My longawaited weekend was a tough one

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AnneTheresa, Aug 21, 2006.

1. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Hello friends. As some of you may know, I had planned a mini-vacation for this weekend past. It was arranged several months ago - a weekend trip to the city, with a stay at a lovely hotel, theatre tickets and plans to visit the art gallery.

It's so tough, isn't it? for those of us with these DD's to plan anything in advance and it's a financial risk to purchase non-refundable theatre tickets etc.

As Murphy's Law would have it, when it was time to leave for our mini-vacation, I was in the midst of a flare and had wicked flu-like symptoms, so much so that I couldn't even take a shower without my significant other helping.

By nook or crook, I got to the city and as soon as we checked into the (lovely) hotel I crashed. I stayed in bed until it was time for the play, then struggled to get dressed and made up. To make a long story short I made it to the play (it was great!) but then (the next day) I couldn't manage to go the art gallery so we came home early.

Today I'm recovering from the excursion, feeling weak but happy that I made the effort and at least got to attend half of what we had planned.

I wonder if, years from now, when I travel through my memories, will I remember the surrounding pain and grief or just how much I enjoyed the play. The point is, I never want to give up. Going to the theatre (etc.)is one of life's bright moments and I need these moments to balance the hardship.

I'd love to hear what other's consider bright moment's and what sort of events you'll struggle to attend...

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  2. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Sometimes I think the stress of not knowing how we will feel on a given day (of course this can change hour-by-hour as we all know), can bring on a flare. I know this has happened to me. I finally had to tell myself that what will be will be and try not to stress myself over this.

I'm glad you were able to do half of what you had planned. It's important to remember what we have been able to do and try not to dwell on what we have missed.

My husband and I love to go to festivals during the summer and especially love to hear groups play "oldies" music. We really love the 50's and 60's music. Another thing I would hate to miss is the fair we have in my small town every August. I've been going there since I was a child and so far have never missed it. It helps that the fair is a week long. This year I was able to go twice.

Occasionally, we go to plays (if I can find one that I think will interest my husband-he isn't normally big on plays).

Ellen
  3. katsmi

katsmi New Member

Anne Theresa,

We (my husband & I) have just completed his second one-week vacation.

We did not travel too far from home for a couple of nights, but by Tuesday afternoon of last week, I crashed big time. So very sick!! (Also, had a bladder problem (cystitis)

On this Monday morning I am still weak and not feeling well and wondering where our vacation went. I've been in a state of despression wondering why I can never, ever get used to this DD, even afer 30 years+!

BUT,I think when you look back, you will remember the good time at the theatre. It seems we do remember the good times over the bad!

My DH and I were planning on going to the art museum here in our town but that also fizzled. But, I have the hope that we will be going soon!

Keep the faith!
    Kats
  4. a-b

a-b New Member

I made it through the weekend of my daughter's wedding by sheer determination. I was on such a high, so happy for her, that I was able to put the DD on the back burner. I did take 2 1/2 days off work before the wedding so I wouldn't be too overwhelmed and tried to get extra rest to get ready for the event. I also took off the following Monday to rest.

The following weekend, my husband and I went on a business/vacation with his area people just 2 hours from home for 4 days. It was fun but afterwards, I crashed, stayed home for 3 days with lots of pain and exhaustion.

I figured it was all just catching up with me and I feel better now.

We just have to keep trying to do what we love, put on a positive attitude, try to get extra rest before and after, and don't let this DD control our lives!

So glad you made it to the play. I believe we will remember the happy parts of our lives and forget the pain.