My new monster Yikes

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by morningsonshine, Jul 23, 2008.

1. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

I haven't been around for awhile because we took my horse to meet the new owners in WI and pick up the puppy my husband thought we needed.

Yikes, a great dane puppy that is the size of a normal medium dog at 10 wks.

I was really not ready for this, he's cute, but a royal pain in the @$$!!

It's a good thing we have no neighbors to complain, we put him out at 6:30 in the morning and he barks non-stop for 2 hours.
    He gets into everything!!

This is not good for my sleep, i was wanting to find an older dog that was beyond the puppy thing. But my hubby "surprised" me.

Picture in profile, behind that sweet face lies a monster, don't be fooled.
    His name is suppose to be Wallee, but i perfer Bone Head.
  2. ckball

ckball New Member

You need the Dog Whisperer,lol. He actually did a show about 2 Great Danes and one of them had issues and even ate the couch, really all that was left was the frame.

What was your DH thinnking??? Seriously, you need a trainer or school for him NOW while he is young or he will be a real problem when he weighs 150 pounds.

He is a cutie but they are such BIG FREAKIN DOGS. You have my deepest sympathies-Carla
  3. Jorgie

Jorgie New Member

I love those dogs. I was a the beach one day and I had one stand up on it's hind legs put it paws on my shoulders and proceeded to lick my face. It caught me off guard as a six foot plus male I'm not use to having a dog look me eye to eye much less be taller than I am. As a bonus we share the same name.
  4. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

Sounds like you have another kid. He is so so cute though. I bet it is hard to get mad at him because he is so cute. However, the barking early in the morning I don't think I could take.

Good Luck and I hope "Bone Head" works out. LOL

5. morningsonshine

I let "Bone-head" in the house after the avon lady was here cooing over him.
    first thing he did was grab my knitting off the couch and make off with it.
    The more i called the faster he ran, i finaly captured him under the kitcthen table!

Yes i do need a dog whisperer, he's so clumsy it's funny. He is biting us less with discipline and giving him something else to chew on, toy.

Thank goodness he sleeps alot right now. My hubby said he would be responsible for him, but when he's working that's not possible.
    Yesterday Wallee found a potatoe and chewed it up. He manages to get into everything!!
    I'm afaid he's going to wear me out, the kids our helping it's like having a two year old.
    But he also likes to snuggle and get hugs, but then the Monster grabs my hair!

6. stick2013

stick2013 Member

They are called *Gentle Giants*... Someone just needs to tell yours that he is gentle and needs to live up to his name. Not Bonehead either... LOL!!!! I house sit for people and I named their dog Bonehead!!!! It fits and they now call her that too....
  7. sisland

sisland New Member

Wow,,,Nice lookin' pup! sounds like a handful! But also sounds fun,,,maybe you could get him one of those BIG Rawhide chew bones,,,,Bone Head is a Good Name!,,lol,,,,Sis
  8. poets

poets Member

He's so cute! I love his markings. I can't imagine owning a great dane, but I've always thought they were so neat. My neighbor in Baltimore had one, and he never had any trouble with anyone going through his yard!
  9. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

You gotta love that face!

Try putting a drag line on him when he's in the house. Use a 4 foot cheap leash, not the expensive leather one. Even just rope will do. That way you have a quick and easy "handle" when he tries to run from you and can surprise him with your ability to control him from a distance.

When they are in that chew stage it helps to use the drag line to keep them close to you so they aren't out cooking their own potatoes LOL! Stand on it or keep it in your hand or under your foot when you are sitting down. You'll be surprised how much it helps.

Good luck and enjoy! You may have to become your own "Dog Whisperer!"

10. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

MSS, that's gonna be a big dog. Oh, you probably knew that. Have you visited the site called Allaboutgreatdanes?

I found a joke about a great Dane on the net. It's kinda long, but the punch line was "Dimaggio?"

11. morningsonshine

Thanks for the tip on the web sight, i found a couple good ones when i searched allaboutgreatdanes.

My kitties aren't too impressed with him at all!! LOL

He's going to need alot of training, i don't think my husband understands that, so i hope i have enough energy to at least make him into a safe family dog.

He's treating my youngest son more like a nother pupppy, and that's going to have to be fixed. He growled at him yesterday when he tried to take a toy from him.

Hey greenbean, i think you would make a good dog whisperer, you like puppies! He prefers his potatoes raw! LOL
    Hey sisland, good idea, i was thinking about getting him one of those toys you hide food in to keep him busy.

Stick, and others on the gentle giant, i hope that's what he grows into- but right now bonehead fits!! Or Monster.

Hey poet, Danes are neat dogs, this is our second one. But i think we are in for a much more difficult time with this boy than the girl we had awhile back.

She was the sweetest, easiest dog i ever owned, plus she was on the smaller side of a dane. She was a puppy when my kids were little and was great with them. She passed on about two years ago at the age of 10.

Well we all know boys are more boneheaded than girls anyways.
    She was very soft and listened to reprimands easily, the Monster just tends to ignore us, until more force is used.

Both Danes were and are very clean, we haven't had a single potty mess in the house yet!! YEAH!
    Unlike the little dogs we've had that piddled everywhere and seem hard to house break.

I'll keep you guys updated!
    Would like to find a puppy class but afraid i'll have to drive to far for that.

Thanks again Rock!
  12. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Wow, he sure is a big one but you have to love that face, like someone else just said. He sounds to me like a little, or should I say BIG toddler (-: !!

Just try and be patient with the BIG "lil guy" Wallee . I hope that the nickname bonehead doesn't last too long. Just try and remember that he is still a "baby" sort of !

Barking early in the morning would not be an endearing characteristic for me either but you have to remember that he is still a youngin (-: !!

I am sure you will enjoy him after a little while when he calms down. Glad he is at least trained to do what he needs to do outside, at least the pee. Hopefully, I hope he is also for the other too.

Patience is the key !! Hope your little monster calms down soon and becomes more quiet.