MY FEARS HAVE BECOME REALITY...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by Godismystrength, Nov 14, 2012.

1. How is it possible for minor surgery to remove skin cancer to send me cascading down even further into the ME/CFS abyss??! This is ridiculous... but it was one of the things I feared about having the surgery. I am feeling so extremely bad now, I just don't know if my body can come back from this... it would take a miracle... need prayer...

I don't know if it's due to the local anesthetic which had epinephrine in it... (I told them that I wasn't suppose to have any epinephrine because of my condition with the ME/CFS, but the doc explained that the anesthetic had a little in it which was necessary to prevent excessive bleeding. They only used a small mount of anesthetic for the initial tissue removal, but then used a ton more for the repair part of the surgery)... or is it the fact that I had to use some pain meds right after when my body is so hypersensitive to any synthetic drugs... or is it just that my body doesn't have the reserves of energy needed for healing... or all of the above??? But I continue to feel worse and worse... and seriously wonder if I am going to be here much longer... I feel like I'm barely here... like I'm hanging by a thread... not sure what to do...

I don't dare go to the ER... and I can't get in to see a doctor to order labs for a month... Can anyone give me some insight into why this is happening and any ideas of what I should do...

And with the holidays upon us and the fact that I still have an 11 year old at home who looks forward to all our traditions, I could cry my eyes out (but don't have the energy to)... the timing for such a horrible relapse couldn't be worse... if not for my smart phone that only requires me to move my thumbs to type, I wouldn't even have the energy to type this :-(

Please pray for a miracle and let me know your thoughts or ideas... thank you!

Blessings,
    Shel

[This Message was Edited on 11/14/2012]
    [This Message was Edited on 11/14/2012]
  2. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

I am sorry you are having such a hard time.

I understand how weird our bodies can feel after having surgery and how long it takes for us to heal.

Talk to your child; maybe he or she would be willing to give up some of the old traditions and try something new or learn how to make those special things.

Sending you prayers and hugs.
    Bead
  3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I'm very sorry too you're having such a rough time. I know it can feel like it will never get better, but it will, one day at a time. The others gave you some very good suggestions re your child and the holidays.

I've found when I feel my worst the only thing I can really do is just accept it, stop fighting it, knowing it will pass. It takes precious energy to worry about or fight something we can't control.

You will recover and when you do, I would suggest you look into an integrative medicine doctor, if you haven't already done so. In my experience they are much more knowledgable about ME/CFS and diet and nutrition and supplements and meds than regular docs, they are the only ones who have helped me at all. If you go to acam.org, you'll find a link which can show you integrative medicine doctors in your area.

Take care -

Mary
  4. I so appreciate your encouragement and caring... and prayers. The thing that scares me the most is the chest pain and pressure combined with difficulty breathing... My husband wants to take me to the ER but he understands why I don't want to go. I know that what they would want to put me through would almost certainly make me worse. And I'm so incredibly weak already... but the chest pains frequently take my breath away ... and combined with the pressure in my chest, it does concern me. Does anyone else ever have this? If only our condition was common knowledge among doctors... but what they DON'T know can cause us more harm than good...

But I will continue to pray for a miracle... and for a good integrative medicine doc to come to our town. There is only one here who I tried a few years ago... but I wouldn't put her in the "good" category, unfortunately. And her receptionist/office manager was a nightmare to deal with... so I stopped going to her a couple years ago... Mary, I did check that awesome website you mentioned, and it still only lists that one doc in my area. Its crazy to me that the only integrative docs are at least 3 hours away... Sometimes I think we need to move somewhere where there are more integrative docs to choose from... My health depends on it, yet its easier said than done... Been praying about that too...

But thank you all again, so much... you are all such blessings :)

Blessings and Gentle Hugs,
    Shel

[This Message was Edited on 11/15/2012]
  5. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I agree with Leah - it would be good to get this checked out and a simple EKG in a doctor's office is not bad at all. I didn't know you were having such severe symptoms.

I feel for you - I know a lot of testing can be very rough, but if it there's a problem with your heart, you need to know that.

Take care -

Mary
  6. Thank you both for your suggestions and concern...

No, I haven't had an Ekg done in a long time. Unfortunately, I am presently without a doctor so I'm unable to have that done in a doc's office. I'm waiting to get in to see a new doc... although, she is NOT an integrative doc, so I'm a little concerned whether it will be a waste of my time and energy.

