My leg just gave out and I'm not in a flare

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kat211, Oct 3, 2010.

1. kat211

kat211 New Member

I have been doing very well for the past 6 weeks or so, at least as far as my fibro pain goes. I have had moments here and there were I have hurt, but nothing that has had me bed ridden as it has in the past. I was just standing at the kitchen sink peeling a cucumber and my left leg, from the knee down, suddenly had extreme pain and buckled under me. I grabbed the stove handle and was able to catch myself and didn't fall to the ground, but now my left leg, all the way to the hip, is throbbing with a new never felt before pain. It feels like my usual fibro pain with lighting bolts of pain intermingled with the feeling of being stabbed w/an ice pick. The rest of my body has had a fibro pain ranging b/w 4-6 today and yesterday, which is a spike from the average 0-4 that I have been having since my med changes. I think a great deal of my full body spike is from sitting in front of the computer working on school work for the past 2 days and sitting for 2 hours on hard bleachers watching my son's karate yesterday.

Any idea what this is or how to alleviate it? Has anyone else ever felt this?
  2. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

This happens to me and it did to my now ex. I think it is part of our illness. I think I am going to break down and buy a pretty cane.
  3. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

that happens to me all the time. Both the collapsing leg problem and the ache being augmented by the stabbing pain. I've just been assuming it's part of the fibro.

I've found the leg symptoms to get worse the more I've used the leg.Sound like it may be like that for you too. (And I'm so sorry to hear it.)

What to do? That's tough and I hope some other members will chime in here with suggestions for you...My first line of defense is to get of my feet as soon as possible l(in hopes it will be less severe or for a shorter time-frame then. Since this doesn't often work, I have a prescription muscle relaxer and my rheumie says I can use as seeded.

And There's also tylemol, which I admit I frequently use.

Best wishes,
  4. luvdogs

luvdogs New Member

have now been dxed with Lyme disease. Have you been tested for Lyme, preferably by a Lyme literate doctor? It could be Fibro. or CFS too. I once got out of bed, and my legs just collapsed under me for no reason. I fell, and even my dog was concerned, but I was fine. Sudden stabbing pains are typical for all three of these illnesses as well. Just notice your symptoms, and be aware. You might consider getting tested for MS as well.