MY EYES ARE SOOOBAD...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nannajo07, Aug 19, 2005.

1. nannajo07

nannajo07 New Member

Hi fibro friends..I'm new to this site and really think
    that it will be helpful for me.I was dx in 2000with fms/cfs
    even though I have been like this for at least 10 yrs.But,as some of you know or most of you know,it takes
    a very long time before they finally dx you.I have lots of info I hope to share with all of you, but, I need to ask
    are there any of you that have serious eye problems that
    have been brought on by our illness???????
    I look forward to reading your responses....
    Thanks
    fibro-jo,aka
    nannajo
    [This Message was Edited on 08/19/2005]
  2. ladybird1

ladybird1 New Member

I have trouble focusing, but I can't tell if its' just natural aging (I'm 51) or if its from fibro.
  3. libra55

libra55 New Member

Welcome! So glad to have you join us.

I have uveitis (autoimmune eye disease) but not sure if related to FM or not. Sometimes uveitis is a marker of other autoimmune disease in the body. I have been tested for RA, Lupus, MS, you name it. Nothing conclusive has been found.

What I do notice is in addition to the photosensitivity brought on by the uveitis, I keep needing stronger and stronger prescription for close work while distance vision remains basically the same. But that may be just age. I'm 49.

Michelle
    [This Message was Edited on 08/19/2005]
  4. Francey54

Francey54 New Member

Dear Nannajo:

WELCOME TO OUR FRIENDLY AND CARING GROUP. YOU HAVE PICKED THE BEST PLACE TO BE..

Yes, I suffer from eye trouble since being dx with Fibro. They are always very dry, ichy and at times painful.

My Oftamologist doesn't find anything seriously wrong, but I put eye drops two or three times a day. I use a moisturizing tears kind like "GenTeal Severe".

Hope this helps you a little.

Hugs,
    Francey
  5. brit_17759

brit_17759 New Member

Welcome to our site. Yes I have problems with my eyes, especially during a flare up, they burn, water, itch and are blurry.
    hugs brit
  6. JLH

JLH New Member

Glad to see you have joined our board/support group.

We have had a lot of new members lately. Yipee!!!!!
    It's always nice to meet new friends.

What type of eye problems are you having? When you say that they are so bad, I just wonder in what way are they bad.

Have you see an eye doctor about them? If so, what did he have to say?

(((Hugs)))
    Janet
  7. JLH

JLH New Member

hope you come back on this thread and read this!

If your eyes are really dry, itchy, and painful a lot of times, you may have Sjogren's Syndrome. It is one of the "side diseases" of Lupus according to my rhuemy.

He told me that because I have lupus and was also diagnosed with Sjogren's.

A lot of people have Sjogren's and do NOT have lupus, too.

Sjogren's is common with autoimmune diseases. It causes you to have dry eyes, dry mouth, and also causes your parodid glands to swell. I don't know what else it causes, I have read up on it on the internet, but only retain the problems that relate to me!!! LOL

The dry eyes and mouth do not bother me as much as the swelling of the parodid glands. These glands are located at your jaw line kind of under your ears. When mine swell, they cause my teeth to hurt and my ears to ache. Yucko!!!

Janet
  8. Francey54

Francey54 New Member

Dear Janet:

Thanks for telling me about Sjogren's syndrome, I've never heard of it. How do I find out if that is what I have?? The truth is my eyes drive me crazy sometimes and I do get what you say about the pain in the jaw under the ears and the ear pain too!!!

WOW, this is interesting. Thanks for the lead.

Love and hugs,
    Francey
  9. nannajo07

nannajo07 New Member

Wow.Its so great to hear from so many.....my eyes are dry and itchy,I have drops for that which helps,but, my problem
    is more my vision. I have had a good eye exam and was told
    they didn't see any problems..thank you lord.but, I did get a new script, which I haven't had filled because my eyes will change from day to day. It goes from my left to
    the right eye.My vision is blurred and focusing is very hard.
    I wear glasses and some days I can't even stand to have them on.It is impossible to write or read sometimes,I have
    to move my head to the left or right depending which eye is
    worse......It's hard to explain, my eyes bother me constantly and at times I feel like my vision is mirrored.
    I probably will get the script filled and take it from there.Sometimes I think it is my meds.I take effexor...
    thanks for your imput.Look forward to chatting again soon

