my neck muscles are driving me nuts!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by swood, Sep 14, 2002.

1. swood

swood New Member

This is the first time using this site, so bare with me! I just got over having walking pneumonia four weeks ago,
    ever since then my body has gone into crazyness! My anxiety levels are off the roof, and I really feel like
    i'm going crazy at times. Tell me i'm not the only one ?! My neck trigger points are as tight as a rope! The
    problems with this is, it makes it harder to swallow and breath at times. Does any one have any suggestions.
    I just started taking Paxil again because of the anxiety, I don't think it starts to work for another week or so!
    I'm also looking for a support group in wisconsin, I don't know how to find this out! Help!!!

Thanks,
    Stephanie
  2. swood

swood New Member

This is the first time using this site, so bare with me! I just got over having walking pneumonia four weeks ago,
    ever since then my body has gone into crazyness! My anxiety levels are off the roof, and I really feel like
    i'm going crazy at times. Tell me i'm not the only one ?! My neck trigger points are as tight as a rope! The
    problems with this is, it makes it harder to swallow and breath at times. Does any one have any suggestions.
    I just started taking Paxil again because of the anxiety, I don't think it starts to work for another week or so!
    I'm also looking for a support group in wisconsin, I don't know how to find this out! Help!!!

Thanks,
    Stephanie
  3. allhart

allhart New Member

go to the home page click on fibromyalgia and then on the left click support groups,i to have been having the pain your descibing i think ill probley be at urgent care by then end of the weekend,it feels like someone has there hands wrapped around my neck its driving me crazy sorry i couldnt be more help welcome to the borard
  4. teach6

teach6 New Member

Now I have a question for you. I had a month long case of pneumonia about eight years ago. I was treated with several different antibiotics at the time, but no one ever checked to see if it was viral or bacterial. Is there a chance that this could have triggered my CFS? I've had symptoms for years, and really think I had them before then, but I wondered if it could be a factor in the worsening of my case.

Please let me know what you think.

Barbara
  5. shannon

shannon Guest

Hello stephanie, I used to get pneumonia all the time when I was a small child but knock on wood have not had it since. where in Wisconsin are you?. My best friend and I both have fibro. and cfs. We live in Mayville.
  6. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Stephanie, I got pneumonia and after that I was diagnosed with Fibro.

Be sure to take the advice you have been give here! I was never told what kind of pneumonia I had, and its too long ago to find out now.

Hopefully they can do something for you quickly.

Yes, I had that terrible feeling you mention after I was recovering. I was not treated for that either, I just fought my way through it.

Wishing you the best of luck, and please take the advice of the members here, they do know what they are talking about!

Shalom,Shirl
  7. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

Yes I have had that and I take Soma and a heating pad.

Walking Pheumomia a couple times in the long past. I didn't realise it was Micro... I never thought to tell the doctor this one so I will. My CFS seemed to get worse though when I had Meningitis. Is this related to? I also had Mono when I was a teen and I slept for 6 weeks, waking about an hour a day.

Glad to have you here, Kim and Gary
  8. PMangels

PMangels New Member

I am so sorry you are feeling poorly. I have never had pneumonia as far as I know but I wanted to tell you...you have come to the right place. This board never seizes to amazes me with all the answers they are able to provide for those of us who want to know something. I have found out more things from this board then ever from my PCP. And it gives me all kinds of clues about what kinds of questions to ask too.

I can understand your anxiety all to well. With all the pain you are having I'm sure you do feel like you are going crazy. I'm sure a lot of us can relate to that. When our bodies hurt and we can't feel better and we don't have the answers it's "normal" so to speak for us to feel that way.

In your post I can't tell if you are seeing a Rheumatologist or what. Are you taking any meds for your pain, anything else, treatments etc.? Can you help us out?

