My fur baby is in ICU!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by PepperGirl52, Jan 29, 2006.

1. PepperGirl52

PepperGirl52 New Member

I have a 6 y/o Shar-Pei who has been having a lot of problems lately with her health. I know that this can be common with Shar-Pei's, but she has been relatively healthy for most of her life.

Just recently, she's had a lot of problems with her back legs swelling, temperature, and having a hard time getting around. And we just give her anti-inflammatories and she usually snaps right out of it, but this time, she just kept getting worse.

I noticed mid-week that she wasn't eating, and by yesterday afternoon, she looked like she was having a tough time breathing, so we took her to the emergency clinic, and they admitted her. She's on IV's. All her labs came back abnormal, and they think she may be bleeding internally from the anti-inflammatories.

Please pray for her as well as us!! As you all know, it's not cheap to take our babies to the doctors, especially when there is alot of work-up involved, and over-night stays, etc. I just want her to be better, and will do whatever I have to for that. But I have been on disability for over a year, and don't have that income to really put aside a lot of money for these kinds of emergencies.

Anyway, please pray for my baby that she'll come out of this and we'll find out what's wrong and it will get corrected!! THANKS!!! PG
  2. chopindog

chopindog New Member

I can't imagine my fur baby being sick like that! I am praying for you right when I get done writing. I hope your baby will be okay, and that the costs are not to high.

Love Joy
  3. PepperGirl52

PepperGirl52 New Member

Her name is Shar-Mein. She is a Shar-Pei, I think I mentioned that, but the fog is very heavy today, due to lack of sleep!

I have spent a lot of time with her in the past week, too. Just laying my hands on her, praying for her, holding her head in my lap. She knows how much we love her-they have that inbred ability to feel what we feel, don't they??

I'll keep you all updated. Right now, she's resting comfortably and they are going to try to get her to eat a little later this afternoon. Keep those prayers coming!

I've had to up the limit on a few credit cards so we can take care of her, but she's worth it!! PG
  4. Alyndra

Alyndra New Member

I've spent thousands by now keeping my feathered babies healthy. I know when something is wrong, our fur (or feathered!) babies become more like our children.

Hoping she comes home safe, sound, healthy & soon!

~Amanda
  5. spmary

spmary New Member

Iam so sorry about your precious furbaby! I will certainly pray for her ,the Vet. and you. Love, Mary
  6. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

PG,
    I'm sorry to hear about your dog and her problems. I hope they can help her to feel better. Keep us informed. I know how much it costs for this type of medical care for them. Hope it isn't going to be too much for you.

Prayers and hugs,
    Faye
  7. poodlemommy

poodlemommy New Member

I have two toy poodles and they are my babies. I know how heart wrenching this must be. I will keep your loved one in my prayers.
    hugs poodlemum
  8. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

Be sure to take care of yourself-your baby will need your help when she comes home!Linda
  9. Yucca13

Yucca13 Member

I hope your baby, Shar-Mein is doing better. I know how difficult it is when our loved fur-babies are ill.
    Hugs,
    Val
  10. Musica

Musica New Member

I would do what it took to save my furbaby, he is truly like my own child. I am praying for a quick and full recovery for little Shar-Mein! In the meantime, please try to get some rest so you don't go into a bad flare.
  11. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

Praying that your furbaby will get better soon. Also praying the vet bill will be affordable. Hopefully they caught it in time.

Hugs,
    Sandy
  12. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Oh how sad, I do hope and pray she will recover soon and be well. Keep yourself well too.
    Love Anne
  13. PepperGirl52

PepperGirl52 New Member

I have been on that particular website. That's where I got a lot of the info and treatment that I was using for her before she started turning for the worst.

It all started with the swollen hocks, fever, etc. She's been getting that consistently for months now. I sure wish we could get to the bottom of this!!

Anyway, I did get to bring her home last night, but she's really weak. She ate a little baby food and has been resting well. Thanks for the prayers-she really needs them!! PG
  14. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Peppergirl,
    I'm so sorry to hear about your precious companion. Rest assured that I will pray for her. I know how hard it is when one of our furkids is ill. I really worry when mine are.

Please let us now how she does.

Big Hugs,
    Tery
  15. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

I know first hand how stressful it is to have a sick pet. Ever since we got our little chihuahua she's had some pretty bad health problems ( over a 6 mo period). I've never had children, but I worry about her just like she's a little kid.

My prayers are for your precious dog-friend to get completely well very soon.

Kinsie
  16. Rosebookay

Rosebookay New Member

Hi Pepper Girl,
    I am so sorry about your Shar-Pei. I have a 6 year old Shih-Tzu who I love with all my heart. You and your baby will be in my prayers.

Rose
  17. severina

severina New Member

I know exactly how youre feeling - thankfully you have her home, give her all the Tlc you can!
    Im sure she will be fine and recover well.
    xx