My fur baby scratches until she is raw I need suggestions?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by atiledsner, Dec 13, 2005.

1. atiledsner

atiledsner New Member

My baby pooki has always scratched and caused some skin irritations on her body.She is now 5 and it seems worse.I have spent hundreds of dollars in the past 5 years.There are so many people that love their pets on this board I thought someone would have suggestions.Thanks
  2. Bambi

Bambi New Member

to see where you live, but if it's been below freezing you shouldn't have fleas right now, of course they can still hatch in a warm house..if you think there might be some set a shallow pan of water and a light (small lamp) near it..be sure it can't be tipped over into water. Normally fleas will go to the light at night and jummp in the water and drown. So then you know you have them and can treat accordingly.

Otherwise it could be something they
    call "hot spots"..hard to treat but it can be done. Call your vet but he may want to "see" the spots.

Could be an allergy to food (usually dyes or preservatives), try a small bit of Benedryl depending on size of dog. For my Chi that has allergies I use the blue ones and cut only about
    an eighth of an inch off the pointed end of the pill and push it down her throat. I only do it when she's really scratching alot.

It could also be, hopefully not, Diabetes. If the dog is over weight
    or has lost weight suddenly it should be looked into. It took them three years to diagnose my dad's dog and kept treating for "hot spots" until they finally did a Diabetes test.

There are other things but I think these are pretty much the most common. There is a site on line where a vet answers questions. You have to be a member to ask questions but he has lots of questions and answers already on there for anyone to read. You can just put "Vet answers" in your Search or at least I can with the MSN search. Since it can also be an allergy to the dirt in your yard, or grass or something inside if the
    Benedryl works the vet may want to test for what is causing it. My dog is allergic to the dirt and there's no way I can remove all that. Good luck.
  3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Do a google search for Dr. Goodpet, and you will find their website. They sell lots of products for pets.

A few years ago I was desperate to help my cat who had bumps all over her body. The vet said she had a flea allergy (even though she didn't have any fleas) but he said even one bite could cause that reaction.

Anyways, I bought two homeopathic remedies from the Dr. Goodpet site: one was called Flea Relief and the other was called Scratch Free. I gave my cat the drops from each mixed in a little milk a few times a day for several weeks, and the bumps finally went away. The best part is there were no side effects as there are from steroids, which vets often give for skin problems.

It's a very good website, they ship quickly, and have good products.

Mary
  4. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

Sometimes a deficiency of certain fatty acids in the diet can cause that. You can ask the vet about what longer chain fatty acids would be safe (for people it's evening primrose oil, flax, fish, etc).

Our little terrier had that problem and the vet just gave her shots of long-lasting cortisone (said it was perfectly safe) which worked, but then she got cataracts and went deaf at a much younger age because of the medication.

Jan
  5. Highlandrose

Highlandrose New Member

My Border Collie is 9 yrs old now and has been allergic to grass of all things, and flea bites as well, for her entire life. She weights 55lbs and the vet told me there were a couple of things I could do for the itchys.

1. Keep the house flea free. Not as easy as you think. But the drops work well to keep her flea free and then I spread Pennyroyal leaves around the house, walk on them for a couple of days and vacuum. Pennyroyal kills fleas. I do this once every month or so. Smells nice, too, so I don't mind. It's also bird safe.

2. Give her 2 Benydril twice a day when she gets really itchy from the grass. It does make her a little sleepy, but at 9, it could just be old age... :eek:/

3. Don't over bathe her. Shampoos can dry out her skin, making the itching worse.

Hope those ideas help,

Megan
  6. cczub

cczub New Member

Benadryl works great on my dog. He is allergic to beef and pork. I switched him to Beniful(think that's spelled close). It's all vegitable no meat dog food. Seems to really work and he doesn't have any problems anymore.

I was taking him to the vet once a month for steriod shots at $120 a visit. Now if he has a flareup I give him benadryl.

Good Luck...
  7. Wasabi

Wasabi New Member

A few years ago, my cat was scratching herself at lot, and she also began losing fur. Her belly was almost completely bare. I took her to a vet who suspected it was allergy to chicken.

He put her on a special dry food called Feline ZD, which uses chicken, but the protein is broken down so that it doesn't cause the same reaction.

My cat grew back all her fur, and although the food is a bit more expensive than supermarket cat food, it seems to have made a huge difference for her.
  8. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

My animals got mites that you can not see. I guess from one time I had my cat boarded at the vets months ago.

After spending tons of money on diet ect... 8 months later and vet skin scraping x3 showing nothing.

My boxer Ruby and my blind kitten are on revolution from the vet.

Happy :) to say that we are all getting slowly better!

The mites ate me alive when I got home from the hospital.

My whole family had been getting a few bites-then they started first on my 16 year old son then stopped and started on me.

