my job makes it hard to drink water

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by karenq, Jun 10, 2003.

1. karenq

karenq New Member

I am a teacher and I find that I am so busy teaching during the day that I usually forget to drink my water even when I have a big glass sitting right in front of me. Also, I teach kindergartners and really cannot leave them alone to go to the bathroom. I have an assistant for part of the day and try to schedule all potty breaks when she's there, but I'm afraid if I start drinking a lot of water I will have to go more often. But I know I need to drink the water...

Anybody else have problems like this? Suggestions?

Karen
  2. kar1953

kar1953 New Member

Hi Karen!

I can relate to what you're saying. I drive school bus. In the mornings I have a break in between routes, but in the afternoon, when I get in the bus at 2:00 I don't get out until about 4:30 when I get home. So I drink nothing after 11am. & then I take a qt. of water with me & try to drink it all while I'm on the bus - and no body better get in my way when I get home! :)

The only advise I have is try to drink as much as you can after you get home in the afternoon. The problem I have with this is getting up a couple of times a night! But, at least I'm getting some water, not 8 glasses, but better than I used to.

Right now I drink, drink, & drink since it's summer break. Sometimes I drink lemon water for a change. I do get tired of plain water.

Hope this helps a little. Maybe someone else will have a better idea.

Take care.......Kathi
  3. Jen F

Jen F New Member

Though I don't have any helpful hints...

I worked as a receptionist at an isolated front desk. I needed to drink a lot of water AND I had an irritable bladder, not to mention frequent constipation.

Anytime I left the desk, I would have to get someone to cover me, so going to the washroom every hour did not work out very well...

I did find out from the Human Rights Commission here in Canada that I did have the right to serve my essential needs such as going to the bathroom.

I hope you find an easy solution, I know it can be a little challenging.
  4. layinglow

layinglow New Member

There are water bottles that you can wear like a fanny pack, only on your hip or front. Wear one, and sip----if asked by the school or students say you health requires it.
    Best wishes,
    LL