My Hands HURT!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by enigma4444, Oct 24, 2005.

1. enigma4444

enigma4444 New Member

Does anyones else have hands that ache? I can hardly type this because they hurt o much. this sucks!
  2. aquabugs

aquabugs New Member

I have achy hands as well. If I write a lot, they'll cramp so that they are not functional. Sorry I can't give you a solution. Just wanted to let you know you are not alone.

Sylvia
  3. emiltim

emiltim New Member

I've noticed that when my hands are swollen, and hurt first thing in the morning- it is usually going to be a painful day. Weird, huh?
    -Julie
  4. Mareeok

Mareeok New Member

my hands hurt something awful. I can't hold a book and forget about trying to turn the page. When driving I have to keep changing my position on the steering wheel.

You have my empathy and prayers.
  5. vertiesmth

vertiesmth New Member

THANKS SO MUCH FOR BRINGING THIS UP. I'VE HAD BAD HANDS FOR SEVERAL YEARS NOW AND ONLY ASPRIN OR TYLENOL HELPS ME GET THRU THE DAY. THEY ARE REALLY STIFF IN THE MORNINGS. AND DON'T DARE GET THEM BUMPED. LOVE TO ALL, VERTIE
  6. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

I have two aspects of painful hands; the hands themselves, and the fingers individually. For the fingers, I sort of knead them up and down to get things flowing - a trick my chiro showed me. For the hands, just gentle stretching. The colder my hands are, the more they ache.
  7. JLH

JLH New Member

You are not alone!

My hands hurt a lot due to having osteoarthritis in them. I can just be sitting still and feel them ache.

I am convinced that I have the arthritis from my nearly 40 years of constant typing. I started typing classes when I was 15. At age 17, I started working full-time as a typist on old MANUAL typewriters!! Worked on manual typewriters for a few years before they upgraded to electric typewriters. I was soooooo thankful to see electric typewriters!!!

I always worked administrative/business-type jobs that required use of computers--so I never got rid of that keyboard activity.

I have arthritis so bad in my fingers (hands) and wrists that the joints get swollen to the point that I can't bend them. My hands and wrists also become so weak that I can't pick up a heavy skillet--I have dropped many heavy things!!

Yes, it sucks, but it's not as bad as some of my other pain in other places on my body. My back pain is far worse--also thanks again to arthritis (just one of my back problems!!) Ugh!
  8. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

I have osteo A. in my hands and it so painful!! It began in my "mouse' hand. My fingers are swollen and my wrists are worse. After my evening shower, I sometimes put ice/hot on them and it helps a little. i wake up in the morning and some of the fingers are asleep.

They also get sooooo cold - always have. I am ready to wear gloves and it is 45 outside. No one else does - they think I am crazy.

I bought 2 doz spoons and 1 doz. forks at Wal-mart. They have plastic handles and are easier to handle than my good ones. They were 6 for a $1.00~~~~~~ I keep them in glasses and only use them. They really are a help. I have also found some ball point pens with soft plastic above the ink, etc. They reallyo help too.

I found a sheep skin thing that Velcros on your seat belt to keep it from hurting your neeck. I found that it is great velcrod on to my cane handle so it doesn't hurt my hands.

hope some of this helps.

gentle Hugs
  9. cph13

cph13 Member

This has been going on for sometime now. Seems there is a problem with my DIP joints.....Oh yes, they are Dippy. First my right hand now both. The thumbs are the worst. Also get the stiff fingers during the night.
    I take more vitamins than U could imagine. I was without MOVE FREE for 3 months. Not a good thing.

I recently moved from 5 room to 3. My husband passed away almost 2 years ago and I had to size down. :-(
    Now I am boxed in here and just CAN'T. I wish there was something we could do about it. Hot baths help but I hate just sitting there. Too lazy to get the moist heat out (if I can find the pads :-(

Losing my love was the worst. Now that I've moved I realized how much he did for me. I have to do it alone and it just makes things worse.

Not to be sarcastic but I hope he's having a good time in heaven. I tease all the time saying, " sure, he's gone. He knew what was coming". What a doll he was; never letting me lift or carry things. Well, I certainly am making up for it now.

If anyone has a quick fix or even a slow fix aside from a real FIX (I don't do drugs TEEHEE) please share.

Sunshines comin your way!
    HAVE A BLOOMIN GOOD DAY!
    Love
    MOI
    PS- I will check the other post on hurting hands. Thought this needed more attention so I responded.
    Thanks to all; U R not alone
  10. JLH

JLH New Member

My hands hurt so badly and are so weak that it is hard for me to hold a glass coffee mug (or whatever they are made of!).

I have only a few lightweight plastic ones. They all are cracking from old age!

I have looked for replacement lightweight plastic mugs everywhere but can't find them.

If anyone knows where I can get some -- let me know and I will see if I can get them online.

Thanks so much,
    Janet
  11. cph13

cph13 Member

BUMP

Any help out there
  12. nonnie1967

nonnie1967 New Member

and so do my wrists. That is what got me to the doctor in the first place - that and the tingling. I thought I had carpal tunnel syndrome. (I work in accounting, and spend all day on the computer or with a pen in my hand.)

They did all the tests to rule that out...then it spread to my feet. We did tests to rule out MS, B6 deficiency, a brain tumor - you name it. Eventually, they decided it must be FMS. I had already had all of the other symptoms for virtually my whole life (migraines, IBS, fatigue, sleep problems, sensitivity to practically everything, etc.) so it made sense.

It is all I can do most days to make it through the work day. I have to get creative in planning my tasks because I just can't do things the way I used to.

I hate the thought that I may just "have to live with this" the rest of my life. I cling to the thought that we may find a treatment for this that really WORKS. But so far (admittedly, only a few months into treatment), NOTHING is helping.