my finished tile project

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sunflowergirl, Jun 2, 2008.

1. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

check out my profile.

It's 20 x 28 and I originally was putting it together for a Christmas present for my daughter. I found the perfect wrought iron table at a thrift store and that's what it was going on. But I'm not satisfied with some things with this one, so I'll keep it and look for another table to install it on.

Now I'll have to draw up a new picture, paint and have the tiles fired, etc. etc. so it's a good thing this will be a Christmas present.
  2. puffant

puffant New Member

That is absolutely beautiful! You do great work.

Puff
  3. ckball

ckball New Member

That is beautiful! Did you paint the scene on the tiles then break them. I do mosaic work too,so I am curious.

It will make a great table and I DON'T see a thing wrong with it and I am sure your daughter would love it just as it is. We are always our own worst critics. Carla
  4. ckball

ckball New Member

That is beautiful! Did you paint the scene on the tiles then break them. I do mosaic work too,so I am curious.

It will make a great table and I DON'T see a thing wrong with it and I am sure your daughter would love it just as it is. We are always our own worst critics. Carla
  5. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

That is very Lovely, and I hope you post your finished "Christmas Gift", for us to oggle over,
    you are so talented, ;o)

How you doing, btw? Tell the "Girls" Hi for me,
    I have been very sick with the MRSA and with my Sis moving in, I have so little, "Me" time now.
    Miss you all.
    Hugs,
    sharonk
  6. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

Beautiful piece of work sunflowergirl. I love it. What a great hoppy. I am sure you daughter will love whatever you make for her even if you don't think it is perfect. However, that looks pretty perfect to me.

Great job, love it.

Mickey
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

This is absolutely gorgeous. It looks so Tuscan. I love paintings of the Tuscan countryside. I just watched "Under The Tuscan Sun" again and fell in love with Italy all over again. I've never been there but am hoping to go someday.

I'm also curious as to whether you painted the tiles. In any case, you are very talented and creative.

Love, Mikie
  8. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

It's gorgeous but I think you're probably the only one seeing any mistakes or oddities in the project....

To the rest of the world it looks wonderful.

Hugs,

Nancy
  9. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

Thanks everyone. Yes it is Tuscany. I drew this up about 4 years ago, bought some reduced tiles from a tile warehouse, bought the special paints, and took it to a little shop close by to fire. It went thru 2 firings and when it came out the second time, two of the tiles had cracked, so I put it away.

I came across the perfect wrought iron table at a thrift store and thought about the tiles.

I bought thick plywood and Lowes cut it for me, and then painted the sides and bottom with 2 coats Thompson water sealer, since it was to go outside. I found copper L shaped strips and screwed them to the top of the plywood. The copper will turn green eventually from the weather. Then cut hardboard (a special board that holds tile)with my utility knife and glued it on with Gorilla glue overnight. Then the fun part of using mastic to glue on the tiles. After I had the mastic on and the tile basically in place, I took a hammer and broke them some more. Two days later I grouted the whole piece. The table top will eventually be screwed onto the right table.

The only thing that took time really was the 2 firings and driving back and forth to pick them up!

Sharon: We miss you so much and wish that you would post at least once a week. Jill said she hears from you occasionally and told us about your sister living with you. Is this the one up north? By the way, Jill's other brother is in very serious condition, bleeding from somewhere, and emergency surgery yesterday couldn't determine it. She's asked for prayers for him along with her other brother who is dying from the cancer. Poor lady...
  10. sisland

sisland New Member

Hi
    Wow! thats Gorgeous!,,I'm also a lover of Sunflowers and grow them every year!,,,,You Have a very unique Talent!,,,,Thanks for sharing it with us!,,,,,,,,Sis