My Health Is Getting So Poor, I Just Don't Know What To Do

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JLH, Aug 27, 2006.

1. JLH

JLH New Member

As you know, I've had 2 knee surgeries here recently.

The right knee should be healed. The surgeon repaired all of the damage to it, so it does feel better than it did prior to surgery, but IT STILL REALLY HURTS!

I get my stitches out of the left knee this Thursday. This knee is still in a great deal of pain. I am afaid that it's not going to get any better. It is the one that is rubbing bone on bone and really needs a total knee replacement now. I think what the doc did to it, hoping to help it, has just aggravated it! IT REALLY, REALLY HURTS!
    :(

And my poor back. It is just killing me. That pinched nerve, which is really low in my back (L4-L5-S1). The pain is so devasting, it brings me to tears in seconds.

I can't use crutches to walk with until my left knee heals. I am too heavy and the pain that it would cause my underarms and shoulders would be unbearable.

So, I'm just walking with a cane--when I have to walk.

My eldest daughter came and got me to take me to get groceries at Super Walmart. It's only a few steps from my back to our driveway, but I thought I was going to die from the agony of the pain. She dropped me off at WalMart right at the frond entrance and I only had to take a few steps to get to the electric carts and plop down in one of them.

My grandson went with us and he pushed a cart for me and got all of the stuff off the shelves for me. So, I really didn't have to do much. But after making the walk back into the house -- IT WAS TOO MUCH!! :(

I took a Lortab before we left and took one when I got back. (We left at 11:30 and got back at 5:00). I just sat and cried.

I told DH that if my knees don't heal up better than what they are now, and combined with my back pain and spasms, that I am never going to be able to leave the house again. Of course, he had told me not to go to begin with, but if I didn't, I would never get the exact stuff that I wanted. He is just NOT a good shopper!

They all carried in the bags, and then my DH put almost everything up (shock! shock!!!!) for me.

But I just don't know what I am going to do. I can barely walk. The pain is so overwhelming that I almost pass out from it. It is just undescribale. Then, I still have all of my other muscle and joint pain, and other medical problems to deal with.

I am going to see a surgeon on 9/5/06 about a gastric bypass operation. If I could lose a lot of weight quickly, that would really take a lot of pressure off of my back and legs. But then I'm having risky surgery.

I guess it doesn't matter, because if I keep up like I am, I am going to die within 5 or 10 years anyway. I don't want that. I have to live to see and enjoy a bunch of new grandchildren!!! Two of my children are newlyweds, so hopefully, there will be more grandchildren in a couple years!

I'm just unloading a burden of mine. It's almost 2:00 am now, and I'm so sleepy that I can't hold my eyes open (so a lot of this may sound wierd!), but I hate to go to bed, because I have to get up and walk the entire length of the house to get to my bedroom. And ... that is a REAL chore for me.

I hope this new surgeon will take me on as a patient ... and SOON!!!

Wish me luck!

Hugs,
    jlh (Janet)

2. Jana1

Jana1 New Member

I Feel so bad about the pain you are in! I hope you are in bed by now, and made it through the walk to get there. I am sure time will lessen the pain as healing takes place.

Jana
  3. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Honey, I am sooo sorry you are suffering like this. I wish there was a magic wand I could tap you with to restore your health.

I agree, if you are able to lose weight, it will help. Are you sure the only answer is the bypass surgery? There are new drugs that are appetite suppressants.

Also, there is a diet my husband has used for a few months called The Zone Diet where they deliver all your food.

It is the best, freshest food I have ever seen and he was never hungry. It is based on Dr. Sears 40/30/30 diet.

The Zone Diet is a national company and delivers in many areas. I don't know if they are in your area. The cost is about $39. a day, but well worth it. We are in California and they have over 2,000 clients here.

I could never replicate the diet they deliver to my husband.

If you are interested, I can give you their phone number. Bypass works but there are many health risks with it.

If you could just eat what was given to you and thats it, I would think you would lose.

I read your bio and can see you have worked so hard. You deserve better at this time in your life. Believe me, I will pray for things to get better for you.

You say you just don't know what to do, I feel like that alot. I know we all take one day at a time and if you want to start a serious diet, it will work. That is something you can do to help.

The reason I advocate The Zone where they deliver your food is it is so hard to prepare your own diet and get all the proper foods. Nearly impossible.

If you tried it for just a month, you would see what I mean.

(No, I don't work for their company, lol).

Check out the website zonedietathome - I believe they deliver the fresh diet to your area. It is the option at $39. per day. You could start it in a couple of days and be on your way to losing the weight, in a healthy way. It is so balanced, it helps your whole system.

