My erythrocyte sedimentation rate is Critically High...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kjfms, Aug 26, 2008.

1. kjfms

kjfms Member

I was diagnosed with FMS in 1998 and I have never had a problem with inflammation until lately (the last two times).

My latest result:

ESR = 47.0 mm/hr CRITICAL HIGH

Lab Reference Range = 0.0 - 20.0 mm/hr

I guess this is why my pain and headaches are so bad right now that I can hardly stand it....sigh

Anyone else having this problem?

Karen :)
    [This Message was Edited on 08/26/2008]
  2. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

i had a high sed rate once - it was 50. later retested and it went back to normal. hope yours does too.

3. msnova74

msnova74 New Member

Sorry to say this but. My sed rate is also extremely high when I am off of my antiinflammatories.

They DX me with mixed connective tissue disease when I was much younger. I also have FM

Now when my sed rate rises I have to go back on my prednisone and Methotrexate.

4. tandy

tandy New Member

generally they say that fibro is'nt inflammatory, but my sed rate is up many times.
    sometimes its ok.

Coincedentally its high when I'm in extreme body pain.
    (or flaring I guess)

Its been in the upper 50's a few times, and one of the times my Rhuemy had me try a month or 2 of prednisone.
    which is known to lower that sed rate.

It did help lower it but I did'nt like the side effects at all.
    hope it helps to know your not alone~
  5. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

I'm like Tandy - my sed rate goes high when my pain levels increase - it's been in the upper eighties a few times.

I believe that inflammation is a feature for some of us here and that a lot of people who have the high sed rate seem to say it correlates to pain levels.

It may be due to muscle inflammation - just my guess.

Gentle hugs,

Bunchy x
  6. kjfms

kjfms Member

Thanks for sharing with me. I will be tested again in about 3 1/2 weeks for the ESR and some other stuff.

I am curious to see what the results will be -- I still have a major flare going on...

Thanks again to everyone that posted on this subject,

Karen :)