MY NECK IS KILLING ME

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by NOTNUTS, Nov 15, 2002.

1. NOTNUTS

NOTNUTS New Member

HI,

I AM NEW, MY NEURO TOLD ME ABOUT 3 WEEKS AGO THAT I HAVE FIBRO, AFTER MANY TESTS. I KNOW YOU ALL KNOW WHAT I MEAN.
    I STARTED WITH TERRIBLE LEG ACHES ESPECIALLY AT NIGHT WHILE I WAS TRYING TO RELAX WHILE WATCHING TV. THEN MY NECK, BACK, ARMS . I REALLY DIDN'T UNDERSTAND WHAT WAS HAPPENING TO ME.
    I WAS THE PERSON WHO WOULD ROLLER BLADE WITH MY KIDS (3 BOYS) NOW I DON'T EVEN WANT TO GO SHOPPING :(
    ANYWAY, THE NEURO PUT ME ON TOPOMAX AND FLEXERIL WHICH SEEMED TO BE DOING SOME GOOD FOR A WHILE.
    BUT TODAY MY NECK IS KILLING ME AGAIN. I CAN BARLEY TURN TO THE LEFT OR LOOK DOWN AND THE MUSCLE RELAXOR DOES NOT SEEM TO BE DOING ANYTHING. HAS ANYONE ELSE TAKING THIS MED? WHAT DO I DO NOW? CALL FOR MORE MED? CHANGE AGAIN. I WAS ON NEUROTIN BUT I GAINED WEIGHT ON IT SO HE TRIED TOPOMAX INSTEAD. THANKS FOR LISTENING :)
  2. NOTNUTS

NOTNUTS New Member

HI,

I AM NEW, MY NEURO TOLD ME ABOUT 3 WEEKS AGO THAT I HAVE FIBRO, AFTER MANY TESTS. I KNOW YOU ALL KNOW WHAT I MEAN.
    I STARTED WITH TERRIBLE LEG ACHES ESPECIALLY AT NIGHT WHILE I WAS TRYING TO RELAX WHILE WATCHING TV. THEN MY NECK, BACK, ARMS . I REALLY DIDN'T UNDERSTAND WHAT WAS HAPPENING TO ME.
    I WAS THE PERSON WHO WOULD ROLLER BLADE WITH MY KIDS (3 BOYS) NOW I DON'T EVEN WANT TO GO SHOPPING :(
    ANYWAY, THE NEURO PUT ME ON TOPOMAX AND FLEXERIL WHICH SEEMED TO BE DOING SOME GOOD FOR A WHILE.
    BUT TODAY MY NECK IS KILLING ME AGAIN. I CAN BARLEY TURN TO THE LEFT OR LOOK DOWN AND THE MUSCLE RELAXOR DOES NOT SEEM TO BE DOING ANYTHING. HAS ANYONE ELSE TAKING THIS MED? WHAT DO I DO NOW? CALL FOR MORE MED? CHANGE AGAIN. I WAS ON NEUROTIN BUT I GAINED WEIGHT ON IT SO HE TRIED TOPOMAX INSTEAD. THANKS FOR LISTENING :)
  3. kadywill

kadywill New Member

Soma helps me much better than Flexeril ever did. Mobic helps my inflammation and I take Vicodin and Ultram for pain. This will be a learning process for you like it has been for the rest of us. Trial and error. Live and learn. Good days and bad days. You'll enjoy the support you get here and we're glad to have you!!!
    The pains you describe sound, oh-too-familiar!!
    Love,
    Kady
  4. kalynn1

kalynn1 New Member

I know what you mean Notnuts! I get the same neck and shoulder pain when I have a flare. I found out through various message boards that pain like this is pretty common (I thought it was just me!) Call your doctor if you can and let him know what's going on. Hopefully he'll give you something to help. Try a heating pad. Heat helps me a lot. I get in the shower and let hot water beat on my sore spots too. Hope you feel better soon.
  5. polliwog

polliwog New Member

One of my friends made me a bag filled with rice that you can heat in the microwave to heat. It is oblong in construction, and filled with rice that is full enough not to shift around and leave places uncovered by the heated rice. Caution---don't overheat it! You can get a nasty burn if you do. But, it holds the heat for quite a while and feels pretty good. LOVE Polliwog
  6. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Hi ya nuts--not!
    Flexeril didn't touch my neck pain--
    I use ultram daily, and Vicodin on the really bad days.
    Also take a very small dose of Klonopin, just before bedtime, which helps me sleep through the nite, with out waking up repeatedly.
    Never taken topomax.
    Heat helps if the pain is mild--but when it gets out of hand, it doesnt even phase me.
    Hope you can talk to your doc, and get some relief.
    Karen
  7. Shirl

