My fibro doctor is quitting her practice, need some advise!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hagardreams, Aug 18, 2010.

1. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

I feel like I am loosing my best friend! My doctor said that she just can make it anymore. She already has health issues herself, and there is so much to this story, but she is closing down her practice.

I had a really hard time finding her when I found her over 5 years ago. She is about one of the only doctors that I could find in this state that truly believed that fibro pain and fatigue was real.

She talked me into taking pain meds, and now I have a better life. I cant see going back to laying in bed all day, and hurting all the time. She was right, I was the one being stubborn, and letting it take over my life. She gave me a reason to keep going.

I really dont even know where to start looking for another doctor. I was thinking about writting down my health history in brief, and sending a letter to the few doctors that I have found over the internet, to see if I got a response from any of them. I dont know what else to do!

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. I do realize that I am not alone, and there are others in my shoes. I guess my biggest fear is having to come off of the pills I am on now, and going back to the bed 100% of the time. I just cant see life like that anymore.

I am in Oklahoma, if anyone happens to know a good doctor around here, please let me know. Anyone with advise, please let me know, because right now I am very upset and confused, and I really need someone to help me figure this one out.

I know part of this is from my panic attacks. I let go last time before I found her, and gave it all to God. He guided me to her, and I know he can do it again. But I really do need anyones input on this. If nothing else, suggestions, on where to start looking for a doctor, and how to word a letter.

Thanks, Julie
  2. Tizz

Tizz New Member

...maybe you could consider doctors in Dallas/FtWorth?

There is a post at the top of the list, here, that names a whole bunch of good docs for fibro. Have you looked them over yet?

There is also a recommendation there that people check for good fibro/CFS doctors at

In OK, it recommends a Tulsa Dr:

Tulsa, OK
    Dr. Brian Flournoy, DC
    3345 South Harvard - Suite 101
    Tulsa, OK 74135
    Tel: 918.728.8800
    Fax: 918.728.8801
    E-Mail: Brian DOT Flournoy AT tulsacoxmail DOT com

There are also several doctors they recommend in the Dallas/Ft.Worth area.

I can relate to your situation because I lost my neurologist that I had a rappoir with... he went to work at the veteran's hospital so he couldn't see his regular patients anymore. The neuro I went to afterwards was a disaster! My family Dr. says she will never refer another patient to the woman, that's how bad she was. So I "get it" about finding a good doc being a needle in a haystack!

[This Message was Edited on 08/18/2010]
  3. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Is your doctor actually closing down her practice, or is she going to try and sell it to another doctor?
  4. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

I heard that she is going to have to pay for the lease on her office for awhile. Something about she is going to work part time doing some kind of clinic in the town she is in right now, and the city is paying her to do so. I think its the city. I havent heard the whole story just yet.
    I do wonder what is going to happen to all of her patients. She treats not only fibro, but she also treats AIDS patients where many in Lawton Oklahoma wont do that. I feel bad for them. Its a military town with a lot of soldiers.

Like I said, I see her on the 9th of sept, and I hope that she can help guide me to find another doctor. I have been having a lot of anxiety tonight from this mess. I really wish that something will give soon, because I really dont want to end up in the hospital from the stress. Nor do I want to end up in the hospital to get off of the lortabs that I take now, and that is one of my biggest fears. I know I cant just quit taking them, so if I can find another doctor to give them to me, then I will have no choice. I sure dont want to go back to bed again like before.

I didnt want to take the lortabs the doctor was the one who talked me into taking them, and she was right, they work wonderfully!

5. Tizz

Tizz New Member

In my case, it was Klonipin that I was worried about. Klonipin is the drug that helps me with my leg spasms/cramps - and without it, I knew I would be in a world of hurt.

Funny how almost all the doctors you see on TV are compassionate (well... except for House) and they're absolutely dedicated to doing whatever must be done to help their patients!

A lot of people actually believe that's what real life doctors are like, too...

I sure wish that was the truth.

[This Message was Edited on 08/18/2010]
  6. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

I wish there were more compassionate doctors also. Its sad how people think that since there are so many commercials on TV now days about fibro that more doctors believe in it. I know there are some out there, but I would bet that their case loads are full. While fibro seems to be found in more and more people, there are many more just like us.

If anyone has any suggestions on how best to write a letter to send to a doctor, please let me know. I am afraid that my letters will never even be seen by a doctor, but I have to try.

I have found several lists of about 4 doctors here in the state of Oklahoma, and I fully intend to send them all a letter.

I dont want to give too much info, but I really want to get the point across that I do have this illness, I dont have insurance, but I do need a doctor that understands this illness.

