My mom has to have another surgery tomorrow

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rene, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Rene

Rene New Member

The ortho surgeon called me this morning and she has to have surgery again tomorrow on her arm. I had to give conscent on the phone. Thankfully it will only be 40 minutes.

She is still in MICU and on breathing tubes but the pressure of the air is not full force so that is good. And she got moved to a room with some other patinet now so her nurse has 2 patients.

I am gonna go later but doing so bad. Did not even shower since Thursday. Upset too cause the Nurse said they can't put that recliner chair in her room as there is no room so I can't stay. I always stayed at least 6 hours now I can't be there if I am lucky an hour.

I did notice others don't stay so long.

Anyways my poor mom. She cracked her elbow in the fall and had surgery, had mini stokes or suspected in March and was in the hospital for a week and then nursing homefor a month.

Then in april her caregiver sexually played with himself in front of her 10 times, we were going to court last Tuesday, THEN 3 weeks ago she fell and cut her head open and broke her hip,AND NOW THIS!!!!!!!

And end of Jan I had and 8 cm mass on ovary that grew to 18 cm and ovarian cancer was suspected. I feel like writing Oprah.

More bad stuff is coming cause of what to do next but can't go into that now cause tooo much.

Thanks for listening,
    Rene
  2. ckball

ckball New Member

When it rains it pours. I am so sorry you are having to deal with this on your own. Why do they need to operate on her elbow now. It seems like a knife happy surgeon. The broken hip, yes.

But to go back in for the plate in her leg and now the arm. Sounds like you may not be getting the full story. Did they do something wrong and causes these new infections.

I know it is hard to make all these decisions without any support from family or freinds. You get so tired, you can't make a decision on what to eat let alone major surgery for your mom.

Our hospital has a family area where you have a couch and recliner in a cubical so you have some privacy. Just go and stay what ever you can but don't push your self any more than you already have. I have also had an aid push me up in a wheelchair, just because they are more comfortable than the hard chairs. Just a thought.

Hang in there and let us know how you are doing-Carla

3. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Rene:

I might wants the police. It has to take someone what the family can not help.

And have you not seen the commercials about nursing home and how attornys can help.

Just a just you you call on a phone call may make a difference.

hugs,
    nyronfan
  4. Busyknitter2

Busyknitter2 New Member

Your mother and you are in my thoughts and prayers. You have both been thru so much. You are a wonderful daughter. Please remember to take care of yourself also.
  5. pepper

pepper New Member

You and your mom are in my thoughts and prayers. It must be so difficult handling this all on your own.

I have been through stuff with my own mom and remember how hard it was but at least I got to share the burden with my sisters.

(((GENTLE HUGS)))
    Pepper
  6. Rene

Rene New Member

Thanks all for everythig. I went tonight and she looks really really bad. Her eyes are swollen shut now.

The only good out of it is she went to sleep while I was there.

She has to have surgery tomorrow cause she has Sepsis and I just looked it up tonigh and it says 60% of people can die if they have a disease (which she does) and a signifacant number can die even if heathly per medline.

She just had surgery on Tuesday to get that hardware out of her arm.

I did go over to a neighbor house (i didn't even know her last name) and cried and she told me to come in and I stayed a while and she told me to come back. SHe is 70 and in a wheel chair. I have talked to her before but I feel good that I can go to her apartment but would give anything if I could just be with my mom.

Thanks,
    Rene
  7. optimistic1

optimistic1 New Member

I am so sorry that yor Mother needs another surgery tomorrow. She and you will be in my prayers and hope that she will come out of this just fine. I wish you didn't have to go through this all by yourself.

Would it be possible for your neighbor or someone to keep you company tomorrow during the surgery? And, I like the idea of you being able to be nearby in the visitors' lounge so you can rest now and then.

You must take care of yourself, but this is easy to say right now, isn't it?

Many blessings, I hope you get some sleep tonight,

Arlene
  8. JLH

JLH New Member

I hope she gets along OK with this surgery ... and I'll say a prayer for her ... and you.

Love,
    Janet H.
  9. Rene

Rene New Member

Hi thanks again for the kind words. Her surgery got cancelled due to higher priority surgeries. The hospital has a trama unit.

Anyway I hope maybe she will get better and not need the surgery but nobody told me that. But it could happen. SHe just looks so bad.

Thanks,
    Rene

10. ckball

ckball New Member

I know how hard this is for you. My mom had sepsis, it was started as a bladder infection and nearly killed her. I told you that story in another post. She coded and they got her back. That was 1 1/2 years ago.

I would be interested to see her medical records. Something doesn't seem right here. Where did she get the infection that caused the sepsis.

It is a blood infection, my guess is this is a result of her hip surgery, once infected because her immune system is not up to par, it went to the weakest area.

I do not want to add to your stress, but I would ask for medical records. Do you have power of attorney for her?

I am glad you were able to talk to your neighbor. We all need somebody that can just listen to us.

It sounds like you might need each other. Does she live alone too?

Hang in there, you really are a great daughter, you will get thru this, let me know how you are doing. Prayers to you and your mom, Caral
  11. Rene

Rene New Member

Wow Carla your right your mom had that. I only heard of Sepsis last night. That is what the Pope died of and Christopher Reeve.

I have power of attorney. I have to get into that record but have to wait cause I can't deal with it yet.

That lady has 5 daughters but lives a lone. I kinda thought she didn't like me before but she really does like me.

Was your moms face super swollen with her eyes swollen shut?

Thanks,
    Rene
  12. ckball

ckball New Member

I can't remember if mom was or not. She weighed about 200 pounds at that time. She was in a coma for about 3 days or so then gradually woke up and talked to dead people.

She says she does not remember any of it. She spent about another 4 days or so then went to the nursing home to stay.

Hopefully they caught it early enough and got the meds in her.

I am happy you found a freind in your neighbor.

Get some rest, maybe a long hot bubble bath with a candle or special treat. I've been know to take a bowl of ice cream into my whirlpool :) Carla