My legs are posessed!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hdparadis, Jun 2, 2009.

1. hdparadis

hdparadis New Member

I get this strange feeling, almost painful, in my legs and I have to move them. I can fight it for a little while but then the "twitch" is even worse. When I try to relax or go to sleep they seem to get a mind of their own. Twitching, jumping, creepy crawly sensations. Keeps me up because I can't keep them still. Wake up feeling like I've run a marathon in my sleep. The charlie horse cramps are killer! Brings tears to my eyes and the muscle hurts for hours after the cramp relaxes almost like it's bruised. Anyone have an idea what it could be? I'm leaning towards RLS but I'm not 100%.
  2. butterflydream

butterflydream New Member

sound alot like RLS.

Have you described all this to your doc ?

Be Well
    Butterflydream
  3. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

That's exactly how my legs feel sometims. I HAVE to move them sometimes, it's a 'must' sensation. You actually described it very well.
    I would definitely tell your Dr. exactly what you said here.

I would get cramps in my calves and also my feet - many times I would get up, you have to cry or scream cause the charlie horses are so bad and they're darn hard to get rid of!

My arms now jump etc.

How often does this happen? My original doc that I told this to, asked me how many times a month - that would indicate if I needed meds for it. I don't know if that still holds true. I don't take any RLS meds, but your Dr. may suggest something for you.
  4. faithinlove

faithinlove New Member

I go through the exact same thing especially when I start to try to relax in the chair or go to bed at night. It is like my legs do have a life of their own.
    They just get awful cramps in them but most of the time they will just start jerking some.
    I hate this it does scare me sometimes.
    I also get the crawling sensations but most of the time just involuntary muscle movements in my legs and sometimes in my arms.
    I just do not have any control over it.
    I have not talked to my rheumy about it because I am scared at times what if it something neurological?
    The episodes with me do not happen every night but at least weekly and I believe even more than that.
    I always try to ignore it but it is really hard!
    I just hope we all get better sooner than later.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/02/2009]
  5. faithinlove

faithinlove New Member

I go through the exact same thing especially when I start to try to relax in the chair or go to bed at night. It is like my legs do have a life of their own.
    They just get awful cramps in them but most of the time they will just start jerking some.
    I hate this it does scare me sometimes.
    I also get the crawling sensations but most of the time just involuntary muscle movements in my legs and sometimes in my arms.
    I just do not have any control over it.
    I have not talked to my rheumy about it because I am scared at times what if it something neurological?
    The episodes with me do not happen every night but at least weekly and I believe even more than that.\
    I always try to ignore it but it is really hard!
    I just hope we all get better sooner than later.
  6. hdparadis

hdparadis New Member

to hold out until my Dr's appointment on Monday but this is driving me crazy! I used to get these twitches every once in a while but now it's every day. Not just at night either, I get them any time I sit for more than 15-20 minutes. Then names they give these issues sound so benign, Restless Leg Syndrome, doesn't describe the way it really feels at all. I was about in tears last night, my legs hurt so bad that all I want is to lay down but when I lay down I get these awful sensations that are painful in their own way. Like the old saying goes: D#@*d if you do, D#@*d if you don't.
    Heather
  7. LadyCarol

LadyCarol Member

A lack of salt in the diet can cause muscle cramps.
    Also Quinine water is good for cramp.

I know someone who had cramp which kept them awake at night or would wake them up. They took some salt and drank some Quinine water and after that no more cramping and they slept throughout the night without any muscular pain.

8. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

It does sound like RLS. I have the twitching , jumping sensations too in my legs too and sometimes I get them in my arms when I'm trying to fall asleep.

I also get the charlie horse cramps in my leg and sometimes in one of my toes~ the pain in those is awful!

One time I was driving and I got a charlie horse in one of my toes on my right foot~ talk about awful!

Mine doesn't happen every night so I'm not on any meds for mine. I do take a daily vitamin to try to help with any deficiency that might cause it.

It sounds lke you need some relief from yours~ I'd tell your doctor what you told us .

Hope you get some relief soon, keep us posted.

gentle hugs, Susan
    [This Message was Edited on 06/03/2009]
    [This Message was Edited on 06/03/2009]
  9. hdparadis

hdparadis New Member

Thanks to everyone for their input. At least now I have some idea of what I'm dealing with.

Pansygirl:Yikes! Toe cramps are the worst!

Heather