A few years back, I had a wonderful doc who, while still a traditional doc, she was open to alternative and natural methods. But unfortunately, she closed her practice only about a year after I found her and went to work for our local Health Department. I'm hoping this new doc will also be open to alternative methods and learning about CFS/ME... but time will tell. I thought my appt was the middle of next month, but just found out it is the end of this month. Just hope I get strong enough to get there... I've been ridiculously weak and its only been getting worse, I'm afraid :-(

Also, my sleep has just recently tanked on me... having trouble falling and staying asleep. My sleep supps have worked for such a long time... and now for no apparent reason, they've stopped working... adding to my already very fragile and difficult state... so the saga continues...

The chest pains, etc have eased up a bit, so hopefully I won't have to deal with that... I will mention it to the new doc when I go (IF I can make it, that is... will need lots of prayer and some improvement to make that happen)...

I just hope I can hang on... some days lately I'm just not sure how much more my body can take... I've been a fighter for so long now... as we all have...

But thanks again, Leah and Mary... God bless you both... I hope you are both having better days lately...

Shel
  7. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

A few more things you might consider, which have helped me - please excuse me if I've already posted all this to you, I just can't remember what I've said to whom (e.g., the acam.org website).

The weakness you describe and trouble sleeping could be due to weak adrenals, and high or low cortisol. Many years ago I was weak as a kitten and doctors as usual were helpless. My chiro who does muscle testing immediately found that my adrenals were very weak and gave me Drenatrophin PMG by Standard Process. My energy started to pick up within a couple of days. I had to learn how to deal with stress and do things to strengthen my adrenals (pantothenic acid is also very important) but without my chiropractor would never have known even where to begin.

You've been severely stressed for awhile, from what I can tell - anticipating your surgery and so on. This can raise cortisol levels at night which will definitely cause insomnia. If this is the case, there are things which can help. Seriphos (phosphorylated serine - non-prescription) is very effective in normalizing cortisol levels. A good test to have cortisol levels checked is the adrenal stress index test, any doctor can order - the problem of course is finding a doctor to order it. You can get it done through Clymer Healing Center on-line (I had my first test done through them). They do everything via phone, e-mail and regular mail. When I first had my levels tested, there were quite high at night and they gave me Seriphos. It worked great.

An OTC product which can also help is Corti-slim. One of its ingredients is magnolia bark, which helps lower cortisol. but it also has caffeine. A better product might be relora - available on-line and health food stores - it has magnolia bark too and just one other ingredient. One of my sisters liked cortislim - it calmed her, but she didn't try the relora.

I have had so much help from my chiropractor who does muscle testing, I think it's really worth looking into. And it's relatively cheap compared to doctors. You can find a chiro who does muscle testing by going to the Standard Process website and customer service will give you the names of practitioners in your area who use their products. Or you can just look in the yellow pages and call and ask.

Last but not least, meditation is invaluable for dealing with stress. I can't recommend it highly enough. There are lots of books out there. One I like a lot is The Relaxation Response by Herbert Benson, a simple easy and very interesting read.

Take care -

Mary
  8. MicheleK

MicheleK Member

Hi Shel, So sorry to read that you have not been doing well at all. I am in the same boat right now so I understand when you say you wonder how much more your body can handle.

We are strong women. We will come out of this and have better days. Until then I am sending you some love and well wishes.

Hugs, Michele
  9. RENA0808

RENA0808 Member

Hi Michele
    I have had crushing chest pains a few times and it feels like a heart attack!
    I was diagnosed with Costochondritis.As soon as I readit up online I knew that was it!
    It is relateded to fibro and is horrendous.I can Not breathe with the pain and Cannot move my body one inch when it occurs.
    Sending you hugs
    Rena
  10. Mary, thank you so much for all the great info... I will be looking into all the things you mentioned. Right now I have had another sleepless night... didn't sleep a wink, even though I've been taking measures to help reset my circadian rhythm... obviously to no avail. I even had a soak last night in epsom salts with lavender (something I hadn't been able to do since the night before my surgery 2 weeks ago) and played some very soft soothing music... kept the tv off and was completely peaceful and serene... no racing heart for a change... but STILL couldn't fall asleep. I've tried a few different sleep supps (not my normal ones) and still I'm not having any success! I even have been trying to get to bed earlier and earlier... and when I still wasn't asleep by 2 a.m. I went out to my living room and read my Bible and prayed while drinking more sleepytime tea... And now it is 7 in the morning and I've STILL not slept a wink. I guess I'm going to try to just stay up and see if I can make it till tonight and see if that helps... I don't know. This has been going on for almost a week now... but the other nights I was at least able to fall asleep by 5 or 6 in the morning and sleep for maybe 5 hours... This is really starting to wear me down... I am desperate for a solution!

