My heart is broken, we lost Ellie today,

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by elliespad, Oct 3, 2006.

1. elliespad

elliespad Member

As some of you may know, I have been dealing with Acute Kidney and Liver Failure with my beautiful Shar Pei, Ellie.
    Her vet also believes she had Lymphosarcoma, as she developed hundreds of tumors on her one leg.

I have been providing loving hospice care for her for a month or more and she finally lost her battle this morning. I have been in agony for weeks, especially the last few days, knowing she should have been put down, but I couldn't do it. I was actually prepared to do it this morning and had my husband put comfy bedding in the car so we could take her, her suffering was too great. I left for 1 or 2 minutes and found her not breathing and had my husband and son come and we had quiet time with her.

She was the most beautiful, gentle spirit, never a mean word from her. She and I did nursing home visits for several years until I could no longer last the hour. She brought laughs and smiles to hundreds who met her every year at our campground in Maryland. She was somewhat of a celebrity there. She was truely a GREAT AMBASSADOR for her breed. My heart will never be the same without her. I just wish this pain would end.

My daughter often said, If Ellie could speak, she would be much like Estelle Getty, on the Golden Girls. Does't say much, but when she does, man, she cracks you up . That was her. Always acting all cool and reserved, then breaking out in a crazy Ellie act. I will miss her terribly.

Please remember my family in your prayers, we are all hurting. Thank you. and thank God for our companion animals who bring so much love and joy to our lives.
  2. louiesgirl2

louiesgirl2 New Member

I am so sorry for your loss. They are, and I know people will hate to hear this, like our children. Everytime I lose one of my animals, and I have many, it is just so sad. They each have their own personalities.

Prayers that God will help you through this time of sadness.
  3. Fredericka

Fredericka New Member

I hope you will find comfort in all the memories of good things you shared with her.

Take good care of yourself during this difficult time, ok?
  4. ckball

ckball New Member

I am sorry for your lose. I lost my 15 year old kitty in March this year. It does get easier, but I still expect him to come into a room with his little talk. He was a very verbal kitty.

Just remember the good times and the joy she brought to others, she served her purpose well in her life. Now she is no longer suffering and is your angel now. Carla
  5. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I am so sorry about Ellie. She sounds like a wonderful pet and she helped so many others! You need to grieve but I hope you will be comforted by the great times you had with her.

Kathy
  6. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I know there is really nothing that can be said to make your sadness go away. I too am so attached to my pets, it is heartbreaking when they leave us.

Ellie was so lucky to have you and your family to love her. And you were indeed lucky to have had her in your lives. Take care.

xxxooo Hermit
  7. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

I awoke this morning thinking of Ellie and was going to post a 'hello' to see how things were going and then to see your post just now...My heart aches :(

Words aren't coming easy for me to say how truly sorry I am for the loss of Ellie in your lives...

I can tell you that everyday it will get easier, but for me it was the opposite, it got harder to live without Moose everyday...

We all know how much Ellie was loved and in turn how much she loved being in your family...

Some of us are fortunate in that we know we have been blessed by the most lovable of all, our truly beloved canines...To share our lives with them and in turn, receive the forever unconditional love, is the greatest gift and to say goodbye can be the most painful experience...

You and your family have been blessed with Ellie's presence in your lives and she will forever be remembered in your hearts~the greatest tribute to a much loved Shar Pei named Ellie....

I'm so sorry...

Thinking of you and yours~Alicia

8. sisland

sisland New Member

What a Beautiful soul she was and now is in Heavan!! I'm Praying for your Comfort! I Know your pain all to well as i Have just gone through this with my little Dazee May!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Rainbow Bridge,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sydney
  9. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost a very dear cat last Christmas and I still miss her. I love all my furry kids but some are extra special and Ellie sounds as though she was one of those.

Try to remember the good times and know that you did all you could for her.

