my furry baby is having babies

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by dollinitup, Aug 5, 2007.

1. dollinitup

dollinitup New Member

anytime now, we expect miss suzie to go into labor.

she is a toy poodle.
    this is her first time, she just turned 3 in june. this was a planned pregnancie for those of you wondering.lol

anyway, i read that when the time gets close the mommy's temp will drop. the normal for a dog is 101-102 and when it drops under 100 that means it is within 24 hours.
    suzies temp just a few minutes ago is 99.6.

i am just looking for other signs to look for and was wondering if anyone here has had any experience.

i am starting to get excited!

doll
  2. dollinitup

dollinitup New Member

lookin for any advice or comments
  3. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

this is what I read...

Approximately 24 hours prior to delivery, most dogs will become restless, will lose their appetite, and have a drop in body temperature. Once labor begins, the dog will lie on her side and abdominal contractions are usually visible just before the puppy emerges. She will lick herself and the puppy in the normal course of delivering the pups. There can be delays of 30 minutes or more between puppies. If prolonged time passes and it is clear more puppies are still in the uterus, a veterinarian should be contacted immediately.

I don't have anything else for you... good luck.

Love to all, Ann
  4. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I, too, have cats, but watching pets birth young is so exciting.

I hope all is uneventful and the babies are precious. Do you have a vet you can call if things don't go well? Usually they do, but you never know.

I hope you can enjoy the puppies...such fun to have young animals around for a bit.

Are you selling them? Probably, I think.

Thanks for sharing.

Sue
  5. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Sounds wonderful! I loved the planned pregnancy comment!

With all the dog experience I have, having one give birth is not included. At least not since I was just a kid.

DH wanted to leave our lab, Aster, intact so she could have pups when he was ready for a new hunting dog. I could tell early on that Aster was not going to fit the standard for labs, and although we love her dearly, breeding her would not have improved the breed at all. I told him he could buy a pup when the time came. Aster is now 11 and DH has never gotten another lab pup. Aster has been enough for him.

Make sure you post us some pictures! Is she white, black or party colored?

(And fill out something on your bio! We want to get to know you!)

Hugzz
    Greenbean

Stop and smell the puppies!
  6. dollinitup

dollinitup New Member

still waiting, getting more nervous every hour.
    i will return when things are calmer with detail on how all this come to be.

some quick answers to some questions in the mean time though.
    she is black and i own the daddy and he is black as well.

i do have a vet on stand by but he was on vacation until today so i was bit nerved up for a couple days waiting for him to be back.

no we do not plan to sale the babies actually. money was never a motive.
    this was planned and it is a one time thing. daddy goes in tomorrow morning for the big "snip snip. mommy will be getting fixed as soon as she recovers from child birth.

anyway gotta go, i will be back in a few days and hopefull with news , details and picture.

hugs,
    doll
  7. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

my birthday. Can I have a puppy! Please, oh please, oh please!!!

Best of luck to all!

rafiki
  8. dollinitup

dollinitup New Member

you can have a puppy but it will have to be a boy.
    suzie has had 4 puppies today, there might be a 5th one yet we don't know for sure yet. anyway they are all boys!

one was stillborn. he was the second to come but he was very large.(at least the size of 2 of the other put together) so i wasn't surpized when he was having trouble getting through.

anyway right now miss suzie has 3 healthy boys.

i shall return if there is anymore news.
    it is 3:07 pm here right now and i have been dealing with this since 1:30 am this morning. she is being a wonderful mommy but she's slow i guess.lol

doll
  9. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

So sorry about the little lost puppy. I can't imagine being a midwife for my dog. I'd be a mess!

So, where do I pick up my puppy ;~)

Peace and puppies,
    r
  10. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

We raise labs and it is always so much fun! The last litter we had I had to give mouth to mouth to a little female - it ended up that she was the only female in the bunch! Everything turned out wonderful and she is now in her new home.

They are so cute and playful!

Kelly

Can't wait to see a pic!
  11. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Sad about the one loss, but very happy for the three little guys! Glad she's a good mommy.

Well done, Ms. Doggie Mid-Wife! I could never do that.

Happy birthday, Rafiki...! Have fun with your new puppy!

(-:

Nice to think about, anyway.

Sue
  12. dollinitup

dollinitup New Member

which puppy do you want?

i won't ship so hope you can pick him up!lol

doll