My fight with SSI and my Resources for Expedition on Case

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ritafaye, Dec 8, 2002.

1. ritafaye

ritafaye New Member

On June the 10th of 2000, I was rudely awaken at the ER where I was working, when I suddenly collasped with exhaustion. The next day I experienced severe pain in my left hip, and left leg.

Needless to say I was just approached that very weekend with a patient that had Fibromyalgia. I knew what it meant simply by it's terimonolgy, but I had never put the pieces together when it came to my own symptoms.

Basically, I diagnosed myself after reading up on this condition, and made myself an appt. with my family docotor to confirm this. I was not supprised to his hesitation at first, but after we had an exam of my body ,and went back over my records, he comfirmed what I knew to be true.

When he suggested an appt. with a Rhuemetologist, I did not hesitate to go, even though it meant driving for over 2 hours to get there.

I spent the better part of three hours at the Asheville Arthritis Center in Asheville North Carolina with Doctor Kristin Gowin, a patient and calm female physician that had her walls posted with the symptoms of Fibromyalgia. Her re-education in the condition was amazing.

I went through the blood test as usual in this case checking for arthiritis, and lupus, and of course all where negative.

I immediately had applied for SSI as soon as I had been diagnosed from my family physician, and told my rhumetologist this, and she said I did the right thing even though she would never fill out any forms stating that I was completely disabled.

Well, some 2 years later in desperation I placed a phone call to her office, and told her that I could no longer wait, and I must have it in writing because I knew that I was only getting worse, and not better.

Keep in mind I saw her every 6 months for the first year or so, and then every 4 months therafter, before she would put it in writing.

She said that it would be great if I could work , but to find a job that only required me to work when I felt like it would be too ideal, and impossible to find.

During this process of being denied I began to communicate with the Congressmen office for my district.

This Congressmen was over the local Social Security in my district.

Just last week I begant ot communicate with the Senators office in my district as well.

It only took signing release forms to give them access to my records that I found results in the barrier in communication with Social Security.

The Senator's office contacted me on Monday last week, and told me I had been denied again, and that the letter had not been composed yet stating so.

Well two days later I received the letter, but in return that very day I received a phone call from my attorney telling me that it was in the judges hands at that very moment, and he was surprised that it had already gotten to them so quickly. Now keep in mind I was prepared to fire him , and told him so because I had down all the foot work on this, and the phone calls stressing my urgency in the matter.

I explained to him that I could not afford to even give him 25% of $ 5.00 at this point, and that it was a shame to have to go through all this.

Today I am awaiting to hear if they will just sign off on it, and approve my claim, or if I will go in front of the judge, but I have been assured that it will be no longer thatn 2 months for the process to complete one way or the other.

My suggestions to you, find that Congressmen in your area bu looking on the internet, start the communications, contact your Senator, get involved, and do not let your attorney convince you that that cannot help, because they can.

You must take control of the issue yourself because too many applications lay awaiting at Social Security, and if you don't lite that fire under them you will be just anumber in the bunch. Get involved, insist on results, and try to remain calm, even though I haven't.

Rita Rogers
    [This Message was Edited on 12/18/2002]
  2. ritafaye

ritafaye New Member

On June the 10th of 2000, I was rudely awaken at the ER where I was working, when I suddenly collasped with exhaustion. The next day I experienced severe pain in my left hip, and left leg.

Needless to say I was just approached that very weekend with a patient that had Fibromyalgia. I knew what it meant simply by it's terimonolgy, but I had never put the pieces together when it came to my own symptoms.

Basically, I diagnosed myself after reading up on this condition, and made myself an appt. with my family docotor to confirm this. I was not supprised to his hesitation at first, but after we had an exam of my body ,and went back over my records, he comfirmed what I knew to be true.

When he suggested an appt. with a Rhuemetologist, I did not hesitate to go, even though it meant driving for over 2 hours to get there.

I spent the better part of three hours at the Asheville Arthritis Center in Asheville North Carolina with Doctor Kristin Gowin, a patient and calm female physician that had her walls posted with the symptoms of Fibromyalgia. Her re-education in the condition was amazing.

I went through the blood test as usual in this case checking for arthiritis, and lupus, and of course all where negative.

I immediately had applied for SSI as soon as I had been diagnosed from my family physician, and told my rhumetologist this, and she said I did the right thing even though she would never fill out any forms stating that I was completely disabled.

Well, some 2 years later in desperation I placed a phone call to her office, and told her that I could no longer wait, and I must have it in writing because I knew that I was only getting worse, and not better.

Keep in mind I saw her every 6 months for the first year or so, and then every 4 months therafter, before she would put it in writing.

She said that it would be great if I could work , but to find a job that only required me to work when I felt like it would be too ideal, and impossible to find.

During this process of being denied I began to communicate with the Congressmen office for my district.

This Congressmen was over the local Social Security in my district.

Just last week I begant ot communicate with the Senators office in my district as well.

It only took signing release forms to give them access to my records that I found results in the barrier in communication with Social Security.

The Senator's office contacted me on Monday last week, and told me I had been denied again, and that the letter had not been composed yet stating so.