Thanks, Julie
  7. kaykat10

kaykat10 New Member

I am under a new user name. I used to post under the old fibro board!!! I live in Edmond and I go to a rheumatologist, Dr Craig Carson, I see his PA Cindy!!they are a very caring group and very professional;. i do ont think you will be disappointed. they refer when necessary!! i went there for diagnosis in 2005. I was daignosed with fibro in 2005 and then got another couple of diagnoses- RA and Ankylosing spondylitis. it seems like Fibro is the forerunner of all kinds of diseases. i still fight Depression.fatigue, and just this month got diagnosed with bipolar-mostly depression and my mania is usually writing or shoppiong. I just couldn't shake the depression and knew something else was going on, such as Alzheimers, as I am about 63!!!

Good luck to you. there is also a family medicene clinic just west of Mercy Hospital on Memorial Road, it is Northwest Mercy. I am seeing a nurse practioner there by the name of Divia, she covers for all the docs. Also, Dr. Mark knox is an osteopath and they treat the whole person. i like osteopaths, as they consider the body and brain. he is a good doc!!!

Hope this gives you a couple of resoiurces. i don't think OKC is to far to find a good doc. My rheumatologist took 3 months to get into. he has 2 other docs now and other PAs, so maybe you can get in earlier. If you need a referral, you cxould see doc Knox first!!Let me know if you have any problems and I hope this is one of the options you will keep in mind!!!

My internist I have seen for 5 years went to a fancy practice where you pay an extra 125$ a month along with your insurance rates and co-pays, it was his way of getting rid of medicare patients!!! I am so disappointed in him!!! I do not think he will be to happy, as the patients that stayed with him are wealthy and they will run him ragged!!!!!!

Take care now and i hope you are doin ok. Let me hear from you. I care!!!
    [This Message was Edited on 08/21/2010]
  8. Tizz

Tizz New Member

Edmond!! We have a cousin who lives there... I'm going to make that suggestion to her! Thanks!

9. keke466

keke466 New Member

for posting this. I have been trying to find someone that lives in OK on these boards that could recommend dr's in OK. I live in SW Ok in a small town and can only go as far as OKC to see dr's so I am going to ask my dr here if she will get me an appt with them when I need to go. My problem is that I'm on O-Epic ins,OK state ins,and not very many dr's take this,no the good ones anyway. It's a shame that just because we can't afford our own ins that we can't get as good as tx as others do.
  10. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

Thanks for that advise. I will check it out and see how expensive they are.

I know about bipolar. My mom and hubby are both bipolar. My hubbys is more the depression side, but has some spells where he just talks and talks! It can be a complex illness, but treatable! I think for the first time in my husbands life he actually feels human. He got a great state psychiatrist, and this guy has done wonders for him.

My biggest concern with finding a doctor is finding one that is going to, first off not be too expensive. I have no health ins. My hubby is on SSDI, and even though I was found to be disabled, I get nothing because I have not worked enough in my life time to recieve anything. My hubbys SSDI is, get this $50 a month too much for me to get medicaid. How about that! So 2 disabled people living on one disability check is very hard to do.
    Also I hope to find someone who is willing to see me without trying to run up a lot of bills that I just cannot pay.

Thanks again for the advise. I will contact them and see how this works out!

11. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

Well I finally saw the doctor yesterday. She really seemed out of it, and just said that I was on my own finding a doctor. Its like she just didnt care. I wonder if there is something wrong with her, and she just isnt saying so.

Back to square one, and I just dont know where to begin. With no health insurance, I am very limited on who I can see. All I know right now is that I am very scared, and wondering if there is any point to this life.

I will take any suggestions, anyone has!

Thanks, Julie
  12. Tizz

Tizz New Member

I do know what it's like to lose a doctor you trusted, and have them NOT refer you to anyone else. You feel like you're on a rowboat and you've lost your paddles.

I'll bet your Dr. is ill and doesn't want to talk about it...

It really sounded to me like Kay had made some good suggestions but of course, there's no telling what kind of insurance they'd take unless you check on it.

13. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

I wonder if my doctor does have something wrong with her. She just isnt herself. She has been a type 1 diabetic for over 47 years, 10 years longer than I have. I know that she had a heart attack several years ago, and I was amazed that she made it back to her patients.

I am still in limbo about finding a doctor. I just dont know where to start. Without any health insurance, I have to pay out of pocket, and my hubbies SSDI is not that much, especially for 2 people.

I have had several people suggest that I just divorce him. That should not be that way. Yes I was found to be disabled, and I would get my SSI if I did divorce him, and medicaid. But from what I hear, most medicaid doctors are controlled by the government, and the goverment is breathing down their necks about giving out pain meds. We all have a chronic illness, its not going to go away, so freaking what if I am on pain meds. The pain meds are all that gets me out of bed everyday, and keeps me alive.

I just hope this works out, if not I am in trouble in about 6 months from now.