My juicer is scarey

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by IntuneJune, Apr 23, 2006.

1. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

Bought the thing Friday.

Read through the instructions.

Now, never have been in the room with a juicer before.

Instructions said, "turn juicer on, then put your vegetables and fruits in"

I flipped the switch...............

then grabbed the counter..............

geezzzz...............................

it was like being on a runway with a 747.

looked around to see if the rest of my kitchen was still in place..................

I was TERRIFIED to place my pear in the darn thing.

It took courage, but finally got up enough nerve, it cut through that pear like a hungry sawmill.

The recommendations on buying a juice was a strong motor...guess I got one.

Bring your veggies over EVERYONE, we can go to town.

Fondly,
    June

PS How long does juicer-timidness last??????
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

You must never operate it when you've been drinking!
  3. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

While listening to it power down after I turn it off, a flight attendant's voice comes to mind, having reminded us not to take our seat belts off until we arrived at the gait.

I juiced just about everything in the refrigerator.

Tomorrow is food shopping day, my husband does the food shopping, he has a LONG list of veggies and non-citrus fruits. I am going easy on the fruits.

I am hoping I can make this a daily habit.....I tend to start things and then not continue because I forget.

June
  4. elastigirl

elastigirl New Member

OMG, I just about woke up my son laughing at this :)!!
  5. findmind

findmind New Member

So, so funny! Great description!

Have thought of getting one; what brand did you get?

Suggestion: earplugs!!! You know, our delicate nervous systems 'n all...LOL

findmind
  6. lease79

lease79 New Member

My juicer is SOOOOOOOO loud. It brings children from all four corners of the house to watch in awe LOL!
  7. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

maybe it's a guy thing but i got a breville juicer a couple weeks ago and i love the power; the louder the better, bring it on!! :)) seriously though, i've nver been more excited about a machine. i clean it thoroughly after every use. i love it. i'm already wondering what i'm going to do when i travel. juicer separation anxiety!!!

btw, the juice is delicious. i've never been one to drink vegetable juice. i can't stand v-8. too much tomato in that stuff or something. but yesterday i juiced some organic carrots, a beet, an apple, celery stalk, some wheatgrass and a handful of parsley and it was terrific. i highly recommend taking the plunge to anyone who's been considering the jucing lifestyle. perhaps us sick folks can be role models for a better lifestyle across the land?!

eddie
  8. lease79

lease79 New Member

~*QUOTE*~
  9. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

lease, maybe you're right and it is the salt in v8. it's really high in sodium? i'm with you, v8 is terrible, awful stuff. it's a shame that so many americans associate vegetable juice with V8. we should all share juicing recipes?! here's one of my immune support favorites. it's called AAA Juice from jay kordich, the juiceman:

3 carrots
    1 stalk of celery
    1 apple
    1/2 beet with the greens (i use a whole beet)
    1/2 handful of wheatgrass
    1/2 handful of parsley
  10. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

You guys are too funny!

I don't have a juicer, but I can just imagine my lab's reaction to one!

Now a hunting dog is not supposed to be afraid of loud noises. She goes and hides when I run the blender and is terrified of the vacuum (my golden retriever gets in the way of the vacuum because he wants me to vacuum him!)

She hunts and the gun doesn't bother her, but she doesn't like those household appliances!

She also doesn't like the water from a hose, sprinkler, or in the tub! She will dive into any lake, pond, or river, but is scared of the hose and stuff.

Strange dog! But I can just see her diving for cover when that 747 juicer comes in for a landing!

Hugzz
    Greenbean
  11. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

ROCKGOR, I promise NEVER to operate my juicer if I have been drinking.

Maybe I should undergo a sobriety test just to be sure the FibroFog isn't "too" dense.

FINDMIND: I bought a breville (eddie posted he has one also). About those earplugs, what might be a good idea, may backfire, I picture them burrowing down my ear canal to get away from the vooorrruummmm of the motor or popping out and running away, but NOT staying put.

WAMPS: Sorry, you are going to have to cover your eyes on the juicing posts. I feel your PAIN, I have a hard time with the word chocolate, and now just might need reviving having typed the word..... maybe I'll turn the juicer on, it will wake the dead.