They are a good company. Whenever there is anything my husband does not like, he calls and they never send it again. They have nutritionists and five star chefs that make the recipes/menus.

It might sound like alot of money, but it is really worth it.

They rotate through over 2,000 entrees so you do not get the same things over and over.[This Message was Edited on 08/27/2006]
  4. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Janet,
    I need to go to bed also.

I didn't realize you had posted on here when I sent you an email.

Hon, I'm so sorry you are in such pain from both of the surgeries.

I'm sorry you are suffering so much, just trying to live and go about your normal routines, like grocery shopping.

So you are going to see about the bypass surgery. I didn't know how serious you were about that.

If you want to lose weight, get GERD and end up not being able to eat at off times or you end up in terrible heartburn/chest pains, like I get. So in order to sleep, I can't eat.

I'm so very full of fluid from the Nexium that if I don't get off of it by 8/31, I think I'm going to lose my mind. Effective 9/1, my insurance doesn't cover Nexium and I'll be on Prevacid. I hope I won't have hair loss and fluid problems from that one.

My bedroom is at the other side of the house too, but I don't have knee problems like you do. I'm holding so much fluid even with Bumex, that it hurts to walk.

Well, I'm starting to get really sleepy. Take care and know I'm thinking of you and hoping everything will work out well for you.

Love & hugs,
    Faye
  5. gnanny

gnanny New Member

Janet, I feel your pain. I also have bone to bone knees with the arthritis.My ankles are bad plus my feet are deformed from the arthritis and need total reconstruction. Things that seem so simple are not when you cant walk for any distance or even stand for any length of time. Shopping, cooking, ironing, even doing my hair and makeup requires a chair.

I have been taking advantage of the online grocery shopping for the staple items and heavy stuff. The biggest perk is they carry it into the house! When I feel up to it I drag my self around the store to pick up perishables etc. then cry all the way home.

My weight keeps going up because I am not moving enough which makes me hurt more and it is a vicious circle. My doctor suggested gastric bypass. I was mortified. I was so ashamed. She told me that my joints will never be strong even after knee replacement and foot repairs. I am beginning to see this may be what I need. How many times have I lost weight only to have it creep gradually up again? too many.

I am sorry to hear your knees are still giving you so much pain. I was thinking too when someone asked me when I was going to breakdown and have the surgery....where do I start? its too overwhelming. I am sure recovery would be easier if I weighed a lot less.

Luckily I have good insurance. I could offset expenses by weather predicting with these joints! lol

Try to hang in there. I hope you get some relief for your pain and you heal quickly.
    stephanie
  6. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I was talking to a doctor friend of mibne and he said that these days surgeons are notorious about not doing proper follow ups on surgeries.

Then I read an article somewhere (maybe RD) by a surgeon who said she had to have hand surgery and chose one of the best as her hands were her living. Even a surgeon did not get good follow up. The dressing was too tight, the hand swelled the stitches burst etc and all this time the surgeon kept fobbing her off with "give it time". As a result she had to have more surgery.

Her advice to all of us is, if something hurts, even if you barge into the office and demand to be seen, do it, as it means there is a glitch in the healing process.

In fact, prior to surgery one of the most important questions is about follow up, like "will you see me on demand if I am still in pain, or something feels wrong?"

I would most certainly get right back to that surgeon and absolutely insist on an office call NOW. If they fob you off, show up there anyway as they will see you due to not wanting future clients put off.

This surgeon may just be too busy and overstressed but you are important and if they did the surgery, they need to monitor why you are feeling this way.

After all, if a carpet layer came and laid a carpet full of lumps, you would sure get them back in a hurry.

Be good to yourself and don't let it ride. Insist of rexray and blood tests just to make sure there is no infection etc.

Love Anne Cromwell and feel better
  7. ckball

ckball New Member

Hi- I am so sorry to hear your not feeling well. Give the knee a little more time.

Do you have a walker? My mother had one and it really helped her get around. She could stop in the hall and rest and lean on it then go on.

My aunt that had the knee replacement has a walker that is also a seat. She is on oxygen so hers has a basket for the bottle.

I will write you later, I am in the middle of trying to finish this bedroom before I go to PA for my dental work.

You are so blessed with your family, your grandson pushing the buggy was very sweet. Try to count your blessings and I hope your pain gets you a break. I am praying for you-Carla
  8. mrdad

mrdad New Member

You are always so good with everyone it makes me feel so
    bad that you are in such pain. Hope things will be going
    better for you soon.

Caution about By-pass as I understand it can be dangerous
    for some folks. Al Rocker ( weather man) on NBC morning
    news had it done successfully but warned of some of the
    potental dangers of the operation. I undrstand though
    why you want to consider it.

Please let others help you do things at this time and
    tolerate there errors if need be.