my new dr is cfs ignorant

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bigmama2, Jun 18, 2009.

  1. bigmama2

    bigmama2 New Member

    ugh. i recently moved from pa to fl. my new prim care dr is clueless about cfs. actually now that i think about it- all of the drs i tried in pa were clueless about it too. so i guess i shouldnt be dissapointed.

    i have had severe insomnia for 20 yrs. when i take sleep meds it is much better. this is typical of most cfs patients. i have been on ambien for years and it is a godsend for me. well, my new dr doesnt "believe" in long term use of sleep meds. well aint that fantastic! even though i explained it all to him.

    also- normallly i dont have any anxiety problems, but in last few weeks i have had severe bad anxiety (due to a temporary stressful situation). i need help to get thru this. my cfs has gotten worse due to this current anxiety. xanax for a week or two would be incredibly helpful. but nooooo. this new dr would not give me any at all.

    so my appt was 100% useless. what a waste of time energy and money. its so frustrating that drs dont know about cfs. i even had a 2 page print out for him explaining about cfs and the need for sleep meds. it was an article that quoted several of the top cfs drs.


  2. shari1677

    shari1677 New Member

    Hi bigmama2, whereabouts in PA were you? I currently live in Erie - the "mistake by the lake" lol.

    I asked my doc here about chronic fatigue syndrome. I currently have fibromyalgia, but last year, I had such a relapse that I became extremely tired. I think I have both CFS and FM. My doc said they were one in the same and pretty much dismissed it as that.

    Oh - did you get your previous records to take to your new doc? Perhaps by seeing these he/she will represcribe you the medicines you were already on. I dont know what I would do if my doc decided to quit prescribing them to me.
  3. gapsych

    gapsych New Member

    Have you had a sleep study? I know my dad was prescribed Ambian without a sleep study. However, it is a legitimate way to show that you do indeed have a sleep problem.

    Most hospitals have a sleep study center. I would change doctor's and see if you can get a referal.

    One thing I did was to call the sleep center and have the recommend a PCP.

    Good luck.

    [This Message was Edited on 06/19/2009]