Michelle, I'm sorry you are doing so poorly too... I 've been praying for you and will continue to do so. May God give us the strength we need to endure this... and hopefully overcome this very soon...

Rena, I'd never heard of that condition. Is there any treatment for it to keep it in check? Hope you're doing better these days.

Thanks again to all of you... God bless you!

Shel
    [This Message was Edited on 11/20/2012]
  11. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

It can mimic a heart attack in fact many people get to the ER and it's this.

I get these horrible crushing chest pains which shoot up the side of my neck. At times I absolutely can't move or breathe. Here's a trick I've found to stop it in it's tracks......a small cup of hot water drunk as soon as I feel it coming on. I believe it's the heat hitting the muscles inside that sorta calms things down. I've been woke up in the night with one of these coming on so I rush to the kitchen and heat up some water in the microwave. Then I heat up a rice sock and lay it on my chest and neck.

Don't forget....FM is a disease/condition of the muscles and we have muscles everywhere.
  12. snogirl

snogirl New Member

I had a MAJOR SINUS SURGERY about 4 yrs ago...........! When I woke up the first thing I said was my CHEST HURTS! They told me it was because I just went thru.......a Major Sinus Surgery! And ever since it hurts like that! BUT a feeling of weakness and like my Heart is stopping! And I get short of Air. My Chest gets to where if I put weight down on my hand liek to scoot or something it feels like my Chest is Breaking! *VERY painful and Scary! I read that Fibro can cause Chest Pains BUT this Bad? By the way I hope you feel MUCH better Shel!!!!!!!!!!
    God Bless You! I'm Hoping I can help people with Info, by my Expierences......and that people can Help me better Understand WHY I am going thru............all of this PAIN!
  13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Shel, I am so sorry for what you are going through. Who knows what causes us to go into a serious flare. I do know that most anything can interrupt our sleep cycle. That, in itself, can cause all kinds of problems. If we can't sleep, we go downhill. After my head injury, I was waking at 1:30, 2:30, 3:30, etc. Then, I got a cold at Thanksgiving and took some Nyquil at night. Voila! It reset my sleep cycle and I'm now sleeping well without it. I do take Klonopin, and have for years, but it was like it quit working after the fall and head injury. I don't believe we should take Nyquil if we don't need it but they now make Zquil which is just for sleep and isn't supposed to cause dependency. It might work.

I've had costo and the only thing which helped it go away was a shot of cortisone in the inflammed spot between my ribs next to my sternum. If you have costco, you can find the spot by running your finger down the sternum and putting mild pressure between the ribs. When you hit the spot, the pain is so profound that you know you've found the spot. Costo usually is only on one side and can cause referred pain to shoot out the back in the shoulder blade and down the arm. A good sports medicine doc can do the shot if you need it.

Finally, the advice to meditate and rest are good. I've been bedridden in my walk with CFIDS/ME and FMS. I've had to accept it and pray for recovery. In addition, I was researching online and finding things, and docs, to help. Good luck to you.

Love, Mikie
  14. SherylS

SherylS Member

Is coconut oil. I get costochondroitis quite often and it is very painful and can last for weeks. Until I discovered coconut oil---it's a natural anti-inflammatory (I can't take ibuprofen or NSAIDs). I put a teaspoon in hot water or tea, 3times a day. Reduces the pain amazingly!!
  15. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

No such thing..I had "simple" surgery for a knee injury from working. I could not move the next day...extreme pain from head to toe. My immune system took a hit from the anesthesia, I had a sore throat, which led to bronchitis, 2 bouts of the flu, and never totally healed to being able to work as I use to do. I received my SS after that. As far as epi, I need to be careful at the dentist, they nearly killed me from injecting me with more than 3 shots of it.

I guess I do sound traumatized, I am. I did not believe how sensitive I am until all of this happened to me. God bless.