my friend has MRSA a infection-with fibro are we susceptable to getting it?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrobutterfly, Sep 16, 2009.

1. My close friend has MRSA infection, she was tested before going in for knee surgery scheduled in a couple wks. From what I read it is contagious, it can be dangerous and you are isolated by yourself in the hospital. Nurses and drs wear gloves, gowns when seeing you.

She wants me too visit her alot. Now I get things really easy and am terrified of getting it, or am I being too sensitive? She didn't even ask what it was just said she only needs to take antibiotics 5 days before her surgery and says its no big deal. Does anyone have any knowledge of this infection?
  2. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

some people say it's a big deal, some say it isn't.....yrs ago, way before getting sick I worked at a nursing home and there were several residents over the yrs who had it....I just wore gloves when in their rooms and washed my hands well after and never caught anything....however, with fibro it could very well be more of a concern.....maybe you could call the nursing station at the hospital where she is and ask them some questions - they probably won't be able to talk specifically about your friend, bc of HIPAA, but they may be able to give you some general answers and to tell you if it is advisable to visit