my life seems very bare

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shannonsparkles, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

I dunno. I saw my counsellor today, and it makes me think about stuff like this. We were talking about getting well. But I got sick very young, and I wasn't well even before that. I don't know what 'well' is like. Even without the health issues, my life has been very painful, with many losses and no safe times.
  2. jaltair

jaltair New Member

I'm sorry to see a person so young feel that their life is "bare." I see so many people in this world that seem have to suffer and others who seem to skate by all suffering; what I've found because of these things is that life is not fair. Many times I've wondered why young people who should have such wonderful full lives are burdened with things that physically or mentally impair them from achieving "happiness."

I think I will never know the answer to this ongoing question. My son was diagnosed at age 22 with bipolar disease after a suicide attempt. He is now 33 and still not able to really have a full life. He would like nothing more than to find a soulmate and have a family. I've heard him say what you have said in your post, and it makes me feel empty inside and helpless to help him.

I'm sorry that I can't say something more positive to you. All I can offer are my thoughts and prayers that at some point there is an answer that will help with FMS / CFS and the other chronic health and mental health problems that plague people. But for now, continue with your counselor. That will help you sort through the thoughts you have. All those thoughts are really ok you know.

Warm wishes, Jeannette
  3. rileyearl

rileyearl New Member

I can relate to your post so well. Our circumstances and ages are very different, but you are right, even without the health issues, life can be very painful and difficult.

When I was working fulltime and spending a couple hours a day commuting in heavy traffic, I used to joke that my life was like work release. I only got out to go to work, then back home. Nothing else, only the daily house stuff.

Now I'm working from home and it feels like I'm under house arrest! I'm too tired to drive and hurt too much to walk anywhere, even if I could drive.

I just keep working toward feeling better and know this phase will pass. One plus about being older than dirt is that you can remember other times when life seemed bare. When they ended, it was time to engage with life again and really enjoy it. In your case, it will be time to sparkle!

Keep up the conversations with your counselor until you can really hear yourself. That sounds odd, but it's what I did a few years ago. Right after that, I seem to have grown a backbone!

Take care!

Francie