My Friend FINALLY Believes I'm Sick

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TeaBisqit, Oct 4, 2009.

1. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I have no clue how this miracle happened, but my friend who never, ever believed I was sick actually believes it now. Wonders never cease.

We were talking about another friend's upcoming wedding. And I said I don't think I can go because it's going to make me really sick. And my friend actually said to me that she didn't think I was well enough to go and that the sensory overload would kill me. And I was like, OMG, she actually gets it that there is a real problem! She said the day would be too long for me and the music at the reception would be too much. So I was just blown away that she actually, finally, after YEARS gets it and understood why I can't go.

I really can't. I went out yesterday with another friend to a few small places and the sensory overload was so bad, I just wanted to die. I couldn't wait to come home. I'm really only okay when I'm alone and things are quiet.

I have not told the one getting married that I'm not going yet. But I will eventually. I can't do it.

So anyway, hell hath frozen over cause this one did believe me after many, many years.
  2. sascha

sascha Member

it for a long time.

i love the phrase for it: "excitatory neuro-toxicity" don't you think that captures it perfectly?

i need to have interactions with people, but i have to carefully ration them, and i have to leave if it becomes too much. i have to have time alone; then i feel lonely. sometimes i do fine on my own- sometimes it's hard and i crave more social times. but when i have a certain amount of social interaction, i need to be on my own again for a time. tricky business- Sascha
  3. chrissy12

chrissy12 New Member

Teabiscut - I think you are making a wise decision on the wedding. Way too much stimulation. I am really glad your friend is getting it. It will help you have a better relationship with her.

Sascha - I couldn't have said it any better, your interaction with people and rationing of energy with them. I, too, deal with wanting more social time, but then having to retreat with just a little and then feeling lonely. You're right, tricky business.
  4. nah.stacey

nah.stacey Member

Tea, I'm so relieved for you.

It really is a Eureka moment when someone close to you really understands and they don't think its just depression (which is what I get ALOT).

It is such a relief that you don't have to try and explain yet again.

As I read everyone's comments on this board it is a relief for me too to realize I'm not a freak and that what I am experiencing is really part of this illness. The sensory overload is a big part of my illness and sometimes its all you can do to get home and throw yourself down and pull the pillow over your head and cry out the pain till you can get a grip. It does make me sad that others know this torture. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. Your life as you knew it is over and you have to readjust your whole lifestyle.

May God bless us all with the strength to cope.
  5. blueeyedgrl73

blueeyedgrl73 New Member

wonder if she is having symptoms herself? might be worth asking her. a similar thing has happened to me. glad you have an understanding friend now! :)
  6. shell3

shell3 New Member

dear teabisqit,your letter was most inlightening..i have felt like that for a long time but didnt realize everyone also did..sensory overeload.. thank you thank you thankyou shell3