My memory foam topper has a strange smell!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Fireball, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Fireball

Fireball New Member

If anyone knows if these toppers are toxic, please let me and others know. I tried to research this on earlier posts but did not see anything regarding this.

I bought a thin memory foam topper to put on top of my mattress pad. Like everyone else, I thought that I would sleep better with this foam under the sheets.

There is a really strange odor though from the foam and this is after I have aired it out for a few days. I am really afraid to use it because it might create more problems than it is going to solve.

Please write if anyone knows that these foam pads are toxic to our health.
  2. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

There are several posts from me, and several from others in another current thread. It's called something like "Need advice on memory foam topper", and may be on page 2, but it's very current and had about 25 posts earlier today.

One person knows someone who works for a mattress factory and warned her that the byproducts thse toppers are made from used to be just waste products that were thrown away and are not safe.

jeanne
  3. dontlikeliver

dontlikeliver New Member

from buying one......wondering what chemicals are used in the process of making them.

But, regular matresses are also 'covered' in chemicals (fire-retardants, etc).

DLL
  4. elsa

elsa New Member

Hi .... I have three of them and have not had any

problems. I noticed the smell too .... but only during the first few days or so.

I have been steadly getting better these last couple of months. If they were toxic I dont think I would feel
    as good.

I do have problems with some chemicals ....but apparently not these toppers.

Good luck,

Elsa
  5. tngirl

tngirl New Member

The smell will go away faster if you can air it outside. It does eventually go away.

I am apparently not chemically sensitive so I've had no problems with it after the stink went away!
  6. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

I bought mine on Overstock.com and it has a layer of down around it with a cover. I have had no problems with it - no order at all. Nancy
  7. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

It was only $59 with the down and all!
  8. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I tried the memory foam pillow. I couldn't stand the chemical smell. Put it in the spare room for a month or so and tried it again. Still couldn't stand it. Gave it to my daughter.

I'd like to try the down one though!

Hugzz
    Greenbean
  9. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

People also say the CuddleEwe is great, and the CuddleEwe pure wool pillows w/ cotton covers are dreamy too.

I ordered a featherbed topper for myself. It's not organic, so will need airing, as anything new I buy does, but it's cotton and feathers, simple enuff.

Jeanne