My Melatonin experiment - 2 days

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sidereus, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Sidereus

Sidereus New Member

Hello,

I took a 3 mg melatonin tablet at bedtime 2 nights in a row . . . with very odd results.

I awakened the first night/morning early and feeling as if someone was holding me down and preventing me from walking. Odd. What was worse was that I tried to walk but fell to my knees. I had to drag myself to the kitchen because I was so weak, not tired. Weak. It was a scary feeling but I did not panic.

Throughout the day I felt fairly well, all things considered. I then decided to try again.

That night at bedtime, I took a 3 mg melatonin tablet. This time, I awakened 2 hours later with the same type of symptoms and a very odd rectal pain(!). Throbbing pain? Anyway, I did fall back asleep around 5 AM and awakened at 8 AM, ate breakfast and fell asleep again almost immediately and awakened at 12 PM!

The next day, I decided that I would not take the melatonin that night. I awakened the following day with none of the symptoms that I experienced while taking the melatonin.

A couple of questions. Should I take a lower doseage? Are my symptoms typical of not tolerating the drug? Any other suggestions?

My purpose for taking the melatonin was due to the fact that I cannot recall when I have had a normal sleeping "day".

Thanks for any advice/suggestions,

Richard
  2. Jaysea

Jaysea New Member

I've been taking 3mgs every nite for about 8 yrs. I've never had the effects you mentioned. I did have very vivid and weird dreams the first few yrs I took it but I don't know if that was from the melatonin or the fms. It just helps me get to sleep but I still awaken several times. You might try a lower dose, like 1 mg, and see what happens.
  3. Bkay

Bkay New Member

I just started on melatonin, I took just one last night
    and I had strange dreams..If I up the dose do you think that
    would do away with the dreams...
  4. sofy

sofy New Member

Meletonin could cause harm just like any natural substance if it is not what your body needs. The bad symptoms are a warning that something is not right and I think you should listen to those warnings. You could try no more than 1mg and see what happens.
    The sleep paralysis you describe are often suffered by narcoleptics. I find it very interesting you were able to cause this to happen by ingesting meletonin.
  5. magic

magic New Member

I buy it from this site and started off cutting the tablets in half for two weeks and then went onto a full tablet taken as I settle to go to sleep.It should not be taken during the day as it will upset the bodies natural clock It makes me go to sleep very quickly but I still wake up during the night however I go straight back to sleep now instead of laying awake for hours.
  6. karen55

karen55 New Member

You must be sensitive to meds. I used to take 2, 3 mg. tablets at bedtime for sleep. Melatonin no longer works for me at all.