My Grandma died last week. She was 103.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cjcookie, Oct 18, 2005.

1. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

I've talked about Grandma before. She would have been 104 on the 25th. She had five generations of family with her when she died. The funeral was really beautiful. We let 104 balloons go at the cemetary. We had different colors to represent siblings, children, grandchildren, great grandchildren, great great grandchildren, and friends. Also one gold one for Grandma. The airport nearby diverted the planes for us. My son read something he had written for Grandma at the funeral and did a great job. I was so proud of him - Grandma would have been too.

The local paper did an article on her and one of the St. Louis news stations ran a story.

It seems silly that I still cry every day because what more could I have asked for than almost 104 years.
  2. bozey

bozey New Member

to hear about your grandma. I'm sure you do miss her every day. It doesn't matter what age she was. You will still miss her terribly. Grandmas are the best. I haven't had a grandma since 1967. And haven't had a Grandpa since 1985.

I saw this on the news the other day. I told my hubby WOW, that lady lived a long time. I'm outside of St. Louis. That was a neat idea letting the balloons go.

Sorry for your loss.

bozey
  3. ckk

ckk New Member

I AM VERY SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS, BUT THE FUNERAL SOUNDED BEAUTIFUL!!!! IT SOUNDED VERY FAMILY ORIENTED AND IT SOUNDED LIKE SHE WOULD HAVE LOVED IT. I AM SURE SHE WAS LOOKING DOWN LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT. AND IT IS NOT SILLY THAT YOU STILL CRY! MY FATHER DIED 11 YEARS AGO AND I STILL CANNOT WATCH MY WEDDING VIDEO BECAUSE HE IS "ALIVE" IN IT, AND I CAN HEAR HIS VOICE AND SEE HIM MOVING AROUND. THAT MAY NOT MAKE SENSE TO SOME AND IT MAY MAKE PERFECT SENSE TO OTHERS. DEATH IS HANDLED IN MANY DIFFERENT WAYS. BUT ONE THING IS FOR SURE...SHE WILL ALWAYS BE WITH YOU. TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF.
    CKK
  4. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

They used one of my favorite pictures. When my son turned one, she put on his silly cowboy hat and I took a picture. She was always funny. I'll try to add a couple to my profile.

Do you live in Missour or Illinois? We live in Wood River.
  5. SoxFan

SoxFan New Member

I'm sorry for your loss. It sounds like your Grandma had a lot of people who loved her dearly. I love the idea of releasing the baloons.
  6. 1horse

1horse New Member

103, hOW WONDERFUL IS THAT. She must have been a real special lady. You will miss her always. I love the balloon idea. so sorry for your loss and my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. ~hugs~ peggy
  7. Toga

Toga Member

Just wanted to tell you that I saw it on the news also. Wonderful story.

What part of the St. Louis area do you live? I'm in the Washington Missouri area, about 50 miles west on I-44.

Toga
  8. Grandma6

Grandma6 New Member

cjcookie,

I am so very sorry to hear of your loss. It is not silly to cry every day for your Grandma. I lost my Mom in Feb and I still have days that I cry and then that brings up the pain from lossing my Daddy in 2002 and I cry more. Loss of a loved one is the hardest thing to cope with as far as I am concerned.

I can only imagine the stories she was able to relate to you because of her age. This is one of the things that bothers me the most, (that people do not use the valuable history that we should all take advantage from our elders). I use to love to sit and talk to elders and try to imagine all the struggles they went through in order for all of us to have the spoiled life that we do. That's why we should count our blessings every day for all the things that we take for granted. EXample: air conditioning, running water in our homes, modern medicine, etc. Just think of how strong our elders had to be and thank the Lord for what they sacrificed for us.

You are a very blessed individual to have had such a role model to follow.

I pray that your heart heals and the only advise I can give you is to pass on her stories and memories of her to the young ones in your family so that her life will never be forgotten.

God be with you and Yours,
    Grandma6
  9. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

My 100 yr old great grandma passed this past year and what I thought was amazing was the fact that she was a part of the whole family.

What I mean is that when you look at the family she raised - it turned out to be so much and that just went to show what kind of a woman she was.

Your Grandmother lived a long life and I am sure she would want you to celebrate that life. I believe she is still proud of your children and knows about all the wonderful things you did for her at her funeral to celebrate her.