Just sharing what I went through.
    Dee50

9. atiledsner

atiledsner New Member

I haven't a clue what kind of dog Pooki is. She is a rescue and I have absolutely no idea where she came from.She is about 25/30 pounds.Looks like she has a little bulldog,pug, but she has a very long body,little short legs like a wieney dog.I took her to the vet several times, I also got the she's could be allergic to fleas.She has no visable fleas.She does have little, black, about the size of a pencil eraser, spots that come up on her.They seem to cluster togather.When I bath her these lighten but have a clingy,almost,greasy residue left.I had wondered about mites.I have tried the Benedryl,no difference in her scratching.I will try anything to help her.She won't eat dry dog food so I buy her dry cat food,which she loves.I also feed her from the table, and I know I shouldn't but I just can't say no to her.My family thinks I am nuts because I call myself Mommy to her and at family functions I always be sure her plate is fixed before I sit down to eat.I went to a councelor once, she told me that because of how I was treated as a child I should buy myself a doll and treat that doll like I would like to have been treated as a child.When I got Pooki I decided to let her be my baby doll.This is totally not related to my topic but i wanted to share it.Both my parents had cancer. I first started to take care of my Mother in 2000, 24/7.I had to close a very profitable business to do this.She was so hard on me as a child and a young adult.Abusive YES!I spent the last 30 months of her life showing her love,{ unconditional} acceptance and everything i ever wanted as a child.I also was helping with my Dad too.It was the hardest job I ever had.BUT listen,please hear me.I have read so many messages where people on this board are so hurt at family members.God is my source and yours, and he controls everything,and if you ever get this one thing in your belief system....every thing will change.I never once raised my voice at my Mom or mistreated her.I knew from experience growing up how that hurt,I never wanted her to feel that pain.There is no amount of money or things that could buy the satisfaction of my job well done.God knows our heart and I believe with all my heart he will reward those with a good heart and good intentions.Thanks for listening and thanks for your responces about my furbaby.
  10. dunnlb

dunnlb New Member

I had a terrible experience with mites(mange/scabies) also.

I would suggest Revolution which should kill any type of parasite that might be causing the itching. I order mine online from petshed.com
  11. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

I think almost everyone knows that you should never feed dog food to a cat, but the reverse is also true. Cat food has many things added that a dog doesn't need (like extra vitamin A and arachadonic acid, which can cause a heightened immune response, as well as much more protein).

This is from a site about how to feed pets:

"Skin reactions to protein are the most common side effect, and you will notice scabbing and bare patches on animals that have far too much protein in their diet."

I would call a veterinary school and talk to an animal nutritionist about your dog's diet to see if that's the problem. Be sure to mention the "treats" - they can also cause an imbalance in the immune system.

Jan
  12. renae1979

renae1979 New Member

I would agree that you should never feed cat food to your dog. It could definitely be the problem and I'll second the previous poster - you should contact someone to discuss your dogs diet and these symptoms.
  13. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

don't feed your dog cat food! It doesn't have what your dog needs, or it has too much of what your dog needs. If your dog won't eat dry kibble try adding warm water to it. Use a good quality dog food. NOTHING from a grocery store is good for your dog. A very good dog food for dogs with allergy issues is NaturalBalance, made by Dick Van Patten. I am feeding my Shih Tzu their Venison and brown rice. Their allergy formula foods have a single protein which is easier for the dog to digest, and the food is extremely concentrated, so you feed less, and your dog poops less, and it smells less. They also have it in canned food, if that is the only way your dog with go. You can do the dry and add some canned on top or mix it together to get him used to the dry, and slow use less canned. They need the kibble for their teeth, unless you are feeding some raw meaty bones(soupbones, NOT smoked) for raw chicken necks and wings. This really takes good care of their teeth. You may say, feed chicken bones to my dog??? Yes, IF they are raw, then it is no problem. It is when they are cooked that they splinter and can cause damage.
    You can try a professional quality oatmeal shampoo as well. the good shampoos you can dilute and it if perfectly fine to bathe once/wk. I bathe my Tzu once/wk and no dry skin problems.
    Make sure there is no corn, wheat, that kind of thing in your dog food, as that is what causes most allergies.
    Raz
  14. jaltair

jaltair New Member

Bear has a "skin condition" that looks something like you describe your fur baby having and he will scratch until raw. He has long hair (1/2 lab and 1/2 chow with chow hair), so we keep his hair very short. The heat in the summer makes the skin condition worsen.

Besides having a cortisone shot every 6 weeks during his flares, I bathe him up to twice a week using a shampoo purchased at the Vets and by the Vets recommendation. During the bath, I use a very fine comb and fun it through the area affected to get rid of loose scabs.

His condition is much better now. I think because I bathe him very frequently and keep his hair shorter. He hasn't had a bad flare now for a couple of summers.

If you purchase a quality medicated shampoo for dogs / even one with pine tar / that might be where to start to see if it helps.

Oh, I've been rinsing Bear with a vinegar solution. It neutralizes the soap and seems to really make his hair shiney!

Jeannette
  15. EgyptStarr

EgyptStarr New Member

I don't know if dogs get Psoriasis, but that's what it sounds like. I have Psoriasis on my scalp, which is why I thought this when I read your description of the "patches" on your furbaby. (Except mine aren't black, of course....lol)
    Someone else mentioned pine tar shampoo..... Neutrogena T-Gel shampoo has COAL tar in it, and that's what I use for Psoriasis. Just thought that correllation was interesting...