Fondly, June

[This Message was Edited on 04/26/2006]
  12. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

EDDIE: "Maybe this is a guy thing" made me wonder if there are more successful male juicers than female juicers, not that I want to get into a sexist discussion here.

Do you were protective eye wear while juicing? This whole process could be compared saw-milling, yes?????

How long have you had your Breville, I had never heard of the company before. When I was passing through the household department, I noticed the juicer's wide chute, having read the juicing book more than a year ago and doing nothing about it, I tried to remember - besides the chute what other features a good juicer should have and only remembered a strong motor. Well, that I have.

Please post more juicing recipes you like. Thanks!

LEASE79, I read your V8 post to my husband who LOVES V8 juice and just about the only juice he drinks. He just could not understand you!!! (don't take offense, he does not understand me either) "She's right about the sodium" I said, but he went back to his book.... He does not eat a lot of vegetables and thinks V8 is compensating for that!!!

I hope juicing wins him over, it would be nice to share the task.

Fondly, June

[This Message was Edited on 04/26/2006]
  13. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

I tried to read your post outloud to my husband and could not get the words out I was laughing so hard.

If you ever get that tractor seat rigged and working well, get a patent, send us the instructions..multi-tasking at its best!

Still laughing, June
  14. babycakes01

babycakes01 New Member

I love to add apples to my creations. Apples are a great natural sweetener. Also if I don't have the energy to do the juicing myself I buy Bolthouse Farms all natural smoothies. They have fruit and vegetable and are so yummy. I get them from Giant.
  15. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

i've had my breville for a couple months now. anytime i make a purchase these days, i visit amazon to read the reviews on the product and everyone seemed to love their breville. i paid around $100 with free shipping and had a coupon code for $20 i think. most important features are the size of the motor, yes, but as you've noticed the chute is great on the breville too. i drop whole apples into the thing, skin and all, and it annihalates them. VROOOOOM! :)
    the less chopping and stuff you have to do, the better. though you have still have to peel the more tough-skinned fruits like orange and kiwi. the other important feature is ease of cleaning and the breville is great like that too. there's no hidden parts or anything to miss.

i hope you can get your husband off that v8 ..blech! ;)

eddie
  16. Steviegal

Steviegal Member

I bought a Jack LaLanne juicer about 2 years ago and I can tell you they're ALOT quieter than some of the juicers I've heard. The Infomercials are right about it getting a lot of juice out of stuff. I make juice (like carrot, beet, apple) then save the pulp and mix a little with my Golden Retriever's food each day. She has an awesome, shiny coat that even the vet comments on.....

One note: The easiest way to clean the thing inside filter screen......Scrape as much as you can off of it on the inside with a rubber spatula. Then use a toothbrush on the opposite side, 'brushing' with it as you wash it under the faucet water.
  17. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

Glad you brought it up, Pulp.

I was going to start a separate post asking what folks did with the pulp?

There pulp still has a lot of nutrients, I was thinking of starting a compost.

It had not occurred to me to give some our dog. What a good idea....

I am going to start a separate post on this, thanks!

June

18. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Well, since you asked, here are some things you can do with the pulp.

Make a lot of carrot cakes.

Spread it out on whatever you got: newspapers, tarpaulin, plastic sheets, wading pool, etc. When dry, put it in garbage bags and sell at yard sales as "garden mulch".

Make furniture. Mold the residue into the appropriate shape. You might use a couple pizza boxes as seat cushions. Let dry. Wrap the entire package in duct tape. Very sturdy. Will not rust or corrode. (Do not place near hot oven or water heater.)

Make Halloween costumes. Spray paint the residue. W/ Elemer's Glue attach it to plastic garbage bags. When dry, attach the bags to the delighted children. Here again, duct tape is mother's little helper. Or string, dental floss, whatever you can find around the house. Your children will have something good for Show and Tell next day.

Save on heating bills. Insulate your house. Drill holes in the wall about the size of tennis balls. Use the dried pulp to fill the space. This family project will encourage that feeling of togetherness so often lacking in the modern home.
    Just an hour or two a day and the entire project should be completed within only a few months.

No,no. Don't thank me. Only too happy to help.
  19. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

will a blender or a smoothie maker work as well? Some of these recipes sound scrumptious!

Thanks.

God Bless.
  20. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member