(((HUGS)))
    Arlene
  9. fibolady

fibolady New Member

hi and welcome to the board! i am always battling those tight neck muscles, eveyone in my house is let's say tired of rubbing my neck (how supportive) anyway, i use a tennis ball and laying on a mat, roll around the back of your neck. you can just feel those little bands popping.

if of interest, just received and started reading the book, "the trigger point therapy workbook" author clair davies. it was mentioned on an earlier post and sure the book will come up again and if anyone has good responses.

do you get headaches a lot. i am taking an anti anxiety med (klonopin) and it has helped with sleep and some anxiety but not my neck. hope this is helpful,

warm regards, fibolady
  10. cherkare

cherkare New Member

hi,
    i'm originally from Amherst/ Stevens Point wisconsin, and am leaving florida tuesday for a 3 week visit. i'm hoping that my flare up and crazyies settle down by visiting my family and getting away from at home stress.
    to help settle me down, i try to meditate a little. it's hard at first but just staring off at a tree with out thinking helps me. also i try to get lost in watching movies. it helps to stop thinking about whats happening with me.
    good luck

cherkare

11. Lynda B.

Lynda B. New Member

I have something you can try that will not hurt you at all.

My neck still gets so tender in some areas I cry. Through 10 years of flares off and on the only thing that has ever worked is this. I get a bed buddy and heat it up and put it around my neck. Later I get an ice wrap that can wrap around my neck and do that. I alternate the two.

I have found that massage, tens, relaxing the muscles using your finger as a trigger point relaxer, rubbing, etc. do not help.

Now, if I did some kine of work that I know specifically pulled a muscle or irritated a tendon or something, that is different. Then the area may need work and may hurt worse before better. My neck muscles flares don't seem to be related to anything. They just show up whenever they want. It seemed the more things I tried on those muscles, the more sore they got. Finally, I simply tried alternating hot and cold. It does two things for me. It takes the edge off the neck pain and it helps that pain lessen more quickly.

That is me. You are different and other things may work for you. I just though I could suggest something that I knew would not hurt even if it did not help. Of course, those nice warm showers or baths that go up the neck count as a heating mechanism too.

Regarding anxiety, biofeedback has been the absolute best thing I have learned during this whole thing. You CAN control that. It takes a good biofeedback trainer but it has been a lifesaver and I have taught it to my children through the years and it has been one of the best tools for my children regarding dozens of situation. I, personally, think it ought to be taught in elementary schools.

My best to you.

Lynda B.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/15/2002]
  12. griswoldgirl

griswoldgirl New Member

I have DDD and had cspine fushion last december so my neck consantly gives me a time.

Few suggestions:

destress-meditate if you know how, if not just lay flat on floor and take big diaphragmatic breaths while letting your stomach and chest rise, blow out slowly until all breath is out. repeat about 5 times and then just breathe in and out slowly for about 10 minutes using any kind of mantra ie. saying something positive with each in and out breath to yourself.

stretch-let neck go to one side as far as it COMFORTABLY can go and hold it there for 30 seconds taking deep breaths, then swith sides and do the same and then forward and do the same.

I find moist heat helps, I use rice socks(stuff a long sock with white rice, tie the end or sew it. Moisten the outside and put in microwave for 3 minutes and let sit on neck-i do this before stretchin to help loosen muscles.

self work-rub gently on the muscles that hurt, go up and down the muscle and find the knots, then puxh your neck towards the direction that your hand is pressing on the not-this is called strain and counter strain-this will often release it.

another self massage I find great is put tennis balls in a sock, two side by side and tie off sock,lay down and put balls on either side of neck and lay back on them allowing them to gently push on these knots.

NEVER push to hard find you edge so to speak and then back off a little.

professional massage is great if you can afford it

some people respomd to ice packs better to bring inflamation down- you can use ice pack or can use same rice socks out of the freezer.

I hope this is helpful. I deal with this chronically and these are the things that help me

warm baths with

2c epsom or sea salt
    1c baking soda
    1tblsp of ground ginger also helps if you have tub big enough to get your neck into. ginger is a natural antiinflamatory.

hope you get to feeling better

from a sister with neck pain

cathy
  13. BlueMoon

BlueMoon New Member

My neck hurts so bad! All the time! At night it is unbearable that is why I am up now! It is so tight Steve tells me it's like rubbing a brick! I have had very bad neck pain since My shoulder surgery in 1993. I always have knots in it & I'm always rubbing it just to get to feel better. I hate this!

Robin