My hubby wants hardwood floors...would it hurt?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by baanders, Sep 20, 2006.

1. baanders

baanders New Member

The hardwood floors would be more attractive. I am concerned that with FM, it would jolt my joints, as opposed to having carpets. He says it would be easier to clean up after our 2 labs. He is very gracious and is ultimately concerned about how I feel. Any suggestions?

Thanks and God bless you.
    baanders
  2. MoonChild611

MoonChild611 New Member

I think you would actually benefit from hardwood flooring because it will cut down on allergens, and it's easier to clean. =)

Just my opinion
    Moonie
  3. mrsED

mrsED New Member

I have just moved to a new home with carpeting instead of hardwood floors. I didn't realize how "hard" that hardwood floor was on my back. I have FM and disc disease.
    I do believe the the carpeting helps.

MrsEd
  4. lease79

lease79 New Member

When our house was damaged in June & we had to rip up most the carpet we were given the option of having the boards cleaned up, or re-laying carpet.
    I love the look of boards, but I just couldn't have them in my house. IMO they make the place too cold & I just can't cope with walking on them with bare feet :x
    So we re-laid carpet.
    That's just my person opinion though...
  5. Alyndra

Alyndra New Member

I had carpet in my bedroom, and I'm 100% happier after putting in hardwood floors. I put in the laminate click flooring, I can't say I remember exactly what thickness - but I know it was somewhere inbetween the middle to high-end quality. (Probably closer to middle, I got it at Costco)

Comfort wise, it's still pretty decent. It doesn't give the 'walking on cement' feeling you'd imagine from a solid floor. It's still quite cushy. But the best parts, is my allergy's have been substantially better, and keeping it clean takes less then a tenth of what the carpet took!

Now, I also have carpet, ceramic tile, and vinyl flooring in my house - but it's my hardwood I wouldn't trade for anything.

~Amanda

6. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

has hardwood floors in his entire house. They look great, but it means his wife has to sweep every day or they look grungy.

I would not want hardwood floors. Too hard, too cold, and too hard to keep clean.

JMHO!

God Bless.
  7. elliespad

elliespad Member

Well, funny you should ask. I just had this discussion with my husband last week. My husband put down Bruce wood floors in our livingroom, kitchen and hallway last year. It IS very pretty. BUT,,,I immediately found it hard to walk on. My hips and legs are VERY week, and the floors are really very slick. It is almost like walking on an icy walkway, I have to use too much muscle tension to keep from sliding, and wearing socks on the floor is even worse. I find I am wearing my CROCS flipflops constandly so I can stand. It is also much colder that carpeting. He would like to put down wood floors in the bedroom now too. I say NO WAY!

If I were buying/building a new house now, I would go back to carpeting in the livingroom and maybe heated tile or just vinyl in kitchen.
  8. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

I love how pretty they look and it makes the house look so much neater...but...

It's really hard to walk on. I've noticed that lately, and when mum pulled up the runner rug for cleaning, I almost didn't make it across the living room.

So, really, it's what you want, lol. In my case it's walk, or pretty. Not my house at the moment so I must deal, but those are my two cents ;)
  9. ephemera

ephemera New Member

A neighbor just put in a new bamboo flooring & it is very easy to walk on & of course really environmentally friendly.

I never would have known what it was as it looked like tile.

Guess there are lots of possibilities.
  10. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

carpet is bad for your health and curtains...dust mites...

floors can look nice everyday..no heavey vaccuum to push around...

nice little swifter is what i use,,,i wished i had them all over in my apt...

love love hardwood floors..easy clean up after spills...

jodie