My house is buggy--need ideas to get rid of them

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Beadlady, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

And I am keep getting bit. :(

Any ideas for no chemical help or very low chemical use?

Also have a dog and downstairs neighbors have a cat.

I know its more than just fleas

Any help would be appreciated.
  2. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

covered quite a few possible solutions. I really hope you don't have bird mites.....they sound really bad. Cheers, your mr bill

Maybe try an environmental extreme: Heat up a room to 110F for a few days with a humidifier (or a dehumidifier).
    Whether to place the dog and cat in the room is, of course, your personal moral choice and may depend on just how bad your coping mechanisms and the buggy bites are:)

(Sorry, I just couldn't help making the suggestions,or stop lol)

[This Message was Edited on 06/27/2009]
  3. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

They are thriving these days! If you have bedbugs, you'd do well to go to a bedbug site and probably to use permethrins (sp?) which are chemicals but...

If they are not bedbugs... oh dear...

Are they big enough to see? What do you feel? Do they bite at any particular time? Do they leave welts or other marks? Can you feel a bite? What does it feel like? Does it leave a welt right away? How itchy are the welts? How long does the itching last? Do you notice any correlation between activity and weather?

I got an infestation of something last spring and we are still battling it. We thought bird mites as first because there is so much on the internet about them - we're not so sure now. We're not so sure that anyone "with birdmites" actually has birdmites. (It's kinda like is FM really Lyme? Like we needed more uncertaintly in our lives!)

We are being bitten by something microscopic and multitudinous! We have also managed to spread it to four households now. We have used all legal pesticides and every OTC method known to humanity. Let us just hope you do not have this!

MrBill is right, heating up the room in excess of 120 can be helpful. An arid environment seems hostile to what we have. BUT, my apt. gets extraordinarily dry in the winter and there was absolutely no activity - NONE - for months until spring and then: >@< >@< >@< >@<
    they're supposed to look like bugs :eek:)

Good luck! I really hope you have bedbugs!

Those I words I never thought I'd write to anyone, ever!

peace out

ETA there are companies which will heat your house but it's very expensive and they can't guarantee that plastic won't melt.

If you notice more activity before or during raid, DEHUMIDIFY!!!

Some non chemical things you can try - which have not worked for us, but do work if you have the right bug:

diatamaceous earth - food grade, preferally, but don't let the pets inhale it which is tricky

Tea tree oil in rubbing alcohol helps with some kinds of infestations

Texas Cedar Oil is very effective with some

Neem Oil is also very effective with some critters

Some find menthol crystals in diffusers helpful. Shampoos with menthol can help if you feel buggie as most bugs don't like mint. Listerine has two ingredients known to repel many insects. Listerine with one of the oils in it can be a useful repellent but it's hard on the skin.

All the oils are very aromatic and would be problematic for some. They don't bother me.

Oh,, we also used Eucalyptus which didn't kill the bugs but everything smelled so fresh!

Borax in laundry and bagging clothes you've worn as soon as you take them off helps some - did nothing for us. Also, high dryer setting.

So far none of this has helped us and we have four households so it's easy to compare and contrast methods.

Cleaning with Windex with ammonia helps some - not us. Xtreem Cleen product helps some - not us.

There's more, so much more, but you may have some easily eradicated little beast so I'll leave it there for now.

Eyes crossed for you!

[This Message was Edited on 06/27/2009]
  4. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

The itching duration depends how soon I get something on them to help with that.

Here lately I've been using carmex as soon as I feel a bite.