My first Volunteer Job

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by pumpkinpatch, Jun 6, 2008.

1. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

I volunteered yesterday at a Business Expo and Conference Trade Show at the Westin and I had a great time. Greeted and talked to the exhibitors and visitors!
    I'm now thinking of volunteering at a gala night for nonprofit- Improving the lives of children OneXOne with Bed Afleck as the guest ambassador!! and a big lineup of entertainment.
    I love it since i don't have to make a big commitment only 1 or 2 days at a time.

2. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

Volunteering at the library is a great idea. Gives you something to look forward to. Yes, I know exactly what you mean about meeting people and chatting. Totally takes my mind off my health issues.
  3. momof471

momof471 New Member

I'm glad you had such a good time! It nice to get out when you are able and contribute what you can.

I've done volunteering at my childrens school this year and its been nice to make friends and actually be around others, it makes me feel normal for awhile!

My two oldest daughter's and I are planning to volunteer at the humane society, probably only once a month. I love animals and I think it would be something fun to look forward to! The girls would have to help me do my job since they are under the age of 16 so I would have alot of help for more physically demanding tasks.

I think volunteering gives us back some of the self-esteem this condition can take away from us, its something I am very enthusiastic about.

I'm using this to try and make myself stronger, I would love to be able to work again and maybe, in my case this will be a stepping stone.

Yay for you!

God Bless
  4. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

The possibilities are endless when it comes to volunteering. In my city it's so expensive to live here so people have to work hard to support themselves and pay bills. Because of this there is a lack of volunteers. But perfect opportunity for me. I can pick and choose. it's a total confidence booster!! My husband is so happy I'm giving this a try and never ever mentions that I need a real job outside the house. I do all the bookwork for his business here at home so it's a win/win situation for everyone. The volunteer work will get me out!!
    Thank you for all your responses.

[This Message was Edited on 06/07/2008]
  5. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Yes, I think volunteering on any level is a great thing, It helps others and it makes you feel good. There re so many ways it can be done as as been mentioned here, the Expo. trade show/local library, etc.

I sing in different groups and ( some dancing to) and we perform in local nursing homes, sr. residences, ladies clubs, churches, etc. It is alot of fun and gives you a good feeling when others get something good out of it.

Good luck Cindy and kieep it up !!

Hugs and blessings to all,