too, and I really didn't think the pain I'm having in my hands is from the carpal tunnel, so he looked and was quite frankly, a little shocked at the swelling in the joints at the base of my thumbs, and at how the bones stick out, almost look deformed. Apparently I have fluid in both of them, and he didn't feel comfortable injecting them because it was hard to pinpoint the actual joints today. Fluid in one of my knees as well. So he has referred me to a rheumy, I've never seen one before. I was so afraid that meant he didn't want to treat me anymore, but I was wrong there, I'm to go back as usual in 6 weeks.
    I'm looking at the diagnoses he has written here for the rheumy and it states: myalgias, arthralgias, Chronic *something* I can't read, thumb effusions, myofascial pain. I've been reading a lot here about the last one; call me ignorant, but I guess I didn't realize just exactly what all the things I'm experiencing are called.
    The other thing, and this is where I would appreciate some advice/input/info if anyone knows anything, he wants me to try something called Provigil in the mornings for the fatigue. I'm really hesitant about that, and told him so, but I'm going to try it. Has anyone ever taken that?
    Sorry this has been so long, if you're still with me, thanks for *listening*, and thanks to everyone for the support.
  2. karen55

karen55 New Member

I'm feeling a little overwhelmed right now. He was very open to things I had to say. That is one thing I like about this doctor, he LISTENS, and does not rush you to get to the next patient. There is usually a wait in his office, but you know that when it's YOUR turn, he will be with you until everything's covered. He told me he hates to even stereo-type any patient with having fibromyalgia because so many people just give up once they are formally diagnosed with it. I told him he should know by now, I was not the type to give up on anything, I am fighting *whatever* it is that's wrong with me every step of the way, and I told him some things I had decided on my own to try, and mentioned this "wonderful message board I stumbled across while searching the internet for info, where the people are very supportive and I'm learning things I need to know".
    Anyway, first the meds issue; I saw the nurse first and she asked if he was giving me enough meds to last between appointments and I told her, honestly no, I had been without some of them since last weekend. Then I told her I wanted to try something different for pain, that I'd been having to double the 5/500 Lortabs, since I needed more than just the one per dose on bad days, of which there have been quite a few lately, and I was concerned about the acetaminaphen and my liver. I asked about Vicoprofen, and she told me she thought I'd be better off with 10/500 Lortab, because the ibuprofen would do a number on my stomach. So, at this point that's what I'm using for pain, along with my Soma in the mornings, the Elavil and Zanaflex at night, and then after discussing all these with the Dr., I brought up the Bextra. I brought the article I printed that was posted here earlier today. Since I've never had any type of reaction to it, he suggested I go back to the 10mg per day dose (he had raised it to 20mg 6 weeks ago, and I quit taking it 3 weeks ago) because it would help with inflamation, so I agreed to give it another try.
    Then I brought up my thumbs, I told him I had been researching that too, and I really didn't think the pain I'm having in my hands is from the carpal tunnel, so he looked and was quite frankly, a little shocked at the swelling in the joints at the base of my thumbs, and at how the bones stick out, almost look deformed. Apparently I have fluid in both of them, and he didn't feel comfortable injecting them because it was hard to pinpoint the actual joints today. Fluid in one of my knees as well. So he has referred me to a rheumy, I've never seen one before. I was so afraid that meant he didn't want to treat me anymore, but I was wrong there, I'm to go back as usual in 6 weeks.
    I'm looking at the diagnoses he has written here for the rheumy and it states: myalgias, arthralgias, Chronic *something* I can't read, thumb effusions, myofascial pain. I've been reading a lot here about the last one; call me ignorant, but I guess I didn't realize just exactly what all the things I'm experiencing are called.
    The other thing, and this is where I would appreciate some advice/input/info if anyone knows anything, he wants me to try something called Provigil in the mornings for the fatigue. I'm really hesitant about that, and told him so, but I'm going to try it. Has anyone ever taken that?
    Sorry this has been so long, if you're still with me, thanks for *listening*, and thanks to everyone for the support.
  3. kadywill

kadywill New Member

I am so glad you were listened to and informed. You can read a lot of posts here on the "search messages" place about Provigil....pros and cons~~~happy reading!
    Love,
    Kady
  4. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I`m glad you had a pretty good doctor visit. Also, I`m
    glad you asked about the Bextra because I`m taking that too
    and I`ve been wandering about it. I think it helps me a
    fair amount and I don`t seem to be having any bad reactions to it so I think I`ll keep taking it too.

Hugs
    Sandyz
  5. karen55

karen55 New Member

First, I did the thing with the fist, and it didn't cause any more pain. You can visibly see the swelling and the actual bones at the base of my thumbs hurt. I DO have carpal tunnel, and when I grasp or pick things up I get a shooting, sharp pain, particularly in my left thumb, and I have some weakness in that area, but I don't have any numbness or tingling anywhere in either hand. If you press on the bone at the base of my thumbs it causes awful pain.

Second, about the Provigil, what he prescribed is 200 mg. The one thing that concerned me when he brought it up was that I have MVP, and I wanted to be sure it wouldn't bring on any problems with that. I haven't had any problems with the MVP in years, and would like to keep it that way. So maybe I'll start with 1/2 of one???

Thanks for all the responses!
  6. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Sounds like you had a good day--a great listener, and advocate...all those things. Just wanted to pop in and say hurrah! Nice to hear a good Doc story!
    Karen