Wishing the best to all,
    Nannajo
  10. DJM43

DJM43 New Member

I had really bad eyes and I also have dry eye syndrome. I had bad vision since a really small child so I don't think my bad vision is anything to do with FM. The dry eye syndrome probably is. I did want to share something with you on eye drops. I at one time use drops for allergies(this was before I knew I had dry eyes which can make your eyes red, itchy, watery, like allergies) and the drops themselve cause me to have major eye problems. I was having double vision, eyes crossing, visual problems, and even my pupils were dilating. None of the doctors could figure it out. I did on my own after reading the back of the bottle.

Just thought I share this with you. YOu might want to check out your drops.
  11. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I once used those OTC "allergy eye" drops made by Visine, and I thought I'd almost die!!! Never had this problem with regular Visine, just the allergy eye formula.

I was recently tested for Sjogren's---it all came back negative, but I still have extremely dry, gritty, stinging eyes and a very dry mouth. My primary care doc refered me to an opthamologist for treatment---the OTC "liquid tears" certainly have not helped, so I may have to go to the prescription version. My appt. is next week....

I definitely think it has affected my vision, too, making it blurrier. I've always suffered from near-sightedness, but now when I go in for a glasses prescription change, I feel like any adjustments in my prescription don't really help, I still find myself squinting...I've read that terribly dry eyes can make your vision blurrier.

How much of this is related to FM??? Don't really know...my dry eye has definitely gotten worse in the last 6 months, but then I'm near menopause and everything's a lot drier...

Hugs,
    Pam
  12. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

And I know why!!! Three yrs ago I was put on the antidepressant Nardil. It is a dangerous drug and my Dr. did not approve. Another Dr put me on it and i began to be lightheaded, it got worse and i got to the place that I couldn't walk or talk. If you ate the wrong foods, (many) your BP went up and you could have a stroke and die.

After an MRI of brain, I was told to withdraw immediately.
    It was a horrid time. After 3 wks and the withdrawal was kind of over. My eyes suddenly went bad in focusing. My eye Dr. had no idea, i want sent to a Neuroptimologist in large hospital and he had NO idea. I went to Mayo Clinic and again, no idea!!! i came and began to have pain, tingling, etc, you know them all, and after months was ds'd with FMS.

I still don't know what the problem is. Too much reading or typing and looking at my mail almost makes sight go away.

I will have cataract surgery next month but he said he could help blurriness and not everything.

My eyes are dry, sometimes water and I go about blind in the sun and flourescent lights.

No awswers either.

Gentle Hugs
  13. TheAurynn

TheAurynn New Member

Welcome to the boards, I'm new too- I just joined on Friday. I can so relate. I have problems with blurry eyes frequently. I am 26 and have worn glasses since I was 15, but my vision has declined so fast since I got fibro 5 years ago. I'm afraid that since they seem to be getting so much worse in the next ten years I may not be able to see much at all! I'm not sure what the connection with fibro this has, but there must definitely be one.

Hugs,

Jessica
  14. Meekah

Meekah New Member

Welcome to the board! You've come to the right place!

My eyes are very dry. I've worn glasses since I was 12 and now I'm 36. I've tried all the contact lenses out there and I can't wear any because my eyes are too dry.As soon as I put a contact in my eye, it feels like it is a sponge that has drained all the wetness from my eye. It also feels like that when there is air-conditionning and fluressant (sp?) lights.

In the last few years, I find that I miss-read a lot. When I read a word like "spelling" it could look like "spoiling" for example. I used to love to read, but now, this seems to take a lot of the fun out of it.

Interesting topic. Thanks for bringing it up.

Hugs and Prayers
    Meekah
  15. JLH

JLH New Member

My rheumatologist is the one who diagnosed me with Sjorgren's Syndrome. If you don't go to a rheumy, ask your primary care doc about it.

Also, you may want to read up on it on the web to see if everything about it fits you.

Let me know what the doc says about it!

Take care,
    Janet