My mother's birthday.

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by gapsych, Jan 25, 2009.

1. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Today would have been my mother's 89th birthday. She has been gone 13 years.

I am taking today to reflect on our times together which were tumultuous at times as she had severe depression. This was before the new ADs. But there were also some incredibly positive times.

She was a bright, witty, intelligent woman. It took until my thirties, when I started dealing with my own depression, to realize how hard it must have been for her.

Realizing that she did the best she could under the circumstances, was one of the most insightful moments of my life.

A bittersweet day.

I miss her and love her.

She will always be my mother.

gap

[This Message was Edited on 01/25/2009]
  2. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I, too, honour your mom with you today.

My relationship with my mother has improved so much since she passed. I know how odd that sounds but it's true. Sometimes I have a flash of insight and I understand something about our difficulties that I did not before and I speak, aloud, to her. Can't say for sure that she gets the message but I think she does. Whether she does or not, it matters that I do.

Poor old mothers. What a job it is to be a human being and a mother all at once!

Here's to mothers!

Rafiki
  3. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

Gap I am also with you to honor your mother on this day.

You didn't intend it, but your post brought out thoughtful feelings from many others and their relationships with their mothers and I think that was so positive to finally speak out. Mental health ailments (like depression) impact those around the person and science did not move quickly enough to help and society stigmatizes people so they waited to get help or never got help.
  4. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

I was not offended at all. And I was glad to hear Rafiki and you speak your minds. Some know how bad things with my Mom were. Mom is still alive but has terrible Violent Dementia and my Mom is not allowed near me because she has physically hurt me in the not too long ago past when she was living with me--many agencies were at my home and it was extremely traumatic. The agencies forced Mom out of my home forever. I love Mom, but she even knew her mother had Violent Dementia and she lied about her mom having it to our whole family. Mom chose to do nothing when she knew she, herself, finally had it. I sought therapy and I got through the pain and trauma of it all happening.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/26/2009]
  5. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

and for me. My mother's problem was rage, too. It's a tough one, for sure. Thank you for giving of yourself. So much healing happens in sharing.

peace
  6. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I really appreciated your story, too.

Some time after my mother passed away my brother ran into an old acquaintance of his who had never met my mother. This acquaintance did a double take when she saw him and said, "Oh, your mother died." My brother said she had and the acquaintance asked him if he had a sister. He said he did and she said, "Well, I don't know what this means but your mother says to tell her that she did the best she could."

So random! So right on.

it ain't easy being human

peace

[This Message was Edited on 01/26/2009]
  7. gapsych

gapsych New Member

My gosh, how could I have been offended. I find this type of sharing so therapeutic and as I read each post it prompted other memories. I also found myself very comfortable sharing this here.

I love this board.

I have not found this post depressing at all.

BTW, I have always wanted my mother to appear or feel her presence, as she had an avid interest about the supernatural activities. But this has not happened. However, when I think of her, maybe that is her presence I am feeling.

Thanks to all of you. Here is a virtual hug along with good karma!! Some chocolate, too!!

gap

8. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

thanks for the chocolate!

I agree with you, wonderful things have happened here.

All the best to you, Gapster!

And all the other beautiful people, too!

ETA http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=JeHtuwsUeRw

[This Message was Edited on 01/27/2009]