BUT.... I DO know that you should NEVER have a dog on a cat food diet or a cat on a dog food diet! That may very well be the whole problem! Stop the cat food immediately and see what happens.... I bet you'll see an improvement! If the dog doesn't like dog food, as cruel as this sounds.... tough! If he/she is truly hungry, they'll eat it! Animals don't suffer from anorexia.... they WILL eat whatever is available to them before they will let themselves starve!

As someone else suggested, I would mix canned food with dry food, gradually cutting back on the canned to allow the dog to get used to it. You can also mix in water, or as my mom always mixed in our dogs' food, gravy, leftover grease (after frying hamburger, chicken, etc.), or even raw eggs. The raw eggs are REALLY good for their coat, from what I was told.

But first.... just GET RID of the cat food! If you have cats, you will have to start feeding them and storing their food where the dog cannot get to it. Store the food in a cabinet that the dog can't open, and feed the cats on top of your kitchen counter or some other place they can get to but the dog can't.

My mom has a small "kitty hole" in her bathroom door, keeps the bathroom door closed at ALL times, and keeps the cats' food and litter box in the bathroom, so that her German Shepard can't go in there and eat their food or their poop from the litter box!

Hope this helps!

Hugs!
    Starr
    [This Message was Edited on 12/13/2005]
    [This Message was Edited on 12/13/2005]
  16. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

my shih tzu is allergic to beef and beef products and she too would scratch until her skin was red raw.

i would look to her food and treat with frontline as its the best on the market right now but check her skin is not broken first.

johnsons dog flea shampoo will get rid of the sticky residue on her coat (its the red one from the johnsons range).

my great grandma would swear by a cup of tea every day to keep her poodles skin nice but then she also had a saucer of sherry every night too!

give pooki a hug from us :)
  17. tngirl

tngirl New Member

Boy does that sound familiar! I have a cream colored poodle/bijon mix. If untreated she will pull her hair out and make sores on her body from the biting and scratching.

The vet tried a steroid medication when made her lose control of her bladder. She would be lying there asleep and just pee everywhere. We tried reducing the dose, then stopped it because after all, peeing everywhere is not an acceptable side effect :)

Then she took atarax for a while, which is an anti histamine. this helped slightly.

Now she takes Atopica. This is prescribed by the vet, and has been a good solution to everything except my pocket book! Summer time is the worst time for her, she itches worse then. During the summer she gets one daily. The other seasons I can get by with every other day or every third day.

We tried giving her noting but special food from the vet for six months. That didn't help so we switched back to regular food, since the vet food was more expensive.

There is vitamins that puts more oil into them and also helps their coats. I can't remember the name of those.

There is special tests to figure out what they are allergic to, but it was going to cost $2000, and they said the results were not always accurate. So I didn't want to spend the money unless it was a sure thing.

When Cammie gets sores from biting, she takes antibiotics for a while so she won't get a staph infection.

I wish I could add her as a dependent to my health insurance!
  18. JPach007

JPach007 New Member

I work at a Vet clinic and we see lots of different issues regarding skin.

Dogs usually get mange when they are puppies, not as older dogs...a quirk in their immune system (we all know about that!)...loss of hair is a good indicator.

The little black spots you mentioned sound like flea dirt. The fleas typically migrate to right above the tail first. One flea can cause one dog to act like it has millions of fleas with all the itching, etc. While another dog may have a million fleas and not itch at all. Pugs tend to have more sensitive skin. A good flea protection will do wonders. (Get this from a local Vet..not the Internet or grocery store).

Allergies..
    To really determine food allergies, environment allergies, testing at the Vet would be required. Just like humans, we can guess, but actual testing would need to be done,,,and yes, that can get expensive. Also lighter pigmented animals are more allergy sensitive.

Food:
    We always suggest to stay away from all "wet" foods be it cat or dog food. It is mostly water anyway so you are just buying an expensive water! I have seen what "cheap dog food" does to an animals fur, and it isnt pretty! No shine, thin, scaly, flaky, etc, etc...Mixing the dry food with water is ok..

Bathing: As someone mentioned, dont bathe too frequently, use an oatmeal base, animal shampoo, this is soothing to the skin.

Hope this helps!
    JPach
  19. goldenrod

goldenrod New Member

my dog Benny has bad allergies and he has always been a scratcher and licker and gets sores from doing this. I tried anti allergy food and all kinds of dog foods and nothing worked. finally I decided to make him homemade dog food and everything cleared up and he is a much happier dog. he is 8 now but is more like a puppy since I started making his dog food for him. it is more expensive and a lot of work once a week but he is worth it. I make a big batch of brown rice, baked liver, and add turnip and carrots and whatever veggies I have to the steaming rice. when it is all done, i put a few table spoons of olive oil on it and freeze some of it. put the rest in the fridge and give him a few cups a day. he loves it, if you do decide to change your dog to home made food, do it slowly. if you don't do it slowly he or she will get diarhea.
    good luck
    Mark
  20. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

My dog was scratching and biting herself raw but didn't have fleas.

Took her to the vet and she had staph on her skin. The type is usually not transmitted to humans, but some shampoo and some meds cleared it up.