My legs have started hurting in the thighs and calves

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by stinker56, Sep 5, 2009.

1. stinker56

stinker56 New Member

I have never had much problems with my legs until just lately. Mostly my pain has been in my hips, lower back and feet but lately, my thighs have pain down deep in them and my knees ache.

I have always had hip and lower back pain and my feet have hurt my whole life as they are so flat and boney. It feels like the bones will come through the skin sometimes.

I have always said my bones hurt but now it really feels like it might be the bones in my thighs.

Anyone else have this pain and if so, any thoughts on how to help the pain?

2. misskoji

misskoji Member

Yes, I have this pain often.

I don't think there is anything that causes it to trigger on and off specifically. Dr. Lerner told me this is bone pain from hhv-6 and comes and goes. Have you bee tested for it?

It's one of the worst types of pains I deep to the bone pain. I'm sorry you're suffering and I hope you find some relief soon.

3. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

This is a new one on me in the last few months. I've been blaming it on the fillers in the thyroid medication. All I know is, I'm getting bad lower back, hips, thighs, all the way on down to the feet pain. And it's like deep muscle pain and nerve pain and it's not RLS. This is something different. My doc even tested me for potassium deficiency and that's not it. Something else is going on. I'm dying with it. And it gets worse at night. I am at a total loss as to what to take for the pain, too. She gave me Flexeril, which helps temporarily, but it wears off too fast. And I still need a pain killer on top. I wish I knew what this was. I haven't got a clue, all I know is, it seemed to start on me when they changed the Armour thyroid med formulation a few months ago. And now I'm on Levothyroxine and still have the leg pain.
  4. stinker56

stinker56 New Member

I am going back to the rheumy next month and I am definitely going to ask about the new pain.

I also have started having pain in my shoulders-actually in the ball sockets where you raise you arms. I have never had pain there before either.

It seems like every few days there is something new that hurts so bad that I think I can't get up and go but I must.

Hope you all have a good Labor Day weekend or at least get some extra rest.

5. DemonFairy

DemonFairy New Member

When I had horrible pain across my thighs & down my calves, it was a herniated disk. So, look up the symptoms for a herniated disk and see if maybe you have more of those than you might have thought. Oddly enough, my back didn't really hurt, but my leg pain was behind anything I'd ever experienced before in my life. It's the first time in my life that I'd ever wanted anything stronger than Advil. In fact, I started begging for it, because the pain was taking over my life. Luckily, my MRI showed a huge herniation and finally my doctors started to believe me...and I never had a problem getting pain meds from them after that. But honestly, the pain was excruciatingly bad, especially when walking slowly or standing.

Since your pains started in other places, it certainly may be something completely different, but don't rule out a herniated disk if you have terrible across the thigh pains, calf pains, and nasty sciatica.
  6. DemonFairy

DemonFairy New Member

And what helped, before I was able to get pain meds, was getting on the floor on all fours and slowly stretching my legs out back behind me. It wasn't perfect, but it was some relief when I was getting none otherwise. Also, sitting on ice packs helped a lot for the sciatica.
  7. FibroFay

FibroFay New Member

but, I just wanted to add that I know it's good to watch your salt intake.

Any pain in your lower extremities could be worsened by fluid retention due to sodium intake.

I get some relief for lower leg and foot pain by cutting way back on my salt intake.

Hope this helps.

8. HarleyRidingGal

HarleyRidingGal New Member

Wow, just when I think I'm finished for the night looking at all the threads, I find yet another one I can relate to.

I agree about the ice packs. Personally, I have a big bag of frozen peas and I put them on my knee. My hip pain has become so awful and my right side was my favorite to sleep on.

I, too, tried flexeril but I noticed that it wore off too soon as well.

Since I just had an enodoscopy and colonoscopy, of course part of the cleansing process contains lots of sodium and boy oh boy my lower limbs and hands were swollen for 2 days afterwards. I believe strongly, for me anyway, that sodium plays a part in joint swelling and increased pain. I was raised to not use added salt at all and had to find that healthy balance as an adult of no sodium and too much sodium.

Sometimes the legs, hips and thighs feel like cramped muscles and sometimes the pain is so incredibly sharp, it just travels down then back up and keeps going on and on. I was told a few years ago that I had neuropathy in both hands and feet and the electrical pain just drives me nuts.

It's muscles, joints, tendons, nerves. All have different types of pain and when all of them go off at once, I feel like a whole lot of donkey doo.

I really try and drink tons and tons of water each day and sometimes it helps although I have to watch it at night. Don't want the bathroom to be my favorite place all the time.

My sympathies go out to each person on this thread who experience this type of awful pain. Living here in the northwest and all the rain, then sun, then rain, then sun only makes the pain worse.

They should fire each and every weather reporter and just ask an FM sufferer who has joint pain. I guarantee our accuracy would be a lot greater.

I too wish there was a simple answer. I hope it helps just to talk about it with those that understand. Again, my heart goes out to all....

9. daboysone

daboysone New Member

Yes this is one of my main issues with my FM. I get pain in my legs from the hips all the way down to my toes...sometimes both legs, sometimes just one...also constant pain in my low back and hips. Knees, ankles, wrists, etc.

I recently was started on new pain patch for my back and it has worked wonders for that but doesn't touch my legs, I have tried several things and haven't found anything that really helps except soaking in a warm tub. That reduces the pain but doesn't completely take it away. I never know when my legs will bother me either however it seems like the weather does play a part in it as mentioned above in another post, and for me it is always seems to happend during the night (unless I am in a flare ) wakes me up or starts to hurt in the late evening before bed. The heating pads help me also..I have 2 one for each leg, but the bath does better for me. I also have horrible morning pain.

Hope you feel better soon! M :)
    [This Message was Edited on 09/07/2009]