Well two days later I received the letter, but in return that very day I received a phone call from my attorney telling me that it was in the judges hands at that very moment, and he was surprised that it had already gotten to them so quickly. Now keep in mind I was prepared to fire him , and told him so because I had down all the foot work on this, and the phone calls stressing my urgency in the matter.

I explained to him that I could not afford to even give him 25% of $ 5.00 at this point, and that it was a shame to have to go through all this.

Today I am awaiting to hear if they will just sign off on it, and approve my claim, or if I will go in front of the judge, but I have been assured that it will be no longer thatn 2 months for the process to complete one way or the other.

My suggestions to you, find that Congressmen in your area bu looking on the internet, start the communications, contact your Senator, get involved, and do not let your attorney convince you that that cannot help, because they can.

You must take control of the issue yourself because too many applications lay awaiting at Social Security, and if you don't lite that fire under them you will be just anumber in the bunch. Get involved, insist on results, and try to remain calm, even though I haven't.

Rita Rogers
  3. Joannie

Joannie New Member

I truly understand your struggle. I too have gone through a rough time with Disability. In fact I am having to begin the process all over again. It is really mentally draining and physically draining especially having an Attorney not wanting to do anything to help the case. I wish you much luck with getting approved.
    I do have one question though it may seem odd. How do you get the information on what congessman in your area that deals with Disability? I have so wanted to get someone involved instead of just little old me but don't know who to. Thank you for your advice. And again I truly hope your fight is over soon and your are approved.
    God Bless,
    Joannie
  4. kay

kay New Member

I have been out doing afew errands this morning, got home and called my senator, Van Hillery of Tn. Got on the board and here you are!!!I left a message, for a call back. Hopefully he wont call today when I am at my doctors appointment. I was wondering if you could fill me in on what all you told yours? Hope I dont mess things up by doing this!!! Thanks Linda
  5. kay

kay New Member

I just wanted to up date you since I ast wrote. Senator Van Hillerys secretary called me back, but boo hoo he is no longer in office as of this week. Said they are closing up office! She did give me a number to Duncan so I will call tomorrow. Have got to get to my doctors appointment. Please feel me in on info that I need to discuss! You can e-mail me at home if you want to. addy under my bio. Thanks Linda
  6. teach6

teach6 New Member

At this time of year Congress (House and Senate) goes on break untul after the first of the year. They are usually at home in their districts with their families, and probably doing a little politicking too.

You may want to try a local office and see if you can reach him there. Otherwise, write a letter, it will probably have a better chance of being seen by him. Our legislators have hectic schedules and I think it would be highly unlikely for him to call you personally anyway.

Barbara
  7. ritafaye

ritafaye New Member

I received a call from my attorney yesterday, he received notification that I am awarded my SSI, and Full medicare benefits starting this month.........

In reply to all of you that have needed some answers, it is very simple to contact you coongressmen and your senator. Simple look on the internet for state official, type in your search engine for your state ie; georgia congressmen in my case, and then read the list to see what your congressmen is representing. When you find the one who serves as Social Security seat, it will give you the office # and the email address for his affiliates in his office, rather his aids that assist him, Just give them a call, and then ask them to look into your case. All they need is a signed form which they will send you, and they look under your ss# in their computers. They can make inquries with social security once they have your signed permission. This applies to the senators in your region or district, it is very simple.
    I have been waiting for almost 2 1/2 years, and with persistence I have prevaled.
    Good luck to all, and Merry Christmas..........
    God bless you all.
    Rita
  8. ritafaye

ritafaye New Member

PLEASE READ MY LAST NOTATIONS................
  9. missvickielynn

missvickielynn New Member

Rita,

I totally sympathize with your struggle, and applaud your determination and courage. Congratulations on finally getting approved!

I, too, was told by an attorney (I use that title begrudgingly) that getting elected officials "involved" in my case would just "make the SSA mad at me" and not help my case, but would hurt it.

I have just completed the first round in the SSDI process, and feel sure I will receive my first decision right after the first of the year.

Unless I am blessed with a sudden and unlikely stroke of luck, I will need more help.

I did a web search on Congressmen and Senators for Texas, but cannot find a list that tells who oversees (or whatever the term is) my local Social Security Office. I don't even know what district I am in, although I can call the Election Administrator to find that out. Unfortunately, I have not been a registered voter for the last several years......wonder if that will be held against me, should I contact a representative? I have become completely politically jaded.

Can you help me figure out how to find the appropriate people for my area? I am in Midland, Texas.

Also, I applied for SSDI and SSI at the same time, but have not heard anything about the SSI claim. Do you (or anyone else) have any input on this?

Thanks for this information, and for sharing your story.

Vickie

10. joannie1

joannie1 New Member

Rita i am so happy to hear you have been awarded your SSD. I am so happy for you and what better time of the year to receive such wonderful news. I too have been fighting this for 2 and a half years. Had to start all over and have my phone interview on Monday. I refuse to give up though, can't when i can't work right. I am going to try your advice.
    Merry Christmas.
    Joannie