My golf cart caught on fire I'm Ok but mad

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ckball, Oct 20, 2007.

1. ckball

ckball New Member

it was my fault. I checked the water in the batteries the other day and did not get the cap tight on one.

Tonight I was doing my usual turn around on a one lane road that was just paved and the shoulder sets lower now.

So you bump when you of the go on the shoulder. So I guess some battery acid came out and hit a wire harness and there was a fire.

I raised the seat up and it had already melted the protective covering for the batteries. Luckily I had some water with me and threw it on there. I know electrical fires and water don't mix well but I had no other option.

Second lucky thing was I was just one road over from home and the ONLY people that live on that road were home. So the hubsand tied me to his truck and pulled me home.

My day started bad and ended bad. In between was pretty good spent some good time with the girls. We were just getting our last walk in before dark.

I was suppose to go to the New River Gorge and the person that was suppose to go with me didn't show up or call. So I stayed home.

I missed my best freind that died earlier this year today, she was always up for anything and she would have not let me down. The other lady is my contractor and was the only person I knew that could or would go. Knowing her she just forgot, she really is a very busy person, but a call would have been nice at some point. I could never do that to someone.

I really try to remain positive and turn bad around but dang it, my golf cart is dead right now. No one in this town works on them, I checked that a while back. I bought a CD on ebay that is the instuction manual for it. The guy that sells them says he sells all the parts and fixes them as his sole business.. great... he is in Texas.

He said he offers free diagnostics and advice with my purchase of the CD, so I took pictures and will email him and see if we can do this threw mail. Looks like I will learn another new skill.

So that is my gripe fest, thank you for reading it. It is so good to have you all here to support and understand. I'll get over it, but it was a bad day-so I baked chocolate chip cookies and chocolate chip muffins- both were snack size :) so help yourself--Carla
  2. laceymae

laceymae New Member

are your girls big enough to hitch to the front of the golf cart? They could pull you...

At least you had some help getting back home.

sorry you've had such a lousy day.

3. Khalyal

Khalyal New Member

I'm so sorry honey. I know how much pure enjoyment you get out of that cart. Here's hoping it's an easy fix!

4. laceymae

laceymae New Member

I just remembered, there is a guy that lives on Route 5 that works on riding mowers and weed eaters. Maybe he might know something about your golf cart.

I'll email you his name and number if hubby can remember it.
  5. ckball

ckball New Member

Thank you so much, it does make me feel better to hear from all of you.

Lacey please let me know about the guy your hubby knows. I can borrow a trailer to haul it to him. There was a guy I use to take my rider to close to Rt 5 but he is gone now. I hope it's not the same guy.

I have been on the phone with my real one and only best freind. But she is a sick freind, she has RSD and her own things to deal with, so we don't talk as much as we use to. We have been freinds since we were 12 yo. Her SIL to be is a mechanic so he may be able to help me.

Now I just have to figure what burned up, I emailed the guy in TX so hopefully he can help me.

Linda thanks for the google, I am not sure where Berlin is but it would be at least 3-4 or 8-10 hours from me. But you think you may have had more matches if you googled "golf" and not "gulf", sorry it did make me laugh.

I will get it done just wish I hadn't been so careless. I thought I tighened all of them down. I did smell something as we were going up a hill but couldn't figure out if it was the air or the cart.

But I didn't stop and check, just went about my ride and the smell went away until I hit the bump. Should have listened to my inner voice and I wouldn't have a fire if I had discovered the cap before I hit the bump.

Lesson for the day- LISTEN to that little voice the FIRST time you hear it- Good night and bless you all for being here and the prayers sent my way-Carla
    [This Message was Edited on 10/20/2007]
  6. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear about the fire on your golf cart. I heat something about it on the porch and could find out any more information about it and here it was on the other side of the board.

Hope you can find someone to get it fixed soon. That surely is royal pain in the you know where. That is really bad !!

Thinking of you !!

Big hugs,

7. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

Wow, I am so sorry Carla. I know how you loved cruisin' in your cart. Maybe if you call a few repair shops, they can recommend someone who can fix it for you on the side. Maybe some young guy could use the money and would come by on his day off for some extra cash. Put an ad in the paper or on

I have to admit, I got a little chuckle out of this line: "So the husband tied me to his truck and pulled me home." I had this visual image of poor Carla, roped and hauled in her house shoes and "frog eyes", with the dogs running behind and the cart left smoking on the side of the road.

Did you have to walk far to his house in your condition? Or did he see you and come to you? What a lousy thing to have happen now, when you need it most!

I'm glad you didn't get hurt and were at least close to home with someone nearby to help. Hope you find someone who can get your cart up and running for you.

8. ckball

ckball New Member

that was the best laugh I had all day. My being dragged down road with my house shoes and frog eyes- oh my that was a good one, thank you.

Granni thank you as well hope you have a good time and win a few bucks too-

I really am going to bed now-Carla
  9. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Well, what rotten luck! Were the girls w/ you? Were they frightened?

Yes, I certainly hope you can get it back on the road again w/o too much expense or delay.

(You don't have flames painted on the side, do you?)

I looked at the site w/ the really tall bridge and the jumpers, etc. Is it true that next year's bridge festival will be replaced w/ a golf cart race?

And they're off!

10. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

Just came off of the porch and saw a bit about your cart but got lost. I hate to say this too but you painted a delightful picture of you behind the truck. Just so glad that you didn't get hurt though.

We have always wished for a cart but don't have a good place to keep it soooooo----the car makes do.

it seems that bad things don't happen by "Ones"----another event is not far behind. Sso sorry8 about your trip disappointment! I hope that today - Sun. - os better for you.

My8 hubby said that maybe I should come out to the kitchen at 6 p.m. and find something to eat. That means i don't have long.

Carla: I wish you the best in getting your cart repaired. Such a mess!!!

KLuv you and send Gentle Hugs,

11. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

12. ckball

ckball New Member

Thank you for your words, I guess I did set mself up for the tied to the truck thing,lol. Wasn't even thinking just typing.

I have a neighbor that has a bunch of farm equipment and huge metal building work shop. I think he may be able to help me.
    I have the service manual that shows what is suppose to go where. I could do it but I don't have the electric meters that are required to make sure the electical system is right.

The more I looked at it today, I am not sure it was battery acid, it looks like a metal coupling broke, maybe when I hit the bump and with the fumes from the batteries it started the fire.

Oh well, I will find out tomorrow I guess. I did stay busy outside, sat on the porch with the girls and looked threw my stained glass books. Trying to figure out what to make my boss for her new baby.

Rock no I don't have flames painted on my cart but the cushions I made to make it more comfy for me are fire engine red. Carla