Thinking of you
    Kelly
  10. Kat_in_Texas

Kat_in_Texas New Member

What an amazing lady your grandma must have been, and what a loving and caring legacy she's obviously left behind. I'm sure she is extremely proud of you! As the others have said, the funeral sounds beautiful. What a tribute to an awesome grandmother!

My grandmother died 18 months ago at the age of 96. I still miss her, but I feel so blessed that I had my grandma until I was 47 years old! Not many people can say that! My kids are only 25 and 23 and my mom is their only grandparent still living. My mom's health isn't very good so it's unlikely that they will have the privilege of having an "adult" relationship with their grandmother that I was blessed to have with mine. And their kids may never know a great-grandparent. Like me, you are so fortunate to have had that, and your kids to have a great-grandparent.

But even so, we miss those we love so deeply. It's not silly for you to mourn the loss of someone so special, so don't get down on yourself. The good news is that you'll see her again one day ... and what a great day that will be when you are reunited!

Until then, hold tight to those sweet memories of your grandma!

Kat
  11. bozey

bozey New Member

I live about 30 miles from St Louis in House Springs,Mo. If you are going down 44west, you turn off at the Eureka exit left and House Springs is about 10 miles from there.
  12. rileyearl

rileyearl New Member

to your Grandma. She must have been one special woman. It just fills me up to read your post. Hooray for you to have such good genes in your body. Tears are healing, so let them come. We celebrate and mourn with you. Thanks for sharing her life with us.

Love,

Francie
  13. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

I live in Wood River which is on the Illinois side of the Mississippi. St. Louis is about 20 minutes away. One of my cousins is from House Springs (same Grandma).

I thought I'd tell you a little bit about her - probably just to make me feel better but I think it's interesting.

She was the original single Mom. She was divorced in about 1940 or 41 and raised five children with no help whatsoever. She made sure every single child, grandchild, great grandchild, and great great grandchild had a present from her every year at Christmas. Everyone also got a birthday card (most with $3.00 in it). She made flannel nightgowns for all the girls and crocheted afghans for everyone.

Grandma volunteered more hours than I can count at the Moose and she worked as a waitress there during Bingo until she was 101.

She drank beer until the age of 98 when my Mom consorted with the doctor to tell her she couldn't drink with her new blood pressure medicine (first medicine ever). She never had a driver's license. She lived a few blocks from a root beer stand and walked all the kids over there to eat at one time or another. She took my son over while he rode his tricycle. Do you know how long it takes a child to ride a tricycle that far? That would have been when she was almost 90. She NEVER spent a night in a hospital. I could go on for days, but I'm sure you get the picture. She was absolutely the most wonderful woman (next to my Mom) that I've ever known.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/19/2005]
  14. JLH

JLH New Member

Condolences on the loss of your grandmother.

You were so blessed to have her in your life for so long, as were others in her life.

Not very many people get to enjoy life on this earth for that many years.

She will now live on forever in peace in a better place.

Much love,
    Janet
  15. Countrymom

Countrymom New Member

for your grief. It is perfectly fine to miss her sooo much. Sounds like you had a great relationship. My Granny died earlier this year and although we were so pleased she was out of her misery and knew what a wonderful place she was going to, I still miss her terribly. She has always been in my life and I was so close to her. I have actually forgotten she was gone and put together packages for her and then remembered... which always brings me to tears.

Take it slow and allow yourself to miss her. You deserve it.
  16. fivesue

fivesue New Member

you loved your grandma and you will miss her! It doesn't matter that she lived a very long life! I'm glad you had such a wonderful grandma and such a long time to be with her.

I am sorry for the loss!

Sue
  17. granny1353

granny1353 New Member

You're grandma sounds like a wonderful lady, one that any of us would be lucky to call our own. How blessed she was to have been healthy for the majority of her life.

My grandma died 30 years ago and I still cannot go to the cemetery, but I think of her and miss her everyday.
    I don't think you will ever get over missing her.

Thank you for sharing part of her with us, and if you feel like telling us more stories, I would love it.

Sorry for your loss
    Granny
  18. Mareeok

Mareeok New Member

a fiesty lady! 103. That's wonderful.

I'm so sorry for your loss. As time passes you will have so many lovely memories of her. You are in my prayers and thoughts.

Maree
  19. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

This means a lot to me.