My knee clicks when I walk and bend it.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rosemarie, Jul 3, 2008.

1. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

In the past few months my right knee has gotten really painful. I have a hard time going up and down the stairs as it is so painfull. It is really annoying to hear this clicking noiise when I walk and bend my knee. I have had to use my cane daily even at home in the house so that I can walk after I have laid down.

This is extrememly painful and I am not ready to have the surgery I need to fix the problem.

I am going to start deep end water arobics this next week, we have class's every night M:class starts at 8:30 pm . Tuesday thru-Friday class is from 9:30 pm tp 10:30 pm.
    Being in the deep end of the pool has helped me in the past as I can do some exercises for my knee but not put any weight on it. I will ask my ortho before signing up for hte class to get his OK.

This is so depressing as I am not ready to have my knee's replaced at my age {52 yrs} so I have been walking standing up straight , I don't over do it going up or down stairs, I try to walk a bit to keep my knee from going stiff and painfull.

I feel so old or at least my knee's do. I had a ortho tell me that my knee's were older than the rest of my body over 28 yrs ago. So I have 90 yr old knee's and a 55 yrs old back, I wish I would age at the same rate and time.

I don't know what else to do this pain is getting worse and feels like muy knee cap is popping off each time I go up and down the steps and it is really painfull. The click hurts so badly and I would give any thing for my knee to feel normal IF there is such a thing.

I have a good ortho and have been told that me that I need my knees replaced soon. I am not in any hurry as of yet. I want to be able to stablllize them till I can get on medicare and and get my insurance to pay . I am scared of having another surgery only to have it not work right or will need more at a later date.
    I am so sick of being in pain all the time and ingnoring it does not make it leave and soo
  2. Kat5

Kat5 New Member

I have the same clicking and pain in my knees, my ortho. diagnosed my with chondomyalsia (sp?), I had surgery on my right knee in February, they cut a tendon that was too tight on one side causing my patella to rub and grind into the bone, it was done orthscopicly (again sp?) and seemed to help, I still have pain in the knee, but no clicking, my ortho. said I have arthritus in my knees and I had cortizone injections in both knees today, I have been up all night with a headache and sore knees, but am hopeful I will feel better tomorrow. Now my left knee is clicking and having a lot of pain (especially going up and down my stairs) and he said, you guessed it, I need the surgery on this knee. He said it is a common problem and part of why my right knee is hurting is because my body is compensating for my left knee. I just don't know. I suppose I will go ahead and have the surgery on the left, but I might get a second opionion first. I am 48 years old and feel old before my time. Just wanted to be sure you don't have what I have and maybe can hold off on the knee replacement for awhile???? Good luck !
  3. jenbooks13

jenbooks13 New Member

You should get an MRI to see what's going on. You can repair it.
  4. ladybird1

ladybird1 New Member

I have this same problem...goes and comes.
    When to orthopedist, he said I probably have some cartilage that floats around. I was scheduled for arthroscopic surgery to clean it out, but ran into insurance issues (my doctor was covered, but not the clinic he started? go figure!!)
  5. texangal81

texangal81 New Member

From Wikipedia - Crepitus is a medical term to describe the grating, crackling or popping sounds and sensations experienced under the skin and joints. The sound can be created when two rough surfaces in the human body come into contact - for example, in osteoarthritis when the cartilage around joints has eroded away and the joint ends grind against one another, or when the fracture surfaces of two broken bones rub together.

My knees have done the same thing, mainly my left knee. I've had corisone shots in them when the pain is making it hard to walk or kneel, etc. However, this was before I had the FM dx. So the pain I was feeling (and where I got the injection) is the same area that hurts during a tender point test.

I can't tell from your post if you don't have insurance but my dad had his knees replaced when he was 62 after YEARS and years of excruciating pain and after he had it done, he wondered why he waited all those years. He's had great success, although he did have to have one knee "recemented" which was a relatively simple process that medicare/insurance paid for.

If you are solely concerned about the surgery itself (and not how to get it paid for) my understanding is that most people have a lot of great results and are finally pain free. I sympathize because I have my dads knees and I imagine my God-given ones won't be following me into the grave......
  6. ulala

ulala New Member

I started having the clicking after buying a mini trampoline/rebounder. I love bouncing on it but it's set my knee pain off.

I went to my ortho surgeon and I also just started water therapy. It definitely helps.

Another thing that really helps, that I read about on this site is a new adit inflammatory called Limbrel. It's made for the Clinical/Dietary Management of Osteoarthritis. It's prescription and I think it's plant based. Unfortunately my insurance doesn't pay for it, but my doc gave me several boxes of samples. It really helps with the pain and the clicking. I can now go down the sitars without the clicking.

I, too need surgery and want to put it off for as long as possible. In the near future they'll be able to remove stem cells from the knee, grow cartilage and put it back in the knee. If I can hold off for that I'm will.

If you can get some Limbrel give it a try. It comes in 250 mgs. and 500 mgs.

Good luck and best wishes!
  7. jenbooks13

jenbooks13 New Member

Not only that, at Univ of Missouri they used something from the pig intestine that is already widely used in medicine, to inject into the knee. This gave torn cartilage the scaffold and blood vessels to repair itself. I'm not sure if this would work on cartilage worn away after years of use but this is being tested in humans now. I suppose it won't be widely available for a few years, tho. I am interested in all this because I think I may have torn my meniscus or a ligament and I need an MRI myself.
  8. cathugs

cathugs New Member

I just turned 61 yrs old. I have had both my knees totally
    The rt. one was replaced in Nov,2006. The left one was done in Sept 07.

This was the best decision I could have made.
    My knees were scrubbing bone on bone, and I had to almost
    crawl up my stairs. (split level house).

My knees are not totally without pain because of the fibro,
    the muscles stay sore to the touch, but I can walk without
    screaming pain and do not have a limp at all.

The thing I would be most concerned about is waiting too long, because there will be more damage the longer you put it off. This can sometimes cause the dr. to have to do
    more extensive repairs.

I had to have my left shoulder totally replaced in
    1999. I put it off so long that I ended up with necrosis.

The shoulder ball fell down and cut off the blood
    supply causing the area to start dying.

My Dr. said that when he cut into the shoulder that the bones were crumbling.

However, I have had this titanium ball and stem for almost 9 yrs. and can lift and carry normally.

I have complete use of the arm and shoulder, but it took a lot of hard work and a lot of PT. to get where I am to day.

But Rose these are just my experiences and opinions.
    You will have to decide what is best for you.

But I can feel your pain and it is no "bed of roses"

And you do need all the insurance you can get.

I and my ins. have about 150,000.00 invested in my two
    knees and shoulder.

Any way, best wishes on what ever you decide.

Hugs, from (((cathugs)))
  9. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I can't afford to have any surgery done to fix my knee's either arthoscopy or knee replacements. So I am just walking more gently use my cane daily, I am starting a deep end water aroebic class monday. I hope that it will help me to get stronger and to have the pain ease.
    Thanks for all the suggestions you have given to me.
    I qualify for medicare in a few months and have to get it all worked out before I can have any surgery. I am so confused with all the medicare choices I have but that is a totally different topic.
    AGain thanks for all your thougts for me. I don't do well with steriod injections as they only burn and the pain of the injection hurts to bad and it never gets any better just stays at a higher pain level after the shot. SO I don't get them any more.

Thanks for your concern for me. I really appericate it your help.