My muscles feel deeply bruised, part of FM?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by Chelz, Jul 4, 2009.

1. Chelz

Chelz New Member

For the past several years I feel my FM has been just getting worse. When I was diagnosed, my rheumatologist told me I had 14 tender points and at the time back in 2002 you only needed to have 8 tender points along with fatigue, sleep issues, pain, etc. I don't know if that criteria has changed or not, but I now feel like I have 20 tender points.

My worst tender points is deep within both of my hips/buttocks area which can reach down into both upper thighs and my knees. My neck and in between my shoulder blades are also tender and feel bruised.

I cannot tell if the muscles feel bruised only, or if they are always in spasm. I did have an MRI for my low back and hip area which revealed nothing.

The strange thing is this, if I massage this area deeply it hurts so bad, but feels good at the same time, very strange. My muscle in the hip/buttock area on the right also feels like I have little rocks in them. If I massage too deeply the area will burn and be much more painful the next day that I have to ice the area, apply pain relieving cream and take some Advil or Aleve.

This type of bruised, rocky feeling has prevented me from going out and getting some walking for exercise. I had originally thought this pain could have been from a lipoma (benine tumor) that I had removed several years ago, I still feel that could be it, but both hips hurt, I only had surgery on the right hip, which is the worst one.

I feel I may have to start taking my more powerful pain meds besides Aleve or Advil, but my integrative doc has not suggested me to take them, and in the past, she knows that I didn't want to take them, I may be changing my mind soon.

I also may have a kidney stone on the left side, but my pain is worse on the right. Thanks for listening, hugs, Chelz.
  2. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I always feel like I am bruised, over my whole body, that has been one of my major FM symptoms the feeling of being bruised when there isn't an actual visible bruise.
  3. 3gs

3gs New Member

it sounds like myofascial pain.

you will get the knots. goggle it it will tell you about massaging them out.
  4. kriket

kriket New Member

Hi Chelz-

Yes, this all sounds so familiar ! I do think it is all a part of fibro. The small knot type things are all under my skin. Its really grose feeling. Usually whereever I have these lil knots is very very tender. I am so sry for all of the discomfort, it is very hard to explain to ppl who do not understand it, but I for one do understand, because I deal with it too.

Blessings- Krik
  5. mspunk

mspunk New Member

Hi! Just wanted to say that this is how I feel on a daily basis like my entire body feels like it's bruised! Or when trying to get out of bed in the mornings I feel like I was run over by a mack truck! All the gentle stretches and walking does absolutely nothing for me. Altho I do get out and walk the dog but even holding her leash hurts me. I feel I'm too young to live like this. I am 53 and can accept the aging process and the aches and pains but when it's pushed on you (car accident a yr ago) it's a hard pill to have to swallow! I'm unable to work a full time job let alone a part time job! My life sure has taken a drastic change and I feel like I'm so alone! Family and friends just don't understand how I feel and that's ok. I don't think anybody can really fully understand fibro not unless they have it themselves. I wouldn't wish this on anybody!!! Thanks, Diana
  6. tnm692

tnm692 New Member

Hello, I've been feeling like this for a while now. I'm only 41 and feel 65 already. It's horrible. I'm glad I found this article and now I have people to share with & understand me. I'm waiting now for some Blood work to come back, anyways, first let me start by saying yes, I am over weight & I feel like that may have some reason behind this.......My poor back omg! Besides the stiffness and not being able to turn because the pain & discomfort. My muscle feel like They are sooo bruised & sore. My Muscle on the right side of rib cage feel like its on fire. I can also feel it tightening up. My boyfriend tries to rub my back but it hurst so bad it has brought tears to my eyes. I have this knot by my right shoulder blade. Holy cow does that hurt. Then my hips if you were to lay done on your side with your legs bent right were you feel ur hip bone down by your butt. Ouch! It hurst sooooo bad. When i rub my hip it feels "lumpy" that's the best wy I can describe it. Which I'm assuming is cellulite. But feels sooo bruised. My boyfriend gets upset with me cause I'm always saying stop it hurts. So, if anybody can suggest anything to help. I'm listening. Wish you all in pain that it goes always . Thanks or listening. Have a great day. :)
  7. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

welcome. This is the best place to learn about this condition. About the lumps, I'm wondering if you have lipomas....here's a link to it. I have tons of little bumps on the sides of my thighs and under arms. VERY painful.

