My friend is in trouble

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by FriendInTrounle, Dec 8, 2005.

  1. FriendInTrounle

    FriendInTrounle New Member

    I have a friend who was diagnosed with CFS ten years ago. He was given ampehetamines to keep him working, but as they became less effective for him, he turned to street drugs. He became unemployable and has no insurance. The side effects of the crystal meth that he is taking are reeking havoc on his life. He is morbidly depressed. When high, he will work at jobs around the clock for three or four days, then he will crash and do nothing but eat and sleep for days on end, until he gets high again. He cannot hold a job, he cannot earn enough to buy more drugs, he says he has nowhere to turn and is contemplating suicide because he does not want to live like a vegetable. I don't know what to do for him. He needs some kind of free or low cost treatment until he can get into a work environment where he can get some insurance. Are there any ideas out there?
  2. smiffy79

    smiffy79 New Member

    i think you need to turn to an organisation thats been set up to provide proper help.
    do you have a samaritans or drop in centre?what about social services? im sure you have social servuces in the states.
    thats where i would turn to. take him there and he will get a place on a drug program to get him clean and he will get proper meds sorted for him.
    you need professional help on this.
    i wish you all the luck in the world. take care, smiffy.
  3. dononagin

    dononagin New Member

    Call your local mental health or look in the phone book for recovery centers. Alot of them provide a certain amount of beds for destitute people. They can get him signed up for state aid while he is in treatment. The meth is only going to make his autoimmune system worse. Now the challange.. even if you can find somewhere that will treat him for drug dependance you can't make him go. It is an unfortunate fact that most people who become addicts end up in jail, hospitals or worse.. But only he can make that decision. Some would rather be homeless.. hopeless.. or worse than give up their drugs.. good luck honey.. this post will probably be deleted.. I hope you get the answers you need.. hugs!
  4. FriendInTrounle

    FriendInTrounle New Member

    I appreciate all the advice and I apologize about the S word, I simply did not know. I will try to find a program for him. Thanks for the encouragement.
  5. JLH

    JLH New Member

    Yes, your poor friend is in one heck of a shape and needs to be admitted to a drug rehabilation program immediately.

    Meth is such a powerful drug, that after using it once, you are hooked. He needs to be in a drug rehab/mental health facility NOW.

    As others have said, start with taking him to an ER. Make sure you take him to one that has a psychiatric unit. You need to do that, because if he mentions the "S" word to them, they MUST admit him.

    Good luck to you, dear. He needs a friend like you now.

    Holiday Hugs,
  6. springrose22

    springrose22 New Member

    with everything everybody else just said. Marie

[ advertisement ]