Shirl New Member

To the board. That neck pain is so miserable. The Rice Socks do work very well, just fill a mans tube sock three quarters full of raw rice, tie or sew the ends, and put it in the microwave, mine works with two minutes, but the are all a little different with the heating.

I keep two rice socks in the freezer, and two out for heat. The are wonderful.

Can't help with the meds, I only take low dose Xanax in the evening. I take supplements and herbs for everything else.

Magnesium is wonderful for Fibro, it seems we are all deficient in this mineral. It helps heal the muscles while we sleep.

I sure hope you fine something to help that pain soon, it is so terrible.

Again, welcome to the board, and hope we hear from you often.

Shalom, Shirl
  8. LuvMeCritters

LuvMeCritters New Member

Are the ticket for me too. When I get that terrible neck/shoulder pain I get the TPI's. They work great. My pain management doc gives them to me. Have had them one time in my knee too when it was so bad.

Good luck and hope you find some relief soon. To me, that's the worst pain.

Regina :)
  9. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

I was on Flexeril for many years and still on it, although it wasn't working any longer (HMO), and the doc told me there wasn't anything else he could order. Well, I changed to a different HMO with more options and that's when I was given Zanaflex for muscle spasms. It is wonderful. The pain clinic used Zanaflex also. Ask your doc for it. Look it up & go in prepared, or just tell him you'd like to try it. Call his office and leave a message for it. If he/she doesn't prescribe it for you, make an appointment and go in with your information and if necessary demand it. Go higher within your insurance organization (through the employer) to get proper treatment. Good luck. dolsgirl
  10. Stormy214

Stormy214 New Member

Hi there...this is my first time posting, so I hope I'm doing this right. I am sorry for your misery, but was glad to read about people who suffer major neck/back problems. The few other people I know with this DD seem to have leg problems. While there isn't a part of me that is safe from the pain, the absolute worst are my neck and upper spine! I have been on almost every drug, herb and vitamin known to mankind in the past 2 years, with little effect. Physical therapy made me worse, ditto aerobic exercise. I truly feel for you. Currently, I am taking zanaflex and darvocet, am married to my heating pad, and have an understanding chiropractor who will squeeze me in for "maintenance" on the days I feel I can actually stand to be touched. I am usually married to my heating pad or the hottest bath water my skin will stand! I'm glad I found this sight, and I'm hoping I can offer some help and support as well as find some.
  11. lmn

lmn New Member

I too suffer from incredible neck and shoulder pain. I haven't found anything that helps long term. I've tried physical therapy, muscle relaxants, and other meds which made me too sleepy to function. The rice packs people have mentioned do help....if only we could walk around with them on all day!!! Magnesium and malic acid taken daily does ease the pain a bit. I'm still searching for a miracle that will take the pain away for good. I think I'll check out that trigger point book......
    Best of luck, and I'll post if I find something that works.
    lmn
  12. karen55

karen55 New Member

I just posted about a neck pillow on another post (Neck Pain and Newbies).

And I agree with Kady, Soma works much better for those muscle spasms. I use Zanaflex at night, and that, along with the neck pillow, helps me a lot.

Karen
  13. lea

lea Member

What kind of doctor does the trigger point injections?
    What is in the injections?
    thank you in advance
    lea
  14. karen55

karen55 New Member

I go to an osetopath, he does them, my orthopedist also does them. Cortisone and usually something numbing (one of the 'caines) is in them.
  15. dizzymindy67

dizzymindy67 Guest

sometimes my neck and all the way down my spine hurt so bad i could go crazy. they feel really really sore. in between my top shoulder blades too. they get real tight, real tight and hurt. often have spasms right on top of my left shoulder. i understand where you are coming from