My legs jerk real hard sometimes. What is it?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Starla, Jan 7, 2003.

1. Starla

Starla New Member

What is up with my legs just jerking out of nowhere. It is like I just got hit with a large volt of electricity. Anyone else have this? Do you know what makes it happen?
  2. jaster45

jaster45 New Member

It may be spinal cord related.You may be out of alignment or you maybe deficient in a few vitamins,minerals.Calcium,magnesium,sodium,potassium may be a possibility,My legs would jerk at times with no warning,especially at night when I was getting ready to sleep.My shins use to tingle and ache big time when very ill and when I started on b-comlex as well as minerals the pains subsided greatly.The tingling went away as well.Make sure you are hydrated as well.Dehydration can cause numerous symptoms.

I hope this may be of help.

Hang in there,

Jaster45
  3. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

One of the symptoms of FMS is "restless leg syndrome". I'm not sure what causes it, but I've had it for many years. I just found out this year what it was. I take Neurontin to ease it. A lot of people here take Klonopin. You can look up different posts here where people talked about restless leg syndrome. You can also do a search and find it. Hope this helps!

Annette2
  4. AnnetteP

AnnetteP New Member

over the last couple of years. I experienced some very bizarre things, besides the twitching (my leg would lock when I'd stretch and I'd scream in pain...other times my big two and second toe would stretch apart, like a "V," without me trying to make that happen.). Eventually, with the use of vitamins and minerals, and a better diet, those things, including the twitching, stopped.

However, when I'm in a flare, like the one I'm finally getting out of after two months, my legs revert back to their old ways. I discussed this with both my dr. and my massage therapist (who is also a Naturopath). Both agreed that it was likely due to a mineral deficiency. This deficiency wasn't caused by lack of mineral supplementation, because I continue to take my supplements when I'm in a flare, but probably because I either don't eat properly and/or my body is unable to absorb these minerals due to something going on during the flare, that affects absorption.

I say all that to say this: try supplementing with minerals; you should see an improvement. But, if you go through a flare and the symptoms return, don't think its because the minerals stopped working.

Hope this helps,
    Annette