My grandmother is in Heaven today!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hagardreams, Jun 24, 2010.

1. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

Grams was 93, and lived a very good life. She passed away last night.

My grandmother was more like my mom. When my parents divorced, we moved in with her. She took care of me after my diabetes showed up in 1973. I had a headach one day, and I layed down to sleep it off. My grams realized that it was my blood sugar making my head hurt. She got me some food, and I was feeling better in no time. If not for her realizing that it was my blood sugar, I would not be here.

She lived a good life. She was an insurance agent for many years, and when she retired she became a foster grandparent for the local elementry school. In 2005 she could no longer take care of herself, so she had to go to an assisted living center. It was very hard on her, so was always on the go, and doing for others. She just started getting bad about 3 months ago, memory wise, and not able to walk anymore. I called her on mothers day and I dont think she even knew who I was. That had to be the hardest thing of all of this. With her memory coming and going, she just declined farther and farther. She had been in a lot of pain for several months, and her passing was truly a blessing! I miss her, and it hurts, but I am so thankful to have had her in my life as long as I have.

To be a grandmother, and have a grandmother still around was my pride and joy. Now that she is gone, we will miss her. My youngest grandson is 6 months old, and he did get to spend some time with her, and we got some great pictures and videos of them together. Not many can say that they have met their great-great grandmother. My 7 year old granddaughter lives farther away, but she was around her when she was younger.

Thanks for listening. I just needed to talk about her. I miss her, but I do praise God that she is home now!

2. gapsych

gapsych New Member

So sorry about your grandmother. Sounds like she a very compassion person. A great, great grandmother. Now that is something!!

I'm sure you have lots of fond memories and may they help you get through this sad time.

Take care.

3. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

you were surely blessed to have her for that long, i also had a grandmother that raised me, although i lost her too soon she was 68 and 20 years ago, i still miss her every day.

but they are good memories because of the person she was.
    Yes, your gram is in paradse now, her true home.
    be on the look out, i bet she will send you signs she is fine and is thinking about you also.

About 5 years after my grandmother passed, i was missing her terribly on day, i was going thru my china cabinet, cleaning it. when i came across one of her platters, it was dusty so i thought i would wash it. i turned it over and there was her name written by her taped to the bottom. it had been a long time since i saw her handwriting, she could only writer her name and numbers.

then, the Phone rang, it was a woman asking for Agnes Miller! i about fell over, i explained to the woman she had been gone fo 5 years, well she just apologized and said it was a courtesy call for an Insurance company.

But i know where that call came from :)

4. glenda2

glenda2 New Member

i am so sorry for you loss but like you said it is a blessing...she is in a much better place!
    i will put you in my prayers.

5. renehicks

renehicks New Member

Thinking of you and your family today . xxx
  6. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I understand the greif you are feeling now and I pray that you will know that she is no longer in pain and will be watching over you and your family now and in years to come. You must have been a blessing to her as she was to you. I can feel how much youu loved and respected her. I would like to say that I am so sorry for your loss.

I can't say I know how you feel as every one feels differently, but when the sadness gets hard to bear think of the good memories you shared with her. The times she showed you love , kindness, brought you happiness and gave you a safe place to come to when you needed it.

Remeber me when ever you see a blue , blue sky, or hear the song of a bird, or feel the touch of a rose. Remember me and I will be remebering you. This is part of a song my Mom loves.
    My heart does hurts for you.
    May God bless you in this time of sadness.
    Love ,
  7. greatgran

greatgran Member

So sorry, but you have great memories.. But she is suffering no more. I watched this happen to my Mom and it hurts. I am a greatgran and wonder how my grans will remember me..

Prayers for you and your family,
  8. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Hi Julie,

My deepest sympathy to you and your family.

You are lucky to have had a wonderful grandmother. Feel comfort in knowing that you will meet again someday in Heaven to spend eternity together.
  9. shirley1259

shirley1259 New Member

I am sorry for the sadness that you are going through but I am glad that you know she is in a better place. My best friend died from cancer last year and I still miss her terribly but it is a comfort for me too to know that she is in heaven. I listen alot to toby keiths song crying for me. It hit the nail on the head for me.
    I am so glad that you had her. She sounds like a special lady and now she is getting all the rewards she deserves.
  10. Yucca13

Yucca13 Member

I know how hard it is to say goodbye to our loved ones. May you be comforted by your happy memories of your grandmother. She must have been a special lady. Now you have a special angel to help look out for you! val
  11. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

Thanks to all who replied. I really needed to talk about her.

We had the funeral today. I did good, but it really hit me tonight. I am so happy for her, but I hurt for me right now. They did a good job with her at the funeral home. She looked 70, instead of 93. She just looked at peace, and that is what is keeping me sane right now. To see her last monday in all that pain just tore me up. It made my pain worse.

I do feel better knowing that I got to talk to her before she went. I know that some dont have that. When I told her it was ok to let go and go home, and she nodded yes, I felt a relief.

The hospice people said they were suprised that she held on as long as she did. My mother finally got to go see her on wednesday, and she told her that she forgave her, and that she loved her, and it was that night that she let go and went home. They think that is what she was waiting for.

My mom is bipolar, and they have had a lot of problems over the years. My mother just could never let go of stuff, and made things out to be more than they were. I think my grandmother was very pleased to hear my mom admitting that she made mistakes, and told her that she was sorry for all of them. At least it helped my grandmother to let go, and get out of this miserable world.

The service was interesting. She lived in a small town, and these people are really different. The preacher spent most of his time preaching on being saved, and while I think that is ok, he just spent too much time on that subject. A funeral should be about the person that died and the family and friends.

When I was first diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in 1973, I was home one day and I had a headach. I layed down to sleep, and she got me up and said that I needed to eat something. She realized that my blood sugar was low. If not for her, I would not be here. She knew that something was wrong, when I had no clue. I lived with her at the time after my parents divorced. She had a duplex, and I stayed with her in the upstairs apt, and my mom and brother lived in the downstairs apt. Anyway, she saved my life, as she did many times.

The stress from all of this has made my fibro pain much worse, and I really need to relax and think of her, not me. Right now I guess its just hard. I just miss her so much! I know that it will get better in time, I just need to focus and try to stay busy.

She is at peace and with her dog, Bucky. He was her baby. Bucky looked like a saint bernard, but he was not full blood. She babied him so much. He died in 1992, and it just tore her up. She could never get close to another dog after that.

Thanks again to everyone who replied. I just needed to talk.

12. somelife

somelife Member

Sorry for the loss of your precious grandmother. Some of us are so fortunate to be able to know and cherish them. May your sweet and precious memories bring you comfort in the coming days.