I suffer from hip pain....kinda comes and goes. It's probably from a certain group of muscles down in the buttock area. I totally recommend a book I bought years ago and suggest you buy it. The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook by Clair Davies. This will explain simply about myofascial pain and trigger points that anyone can develop in their body from overuse of muscles, etc. Get a tennis ball and put it in a sock. Hold this sock so the tennis ball hang down and hits the painful area and lean against a wall and roll it around. Yes, it will hurt when you hit the trigger point but it has to be broken up.

Here's the link.

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/tc/lipoma-topic-overview

8. lconklin

lconklin New Member

I too have the thigh pain and the burning bruised feeling in my shoulders and other body parts.

I have found trigger point injections helpful. My doctor finds the most tender area in the thigh muscle then does an injection. Had 5 shots in shoulders and 2 in thighs on 2-12-13. The shoulders feel great and the muscles have relaxed and are less painful.

I did not have quite as much success with the thighs but since I had only 2 injections fee; that might have been part of the reason. I will have multiple injections the next time.

9. sunflowergirl

Both hips are very painful, however because of positional vertigo I can only sleep on one side, not the other or my back. I woke up as usual around 2 with terrible pain in those lumps on my hip. I decided to try my large flat gel filled pack in the freezer to lay on it. This is fairly new from CVS pharmacy and it works wonders. I fell asleep and woke about 3 hrs. later....no pain. Got up and took my 2nd gel filled pack and exchanged it and went back to sleep for another 3 hrs. I think it's pain that's waking me up!!!!

By the way, this gel pack is about 7" x l0". I'm hoping that I will have success every night with this.
  10. tjo

tjo Member

I, too, have most of my pain in my hips, buttocks, legs and feet. It could be your sacroiliac joint or sciatic nerve. I just recently started using Voltaren (Diclofenac) gel on the area when it starts hurting and it doesn't spread down my legs or feet. I've had FM for 10+ yrs. and can't believe something so simple as this gel really helps. Please try it. It is prescription. I've had many injections and even tried the neurostimulator and they didn't work.
  11. tjo

tjo Member

This is exactly how I describe my pain. Also, I tell people it feels like about 10 people beat me up the night before. I also can't tolerate exercise. I've tried warm water exercises and physical therapy and it just makes it worse. I read about this and it's called "Post Exertional Malaise". At least there's a name for it and know that I am not lazy! I just started using Voltaren(Diclofenac) gel and it seems to work quite well.
  12. mamie43

mamie43 New Member

Hi Chelz,

I know exactly what you're talking about when you say: "The strange thing is this, if I massage this area deeply it hurts so bad, but feels good at the same time, very strange." There's a "spot" near my right shoulder blade that gives me that same feeling. It bothers me until my husband puts a lot of pressure on it and rubs it at the same time. It hurts a lot, but relieves it somewhat while doing this and afterwards. It probably softens or loosens the taut area.

Hugs, Mamie43

13. sunflowergirl

He examined where it really hurts......and felt all the lumps and took xrays. Turns out it's bursitis. It's when the bursa (a small purse like liquid filled sac) gets inflamed from overuse, etc. And after reading about bursitis apparently there are l60 of these bursas around the body, including the top of the shoulders and even the base of the thumb. Most interesting.....but it still hurts really bad.

Lots of treatment including ice packs to reduce the swelling. What I read also mentions people with lower immune systems, those with gout, RA, and other stuff. Also that crystals can form inside the bursa.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/20/2013]

And on Dr. Weil's website I found this about powdered ginger for the inflammation.

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART00325/Bursitis.html[This Message was Edited on 02/20/2013]
  14. tjblueeyes

tjblueeyes New Member

unfortunately, that bruised feeling is part of FM. After 10 yrs., my Dr. finally prescribed a topical NSAID which has helped quite a bit even though they say with FM there is no inflammation. The one I take is Voltaren. At first he gave me a sample of Pennsaid. It's just a little stronger formula.[This Message was Edited on 04/05/2013]