my GP (PCP) and probiotics

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tansy, Jun 25, 2003.

1. tansy

tansy New Member

Saw my GP today and we were discussing what I was doing to help myself, this included probiotics. My heliobacter blood test was negative but we both know a pathogen's involved there. Anyway I told her I'd found some of the soil based organisms that are not destroyed by the stomach's acid so I thought I'd give one of them a try.

She made the comment that more and more doctors in the UK are recognising not only probiotics' value but their safety too.

Pheeeew it's taken them long enough!

Cheers

Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 06/25/2003]
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Tansy! Thats one up for us. A doctor that would listen to a patient for a change, we should all be so lucky.

Shalom, Shirl
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The value of probiotics and leaky gut syndrome have been know for years, but do docs tell their patients to take them? No!

Syndrome X has been known about in the medical community for years, but when a patient comes in with weight gain around the middle, increased cholesterol, poor lipid results on tab tests, and high blood pressure, does the doc tell them they are insulin resistant? No!

These are only two examples of how the medical community lets us down on an ongoing basis.

Love, Mikie
  4. tansy

tansy New Member

set up for GPs but which involve unorthodox treatments. Natural HRT is one example. Only doctors who have a respect for methods other than those they have been taught, or who have an open mind bother to go on these.

She particularly likes probiotics because they give her a viable option and of course lots of people have dysbiosis of the gut.

On the downside, as Mikie already knows, if I want long term anti biotics she is less likely to go against the current caution over using any antibiotics unless absolutely necessary.

It's ironic that over use of ABs in farming and the medical community has caused so many problems just at the very time when it looks as though patients with immune based illnesses may need them.

Cheers

Tansy
  5. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I've written a lot of posts on my food allergies & my "leaky gut syndrome" which I first learned about HERE (thank you, everyone!) and taking probiotics are definitely an essential part of my recovery!! I feel this leaky gut stuff is a HUGE factor in my contracting FM to begin with. My allergist put me on probiotics, but he's a little off the path of "traditional" doctoring. It would be great to see more mainstream physicians discussing probiotics with their patients.

Yay! This is great to hear....

Hugs,
    pam