My little girl (6)woke with pain in legs, what's the odds of RLS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by saphire27, Feb 28, 2006.

1. saphire27

saphire27 New Member

like i have?? I'm so worried, my son also gets pains in his butt & knees only. I can read all the studies, but i want to know from YOU, the people that experiences this withtheir kids. And it had to be the night of all the mess with the bully, i tell you it was a hard night.

She's better today.

Dr once tols me if it happens only in the evening & at night, it's just growing pains, i hope so. but taking her to NEW doc soon.

I know there are a few moms here that their kids have this. but i don't know the details.

Love saph
  2. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Well-Known Member

and I believe all three of mine went thru this around 6-9 years.
  3. Crispangel66

Crispangel66 New Member

When my son had a sleep study for sleep apnea the dr said that he also has rls and then he was only 10yrs old.

I would get her checked out.

Good Luck, Pamela
  4. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

seems like every springtime for many yeas and still to this day he sleeps with a pilow unde his knees...but what he had wa s osgood-slacther diseASE, form growing so qickly...it is painful walking steps, walking and running...they will out grow it the plates are grwoing quickly and it looks like they have two knew caps....and what is a big depoist of calcium growing and the nerves that run over that is getting stretched out over the growth...they out grow it where doesn't bother them any more...14-15 years old....

i dr. appt can take of it and get it dx...

jodie
  5. janiemac

janiemac New Member

We went the calcium and magnesium route and it helped immediately. It also seems about the same time they would have some constipation issues and the vitamins helped with that also. Good luck, we have enough to worry about without our poor kids having this also.
  6. mlrarr

mlrarr New Member

Im with Jamiemac..
    My kids get awlful leg cramps at night and also when the weather changes like when its going to rain. We give them vitiamns- cal and mag- I also put deep heat or icy hot on their legs or a heating pad on med heat. I will put a pair of their dads socks on them to try to heat up their legs.

I never worried about it because I also had real bad leg cramps when I was a kid. My brother and sister had them too.
    They are real PAINFUL so when she gets them be ready to stay up a while rubbing and rubbing her little legs.

Take care
    Melinda
  7. Cindyvr

Cindyvr New Member

My step son had these pains..He's 6 too. His twin sister doesn't have them at all!!!
    Someone told me to have them eat a banana a day and it would help. I guess it has something in it that helps with leg cramps...Well, we started doing this and I told his Mom about it and she started feeding him a banana a day and they have just about all disappeared. He gets them rarely now. Hope this helps!!!
    Cindy
  8. saphire27

saphire27 New Member

I am also torn about the growing pains!

I'm leaning on that side now. You gave me helpful info, but how do you give kids mag & calcium, when they won't eat the vitimins, i have bought every kind their is at the pharmacies, chews, gummie, bubblegums, they don't like any of them!, my boy loves milk, he can drink it all day if i let him, but my girl doesn't like milk unless it's choclate, so i give her choclate(hersheys).

Can the dr give me a script of those or something, they really NEDD IRON!

luv, saph
  9. lil_angel1198

lil_angel1198 New Member

believe in growing pains....growing shouldn't hurt.

My 6 yr old daughter has been in pain everyday for the past 4-6 weeks. I am calling the doctor today.
    She hurts all times during the day, but mostly when she gets up in the morning (Sound familiar?)

10. saphire27

saphire27 New Member

hmmm, yes it sounds like FM to me, i hope your keeping a record of when it hurts, & what she says about it,

thats what i started to do now.

But she hasn't complain in the last couple of days so i hope its not FM
  11. FMhurts

FMhurts New Member

I've had great success with magnesium, I use to have to use a heating pad every night and go from the bed to the couch.I've taken magnesium ever since Sept. 2005 and I've retired my heating pad. the RLS has just left. I take two 500 mgs. per day. Its has even healed my IBS.
    I'ts been the best thing I've tried in my 17 years of suffereing...try it...and with kids they may not need this much,you might start with 250 for a child. Taking to much can cause allot of bathroom visits. I've told many others about this and they too are getting relief as well.
  12. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

NO SUCH THING as growing pains. If there are pains there is a reason - not from growing. It is always worth paying attention to and looking further into.

My girl has terrible pains also. I did as well. My doc already suspects she has FMS or more. Starting testing on her soon. She is 9 :(.

Sofi
  13. angeljoe

angeljoe New Member

Every single time I mentioned painful and kicking legs to her pediatrician would blow me off! My daughter started begging to have her legs rubbed at bedtime. She would mainly have problems when she was falling asleep. She said it felt like spiders crawling on her. We were losing sleep because she would kick all night long and wake herself up. She would always come to our bed in the night. She does this even when taking a nap.

I blew my top the last time the DR didn't think it was a problem. I told her that SOMETHING is wrong here! Finally after a year of asking for help she send my daughter to a sleep lab. She and I spent the night there and she wore tons of wires (Painfree) she slept kicking and all. We had a full size bed but no privacy. I didn't sleep a wink ~ lol

Now at bedtime she takes 1/2 tablet of clonazepam 1 mg. She hasn't had any side effects of the medication. It has worked wonders in our house. As she gets older her dosage will increase but for now she is on the very lowest possible dose. This med don't make her sluggish or act any different than before. She is able to rest without the crawling and pain in her legs. I have been getting more sleep too! With FMS and sleep - thats another story!

Sorry I've written a book here. Never let them put this on the back burner. If you have insurance the study and medication is usually covered. My Kaleigh is a happier girl now that she can sleep comfortably.
    Angela
    [This Message was Edited on 03/04/2006]