My health, my weight

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fwm, Jun 26, 2006.

1. fwm

fwm New Member

I am convinced I have fibro, and have had it some time, however, my longtime doctor and friend does not believe there is such an animal that can be medically diagnosed. He gives me meds to help with the pain, but that is about it. We have a new rheumatologist (sp)here for the first time. I am planning to call to see what my insurance might cover without a referral, and if all goes well I can't wait to see him. My question to the kind people on this board is: I am battling a weight gain that is ENDLESS. I can NOT lose weight. I just this weekend gave up yet another six weeks of effort on yet another program that has failed. (High protein)....Tell me - if you have this dreaded disease, does everyone experience this problem? No one can even believe that I only lost 2 pounds in six weeks and felt HORRIBLE trying to get there. Everyone thinks I'm lying, I'm cheating, but I did not. It just won't come off. Even my doctor said, well, I just don't know, that doesn't make sense. Now am I crazy.....or does this disease affect everyone that way? I need so badly to lose 30 pounds.....or at least 2 dress sizes. I think it would help my back so much, but it just WON'T come off. During the last six weeks I did not do a lot of exercise simply because I don't FEEL good enough to do exercise. If I do, it just kills my back and neck. Please tell it like it is ladies....and thanks for any input you may have!
  2. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

I think you may be on to something. Aside from my age, it is getting almost impossible for me to lose weight.

I've been going to the gym more than a month now, 3 times a week, doing cardio classes. When I leave I have sweated so much I look like someone dumped a bucket of water over me....but not one pound gone.

It's getting frustrating! I DON'T want to be overweight the rest of my life.

Wishing you the best. I hope the new rheumy can help you.

3. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

It took me an entire year to lose 10 lbs.

It has taken me VERY strict management of diet (high protein, low carbs) plus low-impact exercise.

Right now I alternate yoga and walking.

I had to give up my gym membership. My doctor told me high impact exercise and weights will make me feel worse, not better and he was right.

He (rheumatologist) suggested swimming, Pilates, yoga for exercise. I have stuck to the plan and am SLOWLY going down. I also need to be on a small dose of thyroid medication.

If you are having real trouble losing weight, have your doctor run a T7, and free T3 in addition to TSH. My TSH was normal, but my T7 and T3 ratio were ABNORMAL. A doc just running a TSH would never have known. It's called sub-clinical hypothyroidism.

Hugs,
    Madame Curie
  4. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I'm over weight by about 125 lbs .I have gained that over years but it started when I was on predizone for another problem .I put on 100 in a couple of months on that med and its never came off.

I have been bothered by my weight and tried to loose going on all kinds of diets .They do not work for me either.

This may sound weird, but I think my Fat looks different.It looks more like my skin is swollen .I also sweat really bad and I never use to do that.

I tell my husband and doctor I always feel water loged but nobody understands .I guess I'm just fat.

My husband does try to tell the doctors I do not eat alot but he just looks at us and offers nothing to help.

I have been told I can get the operation bowl banding and I do need to do something I'm just scarried .But I have to decide soon.

I just think something else is going on and if they could figure it out Id loose weight.

I have all the symtoms of a bad throid problem but in the blood work it comes back in noemal range so they will not even talk about meds for that.

I wish you well and I do understand what your going through

5. elliespad

elliespad Member

Same here. I need to lose at least 100 lbs. It piles on fast and keeps on going. Exercise is out of the question as I can't stand long enough to wash dishes. I eat a lot, but VERY healthy. I eat better and eat less, in the last 10 years than the first 38 years of my life and still the scale keeps going up. I take Thyroid, Adrenal, Progesterone, 2 forms of Estrogen, Testosterone and DHEA and NOTHING! If anything, the damn Adrenal and Estrogen is making me hold fluid! I CAN'T WIN.