Shar
  10. bana2

bana2 New Member

HI sweetheart. My arms are around you. We lost our "little man" (chiawawa)last year about this time when he got out of the fence and a neighbors dog jumped on him we came home to find him dead outside the fence.We were very attached me and my daughter cried for 3 days and then I wass bent on never getting another. My dad knew have much I was suffering and he decided to take it in his own hands and came on my birthday(Christmas Eve) with another. Holly. It was a long time before we bonded but know she is the light of the whole families life. She brings us so much joy. So as hard as it is (and don't try to replace the other)try to get a new friend to fill the "void". Lots of Love bana2
  11. dahopper

dahopper New Member

I am so sorry and know your pain all too well. I lost my Little girl Yorkie this July 2 days after my Birthday and she would of been 14 years old in a couple of days. I know it hurts so bad and when you lay down in bed at night your mind will go crazy for awhile now. It does hurt but I promise you it does get better. I made a memorial for her in our Mud Room where she liked to sleep and she is always there when I go in there and I still tell her goodnight all the time there. I also bought a CD called "So Hard To Say Good-bye" by Shelly Guidotti. It is so beautiful and so true. This is a few lines of the CD.

I Had to say good-bye today
    To the dearest friend I've known
    And no one understands like me
    Why my heart feels so alone
    By my side to comfort me
    When I wasn't at my best
    You even loved me when I'd shout
    Stop being such a pest
    I won't forget the games we palyed
    Or your favorite place to sleep
    The hardest part will be coming home
    And you not there at my feet
    Everday that precious face
    Filled my world with gentle love
    Now you're with the
    Angels up above
    (Still) Its so hard to say good-bye
    Like my shadow I could count on
    You to be there
    So don't mind the tears that I cry
    It may take a little while to
    Remember you and smile
    It's the selfish part of me that wants
    You right here back with me
    Yes right here by my side
    It's so hard to say good-bye
    There will be days I know
    As I learn to let you go
    The rain in my heart'll feel like a river
    Then like a soft gentle wind
    From the warmth of a friend
    Instead of tears I'll remember
    You and smile

OK I gave you the whole Chorus...It is just too comforting and I felt you needed that.
    The pain will lesson but your heart will always remain with the inprint of her sole left by a big empty space.
    I will pray for you and your family and hope you will be able to mend soon knowing you did your best. I gave my Yorkie Angel breathing treatments twice a day for three months before she lost her battle. The day she passed on she was fighting for a breath and no amout of treatments would help her then so I knew I had to let her go. She left a hole in my heart that no one will ever fill.
    Rest in peace little Ellie. Love Debbie
  12. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

What a beautiful tribute to your darling dog. I am weeping here. How sad, but I am glad she died naturally in the end. I believe dogs like Ellie are angels sent from heaven.

Blessings and love

Anne
  13. victoria

victoria New Member

All my sympathies, Elliespad!

I know how hard it is at first, and hope the loss will turn into sweet memories soon for you all. I have been blessed to have several special dogs over the years, and have such wonderful memories of them and the fun and love they brought into our lives. . . they all have permanent places in our hearts.

all the best,
    Victoria

14. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

So very sorry you lost your prescious pup today. She was a blessing not only to you but to all the people whose life she touched.

This always comforts me when I think of losing my pets, it makes me cry, but it makes me feel better at the same time.

"Rainbow Bridge"

" Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together.... "

Author unknown...

Hugzz
    Greenbean and Rey

Stop and smell the puppies!
  15. ksp56

ksp56 Member

When pets die, it seems as if we've lost one of the best parts of ourselves. For me at least. They are the most true and loving, friends we will have.

I am sorry about Ellie. I thank God for allowing us to be a part of our pets lives.

Gentle Hugs,

Kim
  16. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

for your loss. Pets are wonderful. It's just so sad when they leave us.
  17. splooofy

splooofy New Member

I am so sorry to hear about your sweet Ellie. I have 5 dogs myself and I often think what I would ever do if I ever lost one. You were so blessed to have her in your life. Hold onto the good memories.

lovingly Splooofy
  18. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

My heart and prayers go out to you and your family.

Love, Mikie
  19. Luxuria

Luxuria New Member

So sorry for your loss, I truly am. *hugs* to you and your family.

Bekah
  20. cindysewstoo

cindysewstoo New Member

I'm so very sorry for your loss. Just this past February I had to say goodbye to my best little furry friend after loving her for nearly 18 years. I used to tease my husband that I had been sleeping with my dog Booboo longer than I'd been sleeping with him! It was the hardest decision I've ever made, and I pray I'll never have to do it again. I'm so glad God spared you having to go through that - even tho the loss is still great. Know that I'm praying for you, but your sweet little one isn't in pain any longer, and will happily meet you at the gates one day.