I also take Tenormin 25 mg. and Doxepin 10 mg. which impairs CoQ10 and can cause weight gain.
  6. hambys97

hambys97 New Member

I had done so well and felt so proud of myself when approx. 2 years ago, I pushed myself so hard and lost 44 pounds and dropped to a size 8. I loved it. Then things got really bad again. I couldn't function. I sure couldn't exercise regularly like I was. I had Horrid cravings for the worst things. And I got really depressed, not a good combination. I have gained all my weight back plus some. I am losing hair by the handfulls. I have terrible cravings still that seem to be beyond all control. I can try my hardest, but it doesn't seem to be enough.
    I have been told that approx. 1/2 the meds make it hard to lose weight, and the others typically make you gain weight. Then they (docs) all tell me the symptoms would get better if only I would lose weight. TELL ME HOW!!!
    I am just extremely frustrated with everything right now.
  7. TxSongBird

TxSongBird New Member

virtually hopeless. I will lose a few and then gain them right back. I have had this conversation with my Dr. and he says it is probably hormonal and genetic, but that doesn't make me feel any better about this situation. I am 5'2" and currently weigh 212 and hate the way I look and feel. I have done Weight Watchers, Liquid Diet that is Dr. sponsored and everything else in the world to lose weight. I get so tired of the way I feel and having to wear size 16's on a short body is no fun at all. I have a Mother who constantly tells me I am fat and plays the fat card on me in front of total strangers, that doesn't help my self esteem either.

TxSongBird
  8. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Hi Fwm,

If I'm understanding you correctly, I think your question is if one has fibromyaliga, are they more likely to gain weight? I actually LOST weight with fibro because I was so freaked out that I would gain weight when I was dxed with it....IE, I exercised a lot more- it hurt A LOT to exercise, but then I started feeling better because my muscles FINALLY started loosening up. All of the books I read about fibromyalgia said that many people with this illness gained a lot of weight because they stopped exercising because they were in so much pain.

About 5 years ago, I was 45 to 50 pounds overweight from an awful side effect of a medication and worked really hard to get that weight off. I really didn't want to gain weight again. It's definitely hard to exercise when we hurt, but all of the books I've read about the illness and all of the docs I went to told me that exercise is the one thing that we need to do to keep the pain at bay. At first, it seems so totally bizarre and counterintuitive.

I wanted to just strangle my docs when I heard that (my whole body was in MAJOR pain!!), but I also wanted to look good and feel better, so I gradually started moving around a little and GRADUALLY BUILT UP to what is now more rigorous exercise (karate- I did this when I was in high school so I enjoy it) several times a week. If I deviate and back off from it (sometimes i have to when I get sick), the weight starts coming back on.

Meds can keep weight on too which stinks, but when it comes to moderating our weight, it's the same thing we all know: we have to exercise, eat healthy and moderate our calories. With fibromyalgia, it's more challenging to exercise, BUT, that very exercise will give you fantastic paybacks: better weight control, joint lubrication (leading to pain relief!!), and better mood!

You can start your exercise with literally 5 minutes a day, and slowly build up - the key is consistency and determination. Don't overdo it because you will hurt too much. Epsom salt baths after a workout are great! Yes, I sound like a crazed exercise nut because it has helped me feel so much better and has relieved pain and has helped with weight control. Eating healthy is key too. My best wishes to all.

Sincerely,

Erika

9. fwm

fwm New Member

Thanks to all who responded to my whining! It helps to know you are not out there alone - sometimes I think I am losing my mind! Since I've had this pain I have learned to just remain silent - everyone around me looks at me like I just like to complain. Little do they know......that's okay, I have learned to deal with it in silence. Matter of fact, sometimes I amaze myself at how quiet I've become. It is a matter of getting by. But now the weight thing has really had me baffled. Perhaps it IS my meds. Exercise really makes me miserable, so I started walking......it is so hot where I live, I gave that up.....I'm the worst exerciser around.......I just bought a Yoga tape, so I'm going to try it = I thought maybe the stretching might be good for my back, but I was unsure if Yoga really does anything for weight loss, or inch loss I should say. Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for your replies. Wishing well to all of you as we struggle through each